Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Sixt Plat
I think this is a poor decision. KLM should compete on basis of service with other 'premium' airlines to distinguish themselves. They should not compete with LCC . In that way, as a consumer you will have a choice: pay less and get less, pay more and all is included. If I really want the hassle of choosing every bit, I will fly LCC. All in all I see things changing for the worst. The addition of an extra row in the 737 makes every flight a 'free for all' with regards to stowing your cabine baggage.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, FlyingBlue Platinum
€€€€€ for checked-in bags

Legally it can only be introduced on new bookings.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
15E per segment, I find very expensive unless they really drop their price. If I have to pay 30E on top of the 99E fares which previously included a suitcase, I see no reason whatsoever to fly KLM instead of LCC's.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Luchtvaartnieuws.nl
AMSTELVEEN - KLM gaat vanaf april een toeslag vragen voor het inchecken van koffers. Dit heeft de maatschappij woensdag tegenover Luchtvaartnieuws.nl bevestigd. Wie bij het inchecken op internet bagage opgeeft betaalt vijftien euro per koffer en als de bagage pas op Schiphol wordt opgegeven is het tarief dertig euro. Het zou alleen gaan om passagiers in economy class.

KLM is de eerste grote luchtvaartmaatschappij in Europa die de toeslag invoert. Bij enkele Amerikaanse airlines bestaat de heffing al langere tijd, terwijl ook Europese prijsvechters als Ryanair en easyJet passagiers laten betalen voor ruimbagage. KLM-dochter Transavia hanteert sinds 2011 een systeem met toeslagen voor koffers.

KLM gaat verder strenger toezien op gewicht en afmetingen van de handbagage om te voorkomen dat passagiers te veel meenemen naar hun zitplaats. Passagiers hebben straks één mogelijkheid om onder de toeslagen uit te komen: lid worden van het frequent flyer programma Flying Blue van KLM en Air France - dit lidmaatschap is gratis.

Niet alle luchtvaartmaatschappijen maken de bagageregels strenger. Malaysian Airlines doet precies het omgekeerde: vanaf donderdag, 14 februari, mogen passagiers in economy class gratis dertig kilo bagage meenemen, in plaats van twintig kilo nu.

KLM zal woensdag rond het middaguur op een persconferentie nadere details bekend maken. Luchtvaartnieuws.nl houdt u hiervan op de hoogte.
The article mentions that being a member of Flying Blue would result in NOT paying the bag fees. No mention of Elite membership.
Must suck for the people who want to use another Skyteam program.
But I'll wait and see until this is confirmed.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
This seems like a non-starter. If FB members (regardless of level) are exempt, then people can just join FB for the sake of saving 30 EUR. Mileage earning on SkyTeam isn't so attractive anymore if you save 30 EUR instead.
But seriously, KLM dare to ask 300 EUR for an AMS-NUE return in cheap Y and ask another 30 EUR for bags? It's time for weed to be made illegal in Amstelveen - you can see what kind of impact it has on some people's brain.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:40 am

Various other sites also mention it remains free for FB members. That would also mean that Skyteam Elites only get their first checked bag free, right?
I also don't like it that they will check more stringent at the gate. I normally stay below the limit but it could be a madhouse when GA's have to force pax to pay for too heavy luggage (would duty free be included?) and possibly go into arguments. It might also lead to longer lines.
And no one noticed the new PIN-terminals at the gate and thought of a new revenue-boost measure?
And if they want to mirror Delta, why not include a free bag with the FB AMEX?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:50 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
For flying blue members (elite or not) this will also have consequences: Right now I take two 23KG bags with me for free, I suspect this will be reduced to one bag only.

Recently I flew Transavia. And the experience was horrible, but not so much due to the flight itself. Because Transavia charges for all checked bags everybody tries to take as much as possible on board. About halfway during boarding all the overhead bins were full. All the other hand luggage had to be taken to the hold, with many lengthy complaints from people taking fragile things with them. In the end we departed almost 30 minutes late due to the issues with hand luggage during boarding.

So..if that is going to be the KLM experience from now on...together with the crappy 'food' there is absolutely no reason any more to fly KLM instead of Transavia or Easyjet. I do not believe at all that ticket prices will drop 30 euros like promised. And if it indeed does not, price-wise, KLM is at a huge disadvantage.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:12 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Some news from the KLM facebook page: Only applies to tickets issued on/after the 22nd of April 2013. All Flying blue members (Ivory too) can check in one bag for free. Second free bag for Elites will not apply any more.

Their "defense" is that they will increase the number of cities that will be offered for 99 euro. So no price reductions on each route; just a slight reduction on some routes.

Last edited by Xandrios; Feb 13, 2013 at 4:23 am
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Some news from the KLM facebook page: Only applies to tickets issued on/after the 22nd of April 2013. All Flying blue members (Ivory too) can check in one bag for free.
^^^
Then they can brag they have the biggest frequent flier program of Europe. Well duhhhh...

Second free bag for Elites will not apply any more.

Their "defense" is that they will increase the number of cities that will be offered for 99 euro. So no price reductions on each route; just a slight reduction on some routes.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FT, HHonors Diamond
And what will happen with codeshare flights? If you fly on AF with a KL ticket for instance or vice-versa?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:42 am

I have got confirmed what Xandrios said and received the official statement:

Gewijzigde bagageregels voor Europese KLM-vluchten
Vanaf 22 april 2013 is het meenemen van ruimbagage op Europese vluchten een betaalde keuzemogelijkheid voor alle passagiers die in Economy Class reizen.
U kunt 1 koffer kosteloos inchecken, als u:
  • Flying Blue-deelnemer bent (Schrijf u in ... u spaart ook meteen Miles!). Flying Blue Elite-deelnemers kunnen 1 koffer kosteloos inchecken.
  • Reist namens een bedrijf met een corporate contract of BlueBiz-account.
  • Een volledig flexibel ticket (boekingsklasse Y of B) binnen Europa boekt.
  • Naar Georgië, Italië, Turkije, de (sic) Oekraïne, Rusland of Wit-Rusland reist.
  • Binnen Europa reist als onderdeel van een intercontinentale reis.
Prijsverlaging Europese bestemmingen
Voor retourvluchten naar nog meer Europese bestemmingen worden de instaptarieven verlaagd naar EUR 99. Daarmee breiden wij het aanbod van Europese bestemmingen voor EUR 99 uit naar ruim 30.
And on a related note, it seems like everybody will have the option soon to buy Crown Lounge access.

Last edited by KLflyerRalph; Feb 13, 2013 at 4:50 am
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:50 am

Does anyone know whether the check-in baggage allowance for FB Elite members is still 2 free bags for intercontinental travel?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by vanderlow
Does anyone know whether the check-in baggage allowance for FB Elite members is still 2 free bags for intercontinental travel?
That remains 2 (1 free + 1 as Elite). For European it is 0 free +1 as FB member with no differentiation between Ivory and Elite.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Now they just need to have a buy on board program and they will be a full low cost carrier!
I would actually welcome the opportunity to buy something on board. The current offering on Euro shorthaul for most of the day (waffle or tiny bag of pretzels) is abysmal.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:59 am

Second free bag for Elites will not apply any more.
So our benefits are being eroded even further.

First the Economy Comfort fiasco, now this.

Is there really any point in still flying KLM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.