Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Evert
How will KLM handle eventually this new policy for European flights already booked before this message, introduction of new pricing policy? Do people have to pay? I have some bookings (partner Ivory, myself Silver) and booked KLM based on service, price. I´m not happy at all if I have to pay for bags for excisting reservations.
I think that you just have to see how it was handled by AF when they introduced the Mini fare. I would bet that KL will follow a similar method, with minor differences. pax transiting in AMS longhaul will not have to pay for bags, nor will pax with high fare class.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
:t d:
Now they just need to have a buy on board program and they will be a full low cost carrier!
No. They will have to offer 20% lower prices before they can be LCC.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JPMNLD
LOL.. Still it is a shame that they have to resort to this. This takeover by AF (really funny that KLM still insists it was a merger...yeah, right) has not worked at all for KL. So being dressed down as a cheap version of what it used to be will eventually cause KLM to be renamed and -branded AF..
Oh yes - and by flying BA from LHR you'll enjoy better lounges than AMS, easier in terminal connections for most flights and no queues one hour before departure to be put in a holding pen after the gate security.

And most importantly - lower fares for taking the indirect route. (With your free checked bag).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Evert
How will KLM handle eventually this new policy for European flights already booked before this message, introduction of new pricing policy? Do people have to pay? I have some bookings (partner Ivory, myself Silver) and booked KLM based on service, price. I´m not happy at all if I have to pay for bags for excisting reservations.
It should now be clear that this applies only to new bookings made on or after April 22.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, FlyingBlue Platinum
FB Gold 2 bags

Being FB Gold and taking 2 pieces of lugages - would that cost me 15 Euro (1st free) or will I be charged the 55 Euro now in force for 2nd bag for 'regular' customers?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
it seems like everybody will have the option soon to buy Crown Lounge access.
Aw, shucks. Might as well outsource the lounges to Menzies, Serviceair or whomever. Rake the money in and cram 'm full.

Originally Posted by Xandrios
All Flying blue members (Ivory too) can check in one bag for free.
Have they gone completely nuts? Do they want every single once-in-a-lifetime/decade/year pax to sign up for FB just so they can brag about having the FF program with most members?

Originally Posted by Xandrios
About halfway during boarding all the overhead bins were full.
I boarded a shorthaul KL flight today. All the bins above my row (first behind the curtain) were full. All the bins in the EB cabin were full, mostly with Y pax bags. A friendly FA finally located some space farther down, but I opted to place my bag under a seat instead. I would welcome strict enforcement of the hand luggage rules, provided this was done consistently and sufficient resources were made available to avoid delays at the gate.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I would actually welcome the opportunity to buy something on board. The current offering on Euro shorthaul for most of the day (waffle or tiny bag of pretzels) is abysmal.
That's an understatement. Bags full of disgusting E-numbers is what you get. I don't wish to buy anything on board either. Choice and quality may be limited, and you have to wait until the trolley comes along. Much easier to bring what you need. Some fruit, nuts and chocolate will keep hunger nicely at bay on a shorthaul flight.

Originally Posted by JPMNLD
I will be doing some intercontinental flights in business, so I would assume that I will get status pretty fast with BA.
Should I start with this now?
Go for it. LHR is a third-world dump, but T5 is OK, and Club Europe is better than EB, although the food can be hit and miss.

Johan
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
This is an absolutely barking idea... so we will from the 22nd of April have Delta, Air france and KLM all with radically different luggage rules ... i can see many standup arguments at check in desks around the world !

I await to see the answer to the 2nd bag €55 or €15 cost ... I have FB ringing me back tomorrow as the poor agent I spoke to was not even aware they were changing the luggage rules !
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Complete idiots. Ultimately the main people being punished by the new system are elite/elite+ members...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by psollitt
This is an absolutely barking idea... so we will from the 22nd of April have Delta, Air france and KLM all with radically different luggage rules ... i can see many standup arguments at check in desks around the world !

I await to see the answer to the 2nd bag €55 or €15 cost ... I have FB ringing me back tomorrow as the poor agent I spoke to was not even aware they were changing the luggage rules !
Especially on codeshare routes

I was thinking right along these lines

So I buy I ticked with an AZXXX and I get luggage, but with KLXXXX no luggage??? Boh
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
At my home airport even the LCC Jet 2 offers 1 free bag ! KLM are now officially worse than Low cost carriers regarding luggage !
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terminalfive
So I buy I ticked with an AZXXX and I get luggage, but with KLXXXX no luggage??? Boh
Well, sectors to/from Italy are exempt...which admittedly doesn't cover all AZ codeshares on KL!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
KLM has been trending topic on Twitter today. I think FB applications are booming now.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's hope they fixed the problems with signing up!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...ying-blue.html
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I asked KLM about the second bag fee for Elites. Their answer was it wasn't known yet.

Last edited by KLflyerRalph; Feb 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why haven't they thought through it completely and fully before deciding to launch it, and to publish the details?

They haven't learned from the status match fiasco, apparently!!!

They should update the Meet & Seat app to let you know who onboard has a free luggage allowance that they won't be using!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.