Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
I see that the testing center in the airport is a trusted testing partner for Hawaii, they say they can turnaround within two hours. I would be getting a COVID test prior to returning to Hawaii from Thailand, but Hawaii only accepts tests from programs listed on their trusted testing partner program. Of course, none of those are in Thailand, but the location in Narita could work. Has anyone had experience getting a COVID test during transit? How was it?
As far as I know, the testing facility in Narita is only offered land side, so if you can't enter Japan (Japanese citizen or resident foreigner) you can't use the testing facility.
​​
They advertise 2 hours, in practical terms you should allow at least 3 hours for the results to come back.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As far as I know, the testing facility in Narita is only offered land side, so if you can't enter Japan (Japanese citizen or resident foreigner) you can't use the testing facility.
​​
They advertise 2 hours, in practical terms you should allow at least 3 hours for the results to come back.
Thank you for the feedback. I attempted to contact the testing clinic but didn't get an answer. I guess I'll just have to quarantine upon arrival to Hawaii from Bangkok, unless someone has any other information. I would assume that the clinic at Haneda is land side as well? Looks like it from what I can tell.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Thank you for the feedback. I attempted to contact the testing clinic but didn't get an answer. I guess I'll just have to quarantine upon arrival to Hawaii from Bangkok, unless someone has any other information. I would assume that the clinic at Haneda is land side as well? Looks like it from what I can tell.
You may want to check the new CDC order went into effect on Jan. 26, which this applies to the U.S. citizens also.

What happens if I don’t take a test and want to travel to the US?
Air passengers traveling to the US are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery. Airlines must confirm the negative test result or documentation of recovery for all passengers before boarding. If a passenger chooses not to present a test result or documentation of recovery, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.
If you do not have a negative COVID-19 test results within 72 hrs. of departure from Bangkok and your final destination is the U.S. then the airline may deny you boarding at Bangkok. This is not Japan related so don't want to go off topic on Japan forum, but if you look around other forums on FlyerTalk there are reports of passengers denied boarding. One example at America Airline forum, a passenger had a ticket booked Country A - U.S.A. - Country B, where Country B required negative COVID-19 test results. The passenger was planning to get rapid COVID-19 test during a transit at the U.S. since the passenger was the U.S. citizen or a green card holder. American Airlines at Country A denied this passenger boarding because the destination is Country B but the passenger did not have negative COVID-19 test result which required for an entry to Country B.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
You may want to check the new CDC order went into effect on Jan. 26, which this applies to the U.S. citizens also.

If you do not have a negative COVID-19 test results within 72 hrs. of departure from Bangkok and your final destination is the U.S. then the airline may deny you boarding at Bangkok. This is not Japan related so don't want to go off topic on Japan forum, but if you look around other forums on FlyerTalk there are reports of passengers denied boarding. One example at America Airline forum, a passenger had a ticket booked Country A - U.S.A. - Country B, where Country B required negative COVID-19 test results. The passenger was planning to get rapid COVID-19 test during a transit at the U.S. since the passenger was the U.S. citizen or a green card holder. American Airlines at Country A denied this passenger boarding because the destination is Country B but the passenger did not have negative COVID-19 test result which required for an entry to Country B.
I know, that is why I'm getting a COVID test prior to leaving Bangkok. The issue is avoiding quarantine upon arrival to Honolulu. Currently, Hawaii only accepts negative tests from their "trusted partners" - none of which are located in Thailand. I was trying to get another COVID test from a trusted partner (there are trusted testing partners in NRT and HND) but I wasn't sure if I could do it in transit. I don't mind getting tested twice, once before, once in transit, but it doesn't look like that is an option due to where the testing sites are in the terminals (all land side?). I could quarantine in Honolulu with little issue since I work remotely anyway and can get groceries delivered if needed at home, but if I can avoid a quarantine completely so I can go for walks outside still, that would be ideal.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Will be transiting NRT next weekend on my way to BKK.

Any recent experience regarding lounge operations? Are showers still available?

Also, assume that Duty Free shop would be open?

Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Will be transiting NRT next weekend on my way to BKK.

Any recent experience regarding lounge operations? Are showers still available?

Also, assume that Duty Free shop would be open?

Thanks.
Which side are we talking about, T1 or T2?

Though generally speaking, the JAL first class lounge is open and the ANA Suite Lounge is open. They are also open to people normally going to the business class side.

JAL has the showers open, not sure about ANA.

Not sure about the exact shops that are open, but the ones that are close pretty early. 5pm to 6pm, or so.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Which side are we talking about, T1 or T2?

Though generally speaking, the JAL first class lounge is open and the ANA Suite Lounge is open. They are also open to people normally going to the business class side.

JAL has the showers open, not sure about ANA.

Not sure about the exact shops that are open, but the ones that are close pretty early. 5pm to 6pm, or so.
It is United connecting to ANA, so I think that is Terminal 1? So would be looking at ANA lounge info.

Sounds like Duty Free should be available, as I arrive around 3PM.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is United connecting to ANA, so I think that is Terminal 1? So would be looking at ANA lounge info.

T1 and the ANA Suite Lounge indeed.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:33 pm

shower @ NH Suite lounge was open when I was there in Nov (doubt they would change)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814730-post87.html

would recommend shopping first before going to lounge - there were one or two stores that were open before entering lounge, but closed after.

some have 4:30pm/5pm/5:30pm closing time and not open all 7 days, see pdf below
https://www.narita-airport.jp/files/...atinghours.pdf

eg
Fa-So-La DRUGSTORE 第2サテライト店
Fa-So-La DRUGSTORE No.2 Satellite
WED,THU,FRI,SUN
9:00-17:00
Old Feb 4, 2021, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
shower @ NH Suite lounge was open when I was there in Nov (doubt they would change)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814730-post87.html

would recommend shopping first before going to lounge - there were one or two stores that were open before entering lounge, but closed after.

some have 4:30pm/5pm/5:30pm closing time and not open all 7 days, see pdf below
https://www.narita-airport.jp/files/...atinghours.pdf

eg
Fa-So-La DRUGSTORE 第2サテライト店
Fa-So-La DRUGSTORE No.2 Satellite
WED,THU,FRI,SUN
9:00-17:00
Great advice. Will do.
Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This may seem like a silly question, but...have a relative who has purchased an AA/CX ticket, USA-NRT-HKG, normal ~2 hour layover, single ticket. How do I prove to them that NRT transit is "sterile" and perfectly normal & frequent, and that this does not cause any "issues" along the way? I.e., this is not "entering" Japan, nor causing any issues that would disallow boarding in NRT nor arrival in HKG.

21 day quarantine in HK is already planned as required (relative is a permanent resident of HK so no issues there). No issues w/ getting the negative PCR test in the US prior to departure too.

Many thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not easy to prove the non existence of obstacles to a transit. But maybe the description of the transit procedure without security check when arriving at Narita from the US is still on the airport website. The flow certainly still is in place.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This may seem like a silly question, but...have a relative who has purchased an AA/CX ticket, USA-NRT-HKG, normal ~2 hour layover, single ticket. How do I prove to them that NRT transit is "sterile" and perfectly normal & frequent, and that this does not cause any "issues" along the way? I.e., this is not "entering" Japan, nor causing any issues that would disallow boarding in NRT nor arrival in HKG.

21 day quarantine in HK is already planned as required (relative is a permanent resident of HK so no issues there). No issues w/ getting the negative PCR test in the US prior to departure too.

Many thanks.
Get to airport early
Timaticweb allows you to input the trip including transit, or use their map utility to lookup japan
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nal-travel.jsp
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

It would say something like transit-japan: allowed, passengers via NRT must transit same calendar day
Old Feb 11, 2021, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
It would say something like transit-japan: allowed, passengers via NRT must transit same calendar day
What happens if you fly to NRT and while you are there, your connecting flight is cancelled and you are forced to stay the night in Japan? The airport is closed during the night, so you can't stay there.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Im a new user
What happens if you fly to NRT and while you are there, your connecting flight is cancelled and you are forced to stay the night in Japan? The airport is closed during the night, so you can't stay there.
That's part of irrops and it sucks. No idea what would happen, part of the risk. You may be put on another flight back stateside
also, the next flight to hkg destination may be in 3 days, not ideal either if you were going thru HND (which allows overnight transit)

Ideally you'll schedule via HND, but that's not always feasible. That's part of researching as much as you can and figuring out a backup plan (i.e. don't get on plane if there's a 6 hour delay from usa, check schedule of OW flights from HND-HKG and requesting reroute).

Obviously more complicated if you require a confirmed hotel appointment for quarantine with a small window to arrival, like australia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.