Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
At last, the love letter finally arrived! Orwellian "chocolate ratio" phrasing as expected. I continue to have one luggage piece for free, while the last time I checked I continued to have two pieces of luggage for free.

Dear Mr ajs123,

KLM recently announced that it will be changing its baggage policy for European flights. For tickets booked as from 22 April 2013, check-in baggage will be a paid option for all passengers travelling in Economy Class.

As a valued Flying Blue Platinum member you continue to have the right to check in one piece of check-in luggage free of charge on European flights.

Options
The choice to check in baggage will become part of a range of flight options. It is also possible to expand your booking with options such as a seat with extra legroom or a seat in Economy Comfort. This way KLM offers you the chance to customise your trip based on your personal preferences.

Fare reductions to European destinations
For a large number of European destinations, KLM is reducing its lowest available fares to €99 for a return flight. This expands the range of destinations available at this price within Europe to over 30 locations.

Click here for more information on check-in baggage

We hope to see you on board soon.
my highlights
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
I feel well and truly valued! I feel that I've been right, royally valued. But I shall continue to be valued!

-- H
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FT, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ajs123
At last, the love letter finally arrived! Orwellian "chocolate ratio" phrasing as expected. I continue to have one luggage piece for free, while the last time I checked I continued to have two pieces of luggage for free.

my highlights
Isn't Economy Comfort free for Platinum ?? They don't even know the perks for their frequent flyers...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by petitaix
Isn't Economy Comfort free for Platinum ?? They don't even know the perks for their frequent flyers...
Yes, it should be free and for now still is. I just did not have the stamina to dwell on that point beyond highlighting the absurdity.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Wonder if lounge access will go the same as EC: free for Plat and discounts for other Elites.
I also find it very bad they are going to sell Skypriority. That beats the whole concept because it's designed for premium pax. More crowdedness is exactly what we need.
But hey, apparently everyone want to customise their trip and pay, right?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Today I was (quite exceptionally) traveling with one checked-in bag. After reading the new policy I checked in also my small trolley... more space in the overheads!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
In fact, if I've been paying for something I've not been using for all these years (as KLM suggest I have been doing), then I am seriously considering billing them €30 for each short-haul return I've taken without luggage over the last few years.
Now there's an idea! To the best of my recollection I've not checked a bag on KL shorthaul for 15 years at least. So how much does 26 (on average) x 15 x €30 make? A tidy sum!

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
(and "valued Flying Blue Ivory" Really???)
Hey, look on the bright side! At least they called you "valued", whereas I was just advised to join FB

Johan
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
OT - Just to say....

EU Commuter - that video really made me laugh.....thank you!

FB
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Platinum.
For me, I don't want any "political" stuff.

All I want is a reasonable, easy to use airline service, that shows me respect as a passenger, and perhaps a bit more as an FB Gold who has flown KLM for almost 20 years.

The extra checked in baggage allowance, I have used once before, and will perhaps need to use again next week.

The catering changes insult me as a passenger, on shorthaul European economy I now close my eyes and pretent to be asleep when they serve the dreaded "snacks".
Why would anybody want the junk they now serve!

And at the same time the cabin atmosphere, the "vibe", on board has died over the past year, no more professional smiles from the cabin crew, I understand why.

Is a bit of respect too much to expect?

Bunch of AssClowns!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by Davee58
For me, I don't want any "political" stuff.

All I want is a reasonable, easy to use airline service, that shows me respect as a passenger, and perhaps a bit more as an FB Gold who has flown KLM for almost 20 years.

The extra checked in baggage allowance, I have used once before, and will perhaps need to use again next week.

The catering changes insult me as a passenger, on shorthaul European economy I now close my eyes and pretent to be asleep when they serve the dreaded "snacks".
Why would anybody want the junk they now serve!

And at the same time the cabin atmosphere, the "vibe", on board has died over the past year, no more professional smiles from the cabin crew, I understand why.

Is a bit of respect too much to expect?

Bunch of AssClowns!
so when they take away your lounge access for free how are you going to feel?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Talking

Originally Posted by Davee58
Yes same here - KLM 's shorthaul inflight culinary offerings certainly puts the current horse meat infestation scandal into perspective .
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite *G, AF/KLM FB Elite+, A|Club Platinum, HH G
Ridiculous. Truly ridiculous.

And how is this aligning with SkyTeam extra baggage allowance. Sigh, dumb dumb.....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by davedior
Ridiculous. Truly ridiculous.

And how is this aligning with SkyTeam extra baggage allowance. Sigh, dumb dumb.....
Well, from what's going on over in the "SkyTeam" forum, it seems that SkyTeam is looking to incorporate LCCs into the alliance, on a different 'tier' from the mainline carrier members.

-- Henry
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Maybe KLM think they can also save money by trading their current SkyTeam membership down to that level!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, so I just got another e-mail. This one was from FB, and they did call me a "gewaardeerd Flying Blue Platinum-deelnemer". The mail I got earlier inviting me to join FB so I could check one bag for free was from KLM Nederland (which probably explains why it was in English). It would appear that KL and FB don't talk to each other. Then again, why should they? KL seems to think that FB Elites are a pain in the behind whose benefits should be diluted at every opportunity.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.