Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by psollitt
Just spoke to FB .. And according to the agent i spoke with , They HAVE heard the rumours about elite plus members loosing all free lounge access on European flights in economy so only paid lounge access ... But no decision has finally been made regarding this .. I cannot believe they would be THAT stupid !!!! Can they ???
When that day arrives, that will be the end of my segment-running each year to maintain at least Gold on KLM. I probably should be over it now, but I actually do like the lounge access. If that goes, then I may just as well be Ivory (gives me a free bag) as Silver, Gold or even Platinum (the level bonus doesn't count for much when you're only earning 25% - or probably soon 0% - on most of your flights).

I realise I'm not the type of "frequent flyer" that KLM wants (nearly all short-haul flights on the cheapest available tickets), but if they start devaluing their status, then their Frequent Flyers are liable to leave in greater numbers than after the April Fools changes.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
I doubt that is going to happen to be honest as that would go against Skyteam policy..
Skyteam is based in Amsterdam, so KLM can call around, bring a tin of biscuits, or one of their huisjes, and get them to change their policy. (Nothing is set in stone).

And if continent-wide flights in North America don't qualify for lounge access, then why should it be any different in Europe???

The Skyteam alliance may be loosening quite considerably, anyway.

But anyway, KLM could decide not to grant access to FB flyers on European flights but grant it to other Skyteam Elite Plus flyers. Crazy? Indeed, but the patient is showing signs of delirium. I think there's a very nasty illness on its way.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Just spoke to FB .. And according to the agent i spoke with , They HAVE heard the rumours about elite plus members loosing all free lounge access on European flights in economy so only paid lounge access ... But no decision has finally been made regarding this .. I cannot believe they would be THAT stupid !!!! Can they ???
I am afraid they can and that other European airlines would eagerly follow suit. I can imagine that for European flights in Y FBG would loose the privilege, FTLs with LH &co, and silvers with BA. Actually LH did a similar thing with its Germanwings flights (all LH non-HUB flights within Europe), FTL's have to pay for lounge access (25 euros only). That are the consequences of the vicious circle of cost-cutting.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Gajan
I doubt that is going to happen to be honest as that would go against Skyteam policy..
I concur with Irishguy28. As I outlined earlier, claiming that all flights within EU and EEA are domestic flights would me much in line with DL's policy of no lounge access for domestic flights for STE+s in Y.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:04 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ajs123
I concur with Irishguy28. As I outlined earlier, claiming that all flights within EU and EEA are domestic flights would me much in line with DL's policy of no lounge access for domestic flights for STE+s in Y.
That would also impact Platinum members though.

They can of course just make Golds equal to Skyteam Elite, instead of Elite+. That would require about a year of advance notice though, but, at the end of this month that would be the right time to announce such change for 2014..

Of course, such a change would mean that their largest FF base will walk over to the competitor. Not sure if they would be that stupid..
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by JPMNLD
What to expect next?

These months I fly to the UK every week. Although I am plat and usually do not travel with more then 1 checked-in suitcase, these measure's make me think about to switching to BA. I also have Priority Pass, so I basically don't need my E+ for lounge access. Around May/ June, I will be doing some intercontinental flights in business, so I would assume that I will get status pretty fast with BA.
Should I start with this now?
Just got rebooked on BA for my cancelled flight, this must be a sign...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by ajs123
How much can they save from this? (or generate by selling access?) Not that much.
If they are really serious about saving money and competing with LCCs, why not just shut the lounges?

Changing the business model never saves money until you actually stop paying the rent, wages and on-costs.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, FlyingBlue Platinum
Still no news regarding the second bag....

Just received this mail by KLM / NL:

>>>

Geachte heer DrLudwig,

KLM heeft onlangs aangekondigd haar ruimbagagebeleid voor Europese vluchten te wijzigen. Voor tickets geboekt vanaf 22 april 2013 is het meenemen van ruimbagage op Europese vluchten een betaalde keuzemogelijkheid voor alle passagiers die in Economy Class reizen.

U als gewaardeerd Flying Blue Gold-deelnemer behoudt uw bagagevrijstelling voor de eerste koffer. Dat betekent dat u kosteloos één stuk ruimbagage mag meenemen op Europese vluchten.

Keuzemogelijkheden
Het meenemen van ruimbagage wordt onderdeel van de uitgebreide keuzemogelijkheden voor uw vlucht. Het is bijvoorbeeld al mogelijk om uw boeking uit te breiden met extra’s zoals een stoel met extra beenruimte of een Economy Comfort-stoel. Hiermee kunt u uw reis volledig samenstellen naar uw persoonlijke voorkeuren.

Prijsverlaging Europese bestemmingen
Voor een groot aantal Europese bestemmingen geldt dat de instaptarieven worden verlaagd naar €99 voor een retourvlucht. Daarmee breidt KLM het aanbod van bestemmingen voor €99 binnen Europa uit naar ruim 30 Europese bestemmingen.

<<<
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andypandy
How much can they save from this? (or generate by selling access?) Not that much.
Ultimately, I think they would lose a lot of money - by "urging" many people to consider other airlines for their travel.

But, all other things being equal, they probably would save a *little* bit of cash by being able to eliminate ALL catering for shorthaul flights (let's face it, they don't spend anything to feed you in the air either). I don't think they'd *make* much by selling access - I don't see many people stumping up to pay for access if they don't get it "for free" as part of their ticket or status - but at busy times they have to keep stocking up the food/wine bottles fairly continuously (the last time I was in the Schengen lounge, I went to top up my glass of apple juice, and came back to find my full plate of food being tipped into the waste by an over-enthusiastic cleaning lady. I'd left the plate looking obviously unfinished, - the table was still obviously occupied, too - but hey, it's KLM's food to throw out, if they so wish!!! But it was annoying)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrLudwig
Just received this mail by KLM / NL:

I've still received nothing.

And given that most news reports have got details of the change incorrect, I'm surprised they have taken so long to contact their "gewaardeerde klanten"
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, FlyingBlue Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I've still received nothing.

And given that most news reports have got details of the change incorrect, I'm surprised they have taken so long to contact their "gewaardeerde klanten"
Seeing that you're plat, I am gold I suspect they've informed their ivory customers first - after all: new rules prove they are most gewaardeerd before any elites.

Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
If only "dat is niet mogelijk."
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I think lounge access is a big incentive to go for Gold for a lot of fliers. Taking that away would be idiotic.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I think lounge access is a big incentive to go for Gold for a lot of fliers. Taking that away would be idiotic.
Indeed for me it is the main reason to try to remain at FB Gold. Other things have been disappointing in the last few months: single episodes concerning how irrops were handled, and the whole EC fiasco.

In fact, on the route I fly most (which is AMS-LIN) I now fly almost always on AZ tickets and metal. The tickets are often cheaper due to the many promotions, and at least on AZ-operated flights I can pick whatever seat I want, without paying extra.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
€€€€€ for checked-in bags

The amount of negative feedback on the KLM Facebook page is quite amazing !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.