Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air France/KLM FB-GOLD, Ethiad Guests GOLD, HHonors DIAMOND, Lufthansa Miles&More
KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

KLM wil geld voor ruimbagage AMSTERDAM - KLM gaat vanaf april geld vragen voor ruimbagage. Een koffer inchecken via internet, kost 15 euro extra. Wie op Schiphol een onaangemelde koffer incheckt, moet 30 euro betalen.

Op die manier hoopt de luchtvaartmaatschappij extra opbrengsten te genereren.

De verwachting is dat meer passagiers proberen hun spullen in de handbagage te proppen. Het grondpersoneel werd daarom alvast geïnstrueerd de omvang en gewicht van handbagage streng te controleren.

De KLM is niet de enige die een tariefsverhoging inzet. KLM-dochter en prijsvechter Transavia vraagt 10 tot 100 euro per koffer in het ruim, afhankelijk van boekingstijdstip en gewicht.

From 1st of April 2013 KLM will charge passengers for cheked-in bags (Internet € 15,- and at counter at Airport € 30,-)

Last edited by Gajan; Feb 15, 2013 at 8:39 am Reason: Change title
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air France/KLM FB-GOLD, Ethiad Guests GOLD, HHonors DIAMOND, Lufthansa Miles&More
'Reizigers betalen binnenkort voor koffer bij KLM'
AMSTERDAM - Op KLM-vluchten binnen Europa moeten reizigers binnenkort gaan betalen voor het meenemen van een koffer.
Dat melden verschillende media woensdag. De luchtvaartmaatschappij gaat naar verluidt 15 euro per vlucht vragen voor een bagagestuk in het ruim.

Ter compensatie zegt KLM volgens NOS meer vluchten tegen een lagere prijs aan te zullen bieden. Mensen die lid worden van de KLM-club hoeven niet te betalen voor hun koffer.

On European Flights according to KLM check-in bags need to be paid for. To compensate passengers more flights will be offered for lower prices! (IMO this is not generating more money which seems to be the target of KLM)

Further: Passenger member of KLM-CLUB (I hope they now the name of there own Frequent Flyer Program) or people whom become member do not have to pay! I think Flying Blue member can check in bags for free.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:56 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Since you didn't state the source for the first one, I'll do it: http://www.telegraaf.nl/reiskrant/21...mbagage__.html. And for the second one it's http://nos.nl/artikel/473541-ook-bij...je-koffer.html
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold STE+
But for flying blue members it is still free, so no need to worry for a lot a people here.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FT, HHonors Diamond
Just like on Air France: MaXi price, MiNi service... At least, KLM does not make pay yet for miles like Air France does. AFKLM= Ryanair high cost version?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Wonderful...even more people trying to stuff their kitchen sink into the overheads. Wonder what they will do re: gate checked bags on the F70 and E190 flights..........
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Rolandvdk
But for flying blue members it is still free, so no need to worry for a lot a people here.
There is one minor point of concern though. The stricter cabine baggage policy and checks may see our cabin baggage disapear into the hold sometimes.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Rolandvdk
Somehow, I don't think that will actually be what happens, if this is true. I would suspect that Ivory members might still have to fork out.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by petitaix
At least, KLM does not make pay yet for miles like Air France does.
And you know this how?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FT, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And you know this how?
Well, it is not in the news so far. But sure, we might get surprised by KLM instating MiNi service on their European network...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold STE+
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Somehow, I don't think that will actually be what happens, if this is true. I would suspect that Ivory members might still have to fork out.
I think gold and plats are definately free maybe silvers and ivory members have to pay.

"There is one minor point of concern though. The stricter cabine baggage policy and checks may see our cabin baggage disapear into the hold sometimes."

I think you have a point here, i flew a couple of times transavia when they changed to the pay for you bag policy. At the boarding it was a huge mess with people forced to pay for bags. Lets hope klm organize this better at the gate.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: FB Gold
An inevitable development. The US carriers have been doing this for ages now, LH have started as well by farming out their regional point to point services to Germanwings. I assume the charges will not apply to those using European flights to connect to Long Haul services. The European network carriers have to work out ways to compete with the Low Cost carriers on intra-Europe point to point travel but also with the Asian mega carriers on long haul connecting traffic.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
Since you didn't state the source for the first one, I'll do it: http://www.telegraaf.nl/reiskrant/21...mbagage__.html. And for the second one it's http://nos.nl/artikel/473541-ook-bij...je-koffer.html
Sorry for that, I forgot the source. Thank you for mention it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:57 am
Original Poster

How will KLM handle eventually this new policy for European flights already booked before this message, introduction of new pricing policy? Do people have to pay? I have some bookings (partner Ivory, myself Silver) and booked KLM based on service, price. I´m not happy at all if I have to pay for bags for excisting reservations.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
:t d:
Now they just need to have a buy on board program and they will be a full low cost carrier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.