Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Friend soon flies UA EWR-NRT-GUM-SPN and asks how to find what lounges are open en route? Is LoungeBuddy (i.e. NRT) trustworthy? I found little in FT's Japan forum and none of the 1st 60 threads in UA MP were about lounges.

It's been so long since I've posted here that I feel rusty so pardon if this is the improper thread or forum.
The ANA Suite Lounge in the 50'ies satellite is open. Though with quite reduced hours compared to normal. If I remember correctly the Guam flights leave rather late, so the lounge may well close well before departure. ANA's homepage have more details, as the specific opening hours does get adjusted frequently according to need.

Despite being the first class lounge normally, all passengers with lounge access are sent here. Services are slightly reduced compared to normal first class only level.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Friend soon flies UA EWR-NRT-GUM-SPN and asks how to find what lounges are open en route? Is LoungeBuddy (i.e. NRT) trustworthy? I found little in FT's Japan forum and none of the 1st 60 threads in UA MP were about lounges.

It's been so long since I've posted here that I feel rusty so pardon if this is the improper thread or forum.
For NRT, check out NH forum. At least one of their lounges are open.
Old May 4, 2021, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
question for those with knowledge on transit & entry restrictions in japan during covid times....

little bit of a background....i made a redemption booking on cx for my brother & his family for the 29th of june....4 jfk-del tickets in business class....all 4 are indian citizens who are currently in usa on a b1/b2 visa & have been there for almost 4 months....they have to leave usa by the 7th of july....now cx flights from hkg - india remain suspended indefinitely....i'm pretty confident this ban is unlikely to come to an end by the end of june....

since cx is not flying to india right now, i called to ask them what alternatives would be available since their flight will ultimately get cancelled....after a lot of back & forth cx have agreed to shift all 4 to a jal flight on the 7th of july....the problem is that the flight goes from jfk-nrt & then hnd-del....the connection time is 18 hours so no worries on that front....however i have no clue if they will be eligible for a transit visa at this time....

entry to those who have been in india for the previous 14 days is banned in japan but i'm not sure if entry from usa is banned or not....does anyone have any clue or experience with transit in japan during covid times????
little bit of an update here....cx has found a flight with a connection in hnd....the only problem is that the layover is almost 19 hours....they land in hnd around 4pm & their flight to del is around 11am the following morning....

i'm assuming this transit would be allowed & they would be able to spend the night at the transit hotel in terminal 3????please correct me if i'm wrong....
Old May 4, 2021, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
little bit of an update here....cx has found a flight with a connection in hnd....the only problem is that the layover is almost 19 hours....they land in hnd around 4pm & their flight to del is around 11am the following morning....

i'm assuming this transit would be allowed & they would be able to spend the night at the transit hotel in terminal 3????please correct me if i'm wrong....
The connection is allowed as long as it is below 24 hours. The transit hotel is currently closed, and the lounges have relatively short opening hours compared to normal, though they never were 24 hour operations.

They will need to spend the night on a chair, bench, or the floor in the terminal.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The connection is allowed as long as it is below 24 hours. The transit hotel is currently closed, and the lounges have relatively short opening hours compared to normal, though they never were 24 hour operations.

They will need to spend the night on a chair, bench, or the floor in the terminal.
are you sure the transit hotel is closed????they are taking bookings & seem to have a number of covid protocols displayed on their website regarding reduced service....
Old May 4, 2021, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are you sure the transit hotel is closed????they are taking bookings & seem to have a number of covid protocols displayed on their website regarding reduced service....
Pretty sure
https://m.the-royalpark.jp/the/tokyo...ils.php?id=126

Scroll down to the English part
■The Royal Park Hotel Tokyo Haneda Transit(Transit Hotel in Departure Area)
Operation is temporarily suspended
Old May 4, 2021, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty sure

got it....19 hours without a hotel seems like a deal breaker....
Old May 6, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: EK Plat
Transit - quarantine question

If I start my journey in a country (having been there for more than a fortnight) which is not subject to three day hotel quarantine, but fly on a carrier where the transit country is subject to quarantine, would I then be subject to the quarantine on arrival, even if I remain airside during transit. I cannot seem to find any clear guidance.

e.g. UAE is currently on the list of hotel quarantine countries but Greece is not. What would happen if I travelled ATH-DXB-NRT?
Old May 6, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Lkaroo
e.g. UAE is currently on the list of hotel quarantine countries but Greece is not. What would happen if I travelled ATH-DXB-NRT?
The following Ministry of Foreign Affairs page appears to distinguish between airside transit at a restricted country airport and entering the restricted country:
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

For the time being, foreign nationals who have stayed in any of the following 152 countries/regions within 14 days prior to the application for landing are denied to enter Japan in pursuant to the Article 5, paragraph (1), item (xiv) of Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, unless special exceptional circumstances are found. Note that foreigners (from the countries and regions where the entry bans do not apply) are not denied to enter Japan even when they arrive in Japan via those countries or regions, which are subject to denial of permission to entry, for refueling or transit purpose. Those who entered those countries or regions will, however, be subject to the entry ban.
I leave it to you to determine whether this has any implications for the case that you described. My interpretation is ... the information does not explicitly state that transit at DXB is exempt from hotel quarantine, but there seems to be a chance that this is the intent.

I am not a lawyer and this is not advice.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:30 pm

got it....19 hours without a hotel seems like a deal breaker....
Ua and AI does fly NYC-del nonstop July 7 (if they don't cancel/pause the route)

One way economy $480, one way business $1811.

Seat map so far isn't that bad 30-40% full?, But I'm willing to bet that NH/JL sestmap will be less crowded (at least for JFK-Tokyo, can't say for tokyo-india)

Simplicity sake, nonstop beats one stop anytime (especially if HND transit rules change or Olympics preparation causes flight schedule change again), but it's $ out of pocket

I myself would prefer the Tokyo stop - Sleep on plane, probably stick to USA time and be awake during layover. You should check if oneworld HND lounge showers are available once you land/morning, assuming you fly JAL business both legs
ainternational likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; May 7, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Old May 7, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Pretty sure

Could it be related to the current state of emergency which will (probably but not for sure) be over my the pax’s family’s travel dates?

To OP - suggest you just call the hotel and ask. They may not know yet for sure but they should be helpful and are likely to speak English.
Old May 7, 2021, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Ua and AI does fly NYC-del nonstop July 7 (if they don't cancel/pause the route)

One way economy $480, one way business $1811.

Seat map so far isn't that bad 30-40% full?, But I'm willing to bet that NH/JL sestmap will be less crowded (at least for JFK-Tokyo, can't say for tokyo-india)

Simplicity sake, nonstop beats one stop anytime (especially if HND transit rules change or Olympics preparation causes flight schedule change again), but it's $ out of pocket

I myself would prefer the Tokyo stop - Sleep on plane, probably stick to USA time and be awake during layover. You should check if oneworld HND lounge showers are available once you land/morning, assuming you fly JAL business both legs
if they were traveling by themselves then the 19 hour layover would not have been a problem but with 2 small kids its not a good idea....i've made the change for now & will wait to see if the hotel opens by the time they travel....
Old May 7, 2021, 3:45 pm

if they were traveling by themselves then the 19 hour layover would not have been a problem but with 2 small kids its not a good idea....i've made the change for now & will wait to see if the hotel opens by the time they travel....
There are play areas at HND but unsure if they are open during covid/overnight. Take a peek at the hnd map, should still have reclining chairs and vending machines for drinks maybe food too. Confirm with the hnd airport first
https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/service/..._children.html

Stay overnight in Haneda Airport International Terminal | Haneda Airport User's Blog

Otherwise if price is an issue, buy 6 or 8 seats on UA/AI @$480 each (plane should be 3x4x3). Two rows of 3(left/right) or two rows of 4(middle). Seems like price is valid close in (even tomorrow) so no advance purchase requirement (obviously can change). Can buy&leave same-day if plane looks empty enough, don't need to wait for specific date(unless you need PCR test)

I know UA explicitly allows this (you have to buy it in a certain way EXTRASEAT in name somewhere), not sure if AI allows it

Allows one parent (or two kids) to take turn sleeping. Not ideal, but I've done it countless of times on UA's 77W (whole 3-sest row to myself, didn't pay for extra seat bc plane was empty)

Last edited by paperwastage; May 7, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Old May 7, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
There are play areas at HND but unsure if they are open during covid/overnight. Take a peek at the hnd map, should still have reclining chairs and vending machines for drinks maybe food too. Confirm with the hnd airport first
https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/service/..._children.html

Stay overnight in Haneda Airport International Terminal | Haneda Airport User's Blog

Otherwise if price is an issue, buy 6 or 8 seats on UA/AI @$480 each (plane should be 3x4x3). Two rows of 3(left/right) or two rows of 4(middle). Seems like price is valid close in (even tomorrow) so no advance purchase requirement (obviously can change). Can buy&leave same-day if plane looks empty enough, don't need to wait for specific date(unless you need PCR test)

I know UA explicitly allows this (you have to buy it in a certain way EXTRASEAT in name somewhere), not sure if AI allows it

Allows one parent (or two kids) to take turn sleeping. Not ideal, but I've done it countless of times on UA's 77W (whole 3-sest row to myself, didn't pay for extra seat bc plane was empty)
they have booked 4 refundable business class tickets on dl/af as a backup in case this route doesn't work out....they also have the option of getting the award flight cancelled & then use the cx miles on ba....but will take either one of these routes if the jal flight doesn't work out....
Old May 7, 2021, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
Could it be related to the current state of emergency which will (probably but not for sure) be over my the pax’s family’s travel dates?

To OP - suggest you just call the hotel and ask. They may not know yet for sure but they should be helpful and are likely to speak English.
It has been closed throughout most of the pandemic. Getting close to a year by now. But yes, it wil be reopened at a point.
jib71 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.