FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Starwood Platinum 50 Nights
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
With a gracious air of celebrations I would guess.....

I don’t imagine even if I carried on a full assortment of luxury tents I could sell airport camping to my wife on this one.

relatedly, does anybody know if they are allowing easy cancellation / refunds for tickets affected by the uncertainty? I have a mix of revenue and award tickets in both directions I am trying to solve for. I imagine the revenue tickets which are mixed AA JL code will be the most difficult but maybe it will be a simple travel credit…
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by A5RoadDogg
I don’t imagine even if I carried on a full assortment of luxury tents I could sell airport camping to my wife on this one.

relatedly, does anybody know if they are allowing easy cancellation / refunds for tickets affected by the uncertainty? I have a mix of revenue and award tickets in both directions I am trying to solve for. I imagine the revenue tickets which are mixed AA JL code will be the most difficult but maybe it will be a simple travel credit…
Award tickets are usually quite easy to refund, more tricky to rebook due to lack of availability.

For the revenue tickets, I guess the question is the balance between 001 and 131 stock. JAL is quite flexible if you can't actually fly due to entry restrictions, but if you "just" need to avoid the wrath of a woman over camping in a terminal for a night but you can actually enter the country if destination and the proposed connection is not illegal otherwise there is less mercy in the rules. But coming back to the core question, what ticket stock are you on? As that also decides the rules you'd have to study to understand the options.

(I joke about it, but I do sympathise with the fact that under your circumstances you can't take a night on the floor of the terminal)
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:11 am

Award tickets are usually quite easy to refund, more tricky to rebook due to lack of availability.

For the revenue tickets, I guess the question is the balance between 001 and 131 stock. JAL is quite flexible if you can't actually fly due to entry restrictions, but if you "just" need to avoid the wrath of a woman over camping in a terminal for a night but you can actually enter the country if destination and the proposed connection is not illegal otherwise there is less mercy in the rules. But coming back to the core question, what ticket stock are you on? As that also decides the rules you'd have to study to understand the options.

(I joke about it, but I do sympathise with the fact that under your circumstances you can't take a night on the floor of the terminal)
it’s all 001 unfortunately, and AA is totally useless. Talked to an EP agent “well we called the OneWorld desk and their computer still shows the flight in the system” like nobody is able to actually call a human person in Japan who would know something.

the critical information I’m awaiting In both English and Japanese
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/220701_06/
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/info/2022/inter/220701_06/

Note that July 1 was in theory part of June 27 news update so I doubt there will be much advance notice.

Basically I think I need to book alternate flights now, and hold the current flights, hoping that JL95 is actually cancelled And I can get refunded, and worst case I’ll just deal with flight credits and change fees…
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
it’s all 001 unfortunately, and AA is totally useless. Talked to an EP agent “well we called the OneWorld desk and their computer still shows the flight in the system” like nobody is able to actually call a human person in Japan who would know something.
No humans in Japan know anything anyways, so no major loss there. lolol
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ainternational
No humans in Japan know anything anyways, so no major loss there. lolol
In this rare case they would....

JL95 is not loaded in the JAL system for the 21st, and neither JL91 nor JL95 is loaded on the 22nd. So if AA were to talk to JL they might actually get to understand the challenge....
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:04 pm

In this rare case they would....

JL95 is not loaded in the JAL system for the 21st, and neither JL91 nor JL95 is loaded on the 22nd. So if AA were to talk to JL they might actually get to understand the challenge....
in the hopes that was true I called the JAL Japan phone numbers (their domestic home) and got a very kind woman who even reached out to the operations desk to simply inquire when the next update on the route would be posted - and nada.

So now it’s time to decide - am I gonna spend $7k on Econ nonstop or $21k on business. Superb.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:20 pm

in the hopes that was true I called the JAL Japan phone numbers (their domestic home) and got a very kind woman who even reached out to the operations desk to simply inquire when the next update on the route would be posted - and nada.

So now it’s time to decide - am I gonna spend $7k on Econ nonstop or $21k on business. Superb.
I realize I am now dominating this thread but had one last data point to share. Had our hotel concierge call the GMP JAL desk, and here’s what they shared:

”We have checked with JAL customer center in Gimpo airport, they will decide the JL095 flight updated schedule within this week.

They mentioned that the percentage of cancellation is very low, thus please kindly waiting their announcement in this week.”

Odds are this is 95% language barrier 5% chance it’s insider perspective and a positive data point. But I’ll stalk alternate fares and give them a few days.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I realize I am now dominating this thread but had one last data point to share. Had our hotel concierge call the GMP JAL desk, and here’s what they shared:

”We have checked with JAL customer center in Gimpo airport, they will decide the JL095 flight updated schedule within this week.

They mentioned that the percentage of cancellation is very low, thus please kindly waiting their announcement in this week.”

Odds are this is 95% language barrier 5% chance it’s insider perspective and a positive data point. But I’ll stalk alternate fares and give them a few days.
One thing is deciding, another thing is to decide to operate JL95.

In the first 19 days of July, JL91/92 operates 5 days. It is probably far more likely that any increase in flights would be on the 91/92 rotation than on the 95/90 rotation.

Time wise, probably late this week or early next is not too unlikely.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
One thing is deciding, another thing is to decide to operate JL95.

In the first 19 days of July, JL91/92 operates 5 days. It is probably far more likely that any increase in flights would be on the 91/92 rotation than on the 95/90 rotation.

Time wise, probably late this week or early next is not too unlikely.
Do JAL and ANA still publish actual flight schedules for weeks/months out? I seem to recall one or both of them discontinued publishing schedules which seems insane to me. Recently I have been trying to find specific ANA and UA flights to and from Japan and I need to try dummy bookings just to see the schedule which seems very backwards lol. It's not just a Japan thing since United has the same issue.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
Do JAL and ANA still publish actual flight schedules for weeks/months out? I seem to recall one or both of them discontinued publishing schedules which seems insane to me. Recently I have been trying to find specific ANA and UA flights to and from Japan and I need to try dummy bookings just to see the schedule which seems very backwards lol. It's not just a Japan thing since United has the same issue.
ANA
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/topics/c...international/

JAL
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...service/#inter
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:28 pm

I remember that the Royal Park Haneda used to have an airside Transit Hotel but it has been closed for covid 19.
We have an 8 hour HND transit/connection at the end of august this year and my wife would dearly love a bed to sleep on during this time .
Is there any suggestion that the airside transit hotel may be likely to open by this time ?
thank you
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozflier
I remember that the Royal Park Haneda used to have an airside Transit Hotel but it has been closed for covid 19.
We have an 8 hour HND transit/connection at the end of august this year and my wife would dearly love a bed to sleep on during this time .
Is there any suggestion that the airside transit hotel may be likely to open by this time ?
thank you
I checked 5-6 days ago, to answer a similar question, closed until further notice was the message.

I don't think they quite realise how much business is actually there if they wanted....
seigex likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:03 am

Thank you - I'll just have to keep looking .
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I don't think they quite realise how much business is actually there if they wanted....
It can't be hard to estimate the missed revenue. Is it receiving a subsidy / compensation for "lost business" that makes it more profitable for it to stay closed? Or is it a regulatory thing?
Either way, a long stopover/layover at HND is unattractive in the absence of any rest/stay facilities. The lack of a hotel might hurt the airport more than the hotel.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I think the long layovers might be attractive to people who enjoy to fly, but I would guess the target market is economy traffic between the US and SEA. People who can afford to not layover would probably not. And those that can’t afford a shorter connection probably wouldn’t pay for a hotel. Just a guess though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.