FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Transit is allowed. But please note that you can't change airport between Haneda and Narita or vice versa as that would require you to enter Japan. You can't have an overnight connection in Narita, but you can in Haneda.

Can anyone direct me to an official source stating that transit at Haneda is currently permitted? I will be on two tickets with a 7-hour layover, so should have no danger of a misconnect.

Thanks,
Bill
Old Jul 15, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Can anyone direct me to an official source stating that transit at Haneda is currently permitted? I will be on two tickets with a 7-hour layover, so should have no danger of a misconnect.

Thanks,
Bill
The US embassy in Japan and the UK FO. Are probably the ones that articulates it most clearly. There are less resources for something not being banned, than there is for something being banned.

https://www.osac.gov/Country/Japan/C...estic%20flight.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
The US embassy in Japan and the UK FO. Are probably the ones that articulates it most clearly. There are less resources for something not being banned, than there is for something being banned.

https://www.osac.gov/Country/Japan/C...estic%20flight.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:33 pm

where does it say no overnight in narita. I don't see that anywhere
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:45 pm

From the US Embassy Tokyo automatic response email:Q: Can I transit through Tokyo on my way somewhere else?

A: Based on the most recent information that we have received from the Government of Japan; yes, you can transit through Tokyo on the way to the U.S, but several conditions exist.
  1. If transiting through Narita Airport, you must arrive and depart on the same day. The transit area closes overnight. You will not be able to clear immigration to pick up bags. Please talk to your airline for more information.
  2. If transiting through Haneda Airport, you will not be able clear immigration to pick up bags. The transit area is open 24 hours, but we recommend that you contact the airport and airline to confirm before departure.
  3. Transit from one airport to another is not possible.
Please note that this information is subject to change at any time without notice and it is your responsibility as the traveler to confirm all this information with the relevant authorities prior to travel.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RyanfromMA
where does it say no overnight in narita. I don't see that anywhere
It is driven by the fact that the terminals are not open 24 hours, so you can't stay air side after the last flight departs and the terminal closes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
HND transit side hotel still closed

Royal Park has an updated announcement from Aug 3 that the transit side of the hotel is still closed with no currently scheduled reopening date.

https://m.the-royalpark.jp/the/tokyo...ils.php?id=117

HT to SugoiHikouki​​​​​​
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, SQ
It's really unclear if I can make a connection in NRT or not. Looking for anyone who has recent experience.

My planned flight was on JAL from TPE-NRT-BOS. This was available on JAL's website, but suddenly disappeared 2 days ago. However, JAL's site does have 2 separate flights that work (a China Airlines codeshare + same JL flight to BOS). For some reason you can buy them separately but not as 1 ticket. Note: It is same day arrival/departure.

I called JAL who said the fare was not available and if I planned to buy each segment separately, I should call China Airlines to confirm if they would put my luggage through to BOS, and if I could board in TPE at all. I'll call tomorrow, but my problem is even if they say it's not a problem so long as I show them my JAL segment confirmation, I don't want to show up at the airport and be told the opposite thing.

Anyone face a similar scenario?

Last edited by adobtan; Oct 14, 2020 at 2:14 pm
Old Dec 28, 2020, 2:13 pm

Hi all, I have a unique situation and was hoping to get some input. My wife is an American citizen who is scheduled to fly from CDG-NRT with a 3 hour layover then on to NRT-NOU. I understand from searches on this forum that airside shuts down at NRT and people cannot remain in the airport overnight.

My questions are as follows:
1) If she misses the flight, due to the earlier legs being late, etc. What happens? (This is a legit concern, as she is flying LAX-CDG, 2 hour layover, then CDG-NRT. Unfortunately, the NRT-NOU is not a daily flight, and appears to occur every other day, at best.) My understanding is that as an American citizen and due to the recent changes, she is not allowed to leave the airport under any circumstance.
2) Is she even allowed to transit through the airport, assuming everything goes according to plan? (I am getting conflicting information, but the NRT website seems to allow the international to international transfer, both are in terminal 1.) I am awaiting a reply from several authorities, but thought I would ask here while I wait.

Thanks everyone, Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 28, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air side transit is allowed at NRT.

Why not fly LAX NRT? It is ever so slightly shorter than LAX-CDG-NRT and reduces the risk of a misconnect, just by having one connection fewer.

If they can see that she will not make the flight at time of CDG departure, they'd probably deny her boarding to not get her stuck in Narita. If only obvious en route CDG NRT, they will probably return her to Paris.
drjeffrock likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:20 pm

Air side transit is allowed at NRT.

Why not fly LAX NRT? It is ever so slightly shorter than LAX-CDG-NRT and reduces the risk of a misconnect, just by having one connection fewer.

If they can see that she will not make the flight at time of CDG departure, they'd probably deny her boarding to not get her stuck in Narita. If only obvious en route CDG NRT, they will probably return her to Paris.
Thank you very much for the input. I don't think she can go LAX-NRT due to the fact that Noumea requires entry through metropolitan France in her case. I am reaching out to the government to see if we can obtain an exemption.

Regards,
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by drjeffrock
My wife is an American citizen who is scheduled to fly from CDG-NRT with a 3 hour layover then on to NRT-NOU.
Is the routing CDG-NRT on AF (Air France) then NRT-NOU on SB (Air Caledonie)?
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Is the routing CDG-NRT on AF (Air France) then NRT-NOU on SB (Air Caledonie)?
Correct. AF flight # for CDG-NRT, then SB flight # from NRT-NOU. I haven't actually paid for the ticket yet, as you need to get approval to even book the ticket. Maybe I can ask the AF rep to assign an AF flight # for the NRT-NOU leg, if possible. (That opens up another can of worms since the government technically approved her to take the SB flight, not AF.)

Last edited by drjeffrock; Dec 28, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Old Dec 28, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by drjeffrock
Correct. AF flight # for CDG-NRT, then SB flight # from NRT-NOU. I haven't actually paid for the ticket yet, as you need to get approval to even book the ticket. Maybe I can ask the AF rep to assign an AF flight # for the NRT-NOU leg, if possible. (That opens up another can of worms since the government technically approved her to take the SB flight, not AF.)
CDG-(AF)-NRT-(SB)-NOU is actually a standard route for French vacationer heading to New Caledonia. Before COVID-19, during peak of French vacaiton seasons (vacances in French? ) SB (Air Caledonie) opereated NRT-NOU daily (7 flights every week) which is not because there is that much demand between Japan and New Caledonia, but there is that much demand between France and New Caledonia. It is daily event where French vacationers transiting at NRT between AF (Air France) flight and SB (Air Caledonie) flight.

It will be pretty much likley your wife will not be the only passenger on CDG-NRT AF flight connecting to SB (Air Caledonie) flight at NRT, likely there will be a lot. AF at CDG should be aware of this and SB at NRT is for sure aware of this, it is pretty much daily event at NRT between AF and SB. I am sure AF and SB will work togather in case of delay flight. It will be highly unlikly your wife will be the only person stranded at NRT in case of irregualr operation.

During COVID era I do not know how AF and SB are corrdinating transit at NRT but for sure your wife's situation will not be unusual, but will be routine situation where AF and SB know how to deal with the situation
drjeffrock likes this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Dec 29, 2020 at 7:52 am
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:02 am

I see that the testing center in the airport is a trusted testing partner for Hawaii, they say they can turnaround within two hours. I would be getting a COVID test prior to returning to Hawaii from Thailand, but Hawaii only accepts tests from programs listed on their trusted testing partner program. Of course, none of those are in Thailand, but the location in Narita could work. Has anyone had experience getting a COVID test during transit? How was it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.