FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is a Haneda international to international transfer possible now?
Routing would be CDG-HND on JL connecting to HND-SFO on NH... separate tickets with a 4 hour connection.

JAL.com suggests that at least JL to JL is doable...
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Is a Haneda international to international transfer possible now?
International to international transfer within Haneda is possible.
International to international transfer within Narita is also possible (but no overnight stay).
International to international transfer involving two airports (e.g. arrive at HND and depart NRT) is not possible.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:19 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Not sure where to put this question, but I will start here. Is it possible to fly SFO > NRT, go through the transit check, and get right back on NRT>SFO without any interference? Admins, please redirect if there is a more appropriate forum!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Not sure where to put this question, but I will start here. Is it possible to fly SFO > NRT, go through the transit check, and get right back on NRT>SFO without any interference? Admins, please redirect if there is a more appropriate forum!
It is questionable if the airline would let you board in SFO. The current rules during covid says that transit to a 3rd country through Japan is allowed. That is not what you are doing.

It has been debated in other threads, while no one has reported a success or failure, the common consensus seems to be that you would not fulfil the requirements to board a flight to Japan.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will not be allowed to board at SFO. Since you cannot currently enter Japan, you cannot transit from/to the same country. As CPH-Flyer noted, transfer to a third country is allowed, but it should be a country you can currently enter, like Mexico or Turkey. MEX-NRT-SFO would work as would SFO-NRT-MEX.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:54 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
You will not be allowed to board at SFO. Since you cannot currently enter Japan, you cannot transit from/to the same country. As CPH-Flyer noted, transfer to a third country is allowed, but it should be a country you can currently enter, like Mexico or Turkey. MEX-NRT-SFO would work as would SFO-NRT-MEX.
Gotcha. So immediately returning to the USA is not allowed, but another country, no problem. Kind of odd since I wouldn’t be out of the terminal.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotcha. So immediately returning to the USA is not allowed, but another country, no problem.
Correct. Sadly, international mileage runs are tough these days.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:12 pm

Hi all...If Japan is closed to my particular class of tourist, I wanted to look at options to go to another area of Asia that might be open, using my initial (cheap) flight from Canada.

Long story short, what's the best method you use to search for fares out of HDN? In the Americas, I would use Google Flights.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by EvilSilentBob
Hi all...If Japan is closed to my particular class of tourist, I wanted to look at options to go to another area of Asia that might be open, using my initial (cheap) flight from Canada.

Long story short, what's the best method you use to search for fares out of HDN? In the Americas, I would use Google Flights.
Flights originating in Japan tend to be rather expensive compared to other markets. But Google flights are fine to find the offers such as they are.
EvilSilentBob likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL FO
Two questions:
1) Flying NH ORD-NRT (F), 3 hour layover, NRT-CGK on JL (J). Separate tickets.
2) Flying GA CGK-HND (J), 1.5 hour layover, HND-JFK on NH (F). Separate tickets.

Anything I should be prepared for? Are the NRT and HND connections within the MCT? Will they check baggage through?

Not even sure this trip will happen but just want to get as prepared as possible if Indonesia opens up this summer. Thanks for any tips!
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoth300
Two questions:
1) Flying NH ORD-NRT (F), 3 hour layover, NRT-CGK on JL (J). Separate tickets.
2) Flying GA CGK-HND (J), 1.5 hour layover, HND-JFK on NH (F). Separate tickets.

Anything I should be prepared for? Are the NRT and HND connections within the MCT? Will they check baggage through?

Not even sure this trip will happen but just want to get as prepared as possible if Indonesia opens up this summer. Thanks for any tips!
1.5 hours on separate ticket is in my opinion for too little for comfort. You carry the risk of the connection.

Whether Garuda will check through to ANA is an open question, though Garuda partners with JAL so it is not obvious. If they don't, 1.5 hour for the connection is a lost cause.

NH will in all likelihood check through to JAL.

Unless the current travel restrictions in Japan are lifted, I personally would certainly not make the first booking, and the second I would not make, it is just too close for comfort.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
1.5 hours on separate ticket is in my opinion for too little for comfort. You carry the risk of the connection.

Whether Garuda will check through to ANA is an open question, though Garuda partners with JAL so it is not obvious. If they don't, 1.5 hour for the connection is a lost cause.

NH will in all likelihood check through to JAL.

Unless the current travel restrictions in Japan are lifted, I personally would certainly not make the first booking, and the second I would not make, it is just too close for comfort.
Thanks for the reply! I get that the 1.5 hours is tight at HND... but given the size of the airport, I think I can pull it off. Do you know if it's within the MCT? NH actually sells the GA flight as a codeshare so I think GA should be able to interline the baggage.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the reply! I get that the 1.5 hours is tight at HND... but given the size of the airport, I think I can pull it off. Do you know if it's within the MCT? NH actually sells the GA flight as a codeshare so I think GA should be able to interline the baggage.
There is no MCT on separate tickets, as there is no protection for a missed connection. GA has changed sides after JAL bought a stake. Which was after Vietnam Airlines changed side from JAL to ANA.

But generally for connecting international flights it is one hour.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is no MCT on separate tickets, as there is no protection for a missed connection. GA has changed sides after JAL bought a stake. Which was after Vietnam Airlines changed side from JAL to ANA.

But generally for connecting international flights it is one hour.
I was thinking about the MCT more for the baggage... obviously no guarantee that GA will check through but just want to see if it was within the MCT.
From what I can tell, both the GA arrival and NH departure at HND will be at terminal 3 so I know it's risky but I think I can make it. Thanks for the advice!
Old Mar 14, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... I know it's risky but I think I can make it.
Good luck on this one if you really try to do it. Even in the best of times and with no checked bags, 90 minutes on separate international tickets is risky, especially when you are connecting to a once a day long-haul. Another question to consider is whether you will be able to OLCI for your NH flight. Currently, many airlines will only let you check-in at the airport since they want to see your Negative PCR test result. If that is the case, you'll need to check in at least 60 minutes before departure. Cross your fingers that your GA is not late. What is your plan B if this one goes south? You can't enter Japan and good luck trying to get VS to help, assuming your are using VS miles. My rule of thumb for a connection like this is 4 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.