FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by vicmag76
Not sure if this the correct forum to ask this question but here goes. I am traveling LAX-HND and then HND-GMP on two separate tickets on JL with an overnight transit in HND. South Korea requires a COVID test either 1 or 2 days before departure date. Does anyone what day they would consider the departure date? Would it be the departure date for the first ticket or would they use the departure date for the HND-GMP since it is two separate tickets? I was not sure if the transit through Japan would reset the departure date.
If you don’t enter the country it’s from the departure date of the first flight. Transit will reset the date if you enter the country.
seigex likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fun2fly
I was checking into transferring from HND to NRT (different airlines) for November and I read that as of today, there are no tourists allowed unless part of a package tour. I have an award ticket I am trying to book but thinking it is best to avoid Japan until the restrictions are lifted for all tourists. Anyone have input on this? I would be willing to do a package tour for a couple of days but not a full week since Japan is not my final destination in Asia.
Package tours are end-to-end. You don’t choose your own flights. So this is not really a solution to your problem.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
OK...need some guidance....

2 Pax. SFO-NRT-KUL-DPS all an AA award, all Biz

SFO-NRT with JAL

NRT-KUL-DPS with MH

MH has screwed the pooch, changed the initial departure time (of NRT>KUL) creating an overnight in Narita. (JAL arrives 4:45P lMH leaves next morning at 10:20AM) Since NRT closes it must be same day transit only

Checked with AA, I can drop the MH portions- so I will only have SFO-NRT on JAL.

I can also book at BA award, NRT-CGK (jakarta) on JAL...this will create a legal connection: Arrive JL57 at 4:45PM, depart JL729 at 6:05PM

So I am creating a legal transit connection...However...two different tickets. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get it on one ticket: AA cannot sell a seat on JL729 and put it on that ticket or record...JAL cannot make changes to a 001 ticket...

I can have a travel agent create a single itinerary. Might even be able to get PNRs linked "to read in conjunction"...

Anyone know what the agents at SFO will be thinking at check in?!?

Any advice?

(PS For purposes of simplicity, lets assume only carryon bags)
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
No problem, travel on separate tickets is fine. Make sure to print the e-tickets and leave ample of time for check-in at SFO. It sometimes takes a bit of time for them to process the details.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
No problem, travel on separate tickets is fine. Make sure to print the e-tickets and leave ample of time for check-in at SFO. It sometimes takes a bit of time for them to process the details.
Thanks. People I spoke to at JAL telephone support are just utterly clueless. It really was quite something, but for the life of me they simply couldnt grasp the concept. Even after 3 "please hold and let me check with my support."

A good friend is a travel agent, so can provide a very official-looking itinerary that shows a clean connection. (Japanese officials love paperwork...)
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Thanks. People I spoke to at JAL telephone support are just utterly clueless. It really was quite something, but for the life of me they simply couldnt grasp the concept. Even after 3 "please hold and let me check with my support."

A good friend is a travel agent, so can provide a very official-looking itinerary that shows a clean connection. (Japanese officials love paperwork...)
It is not about looking official and looking as one journey, it is about having the two e-ticket numbers so they can check the second one in the system. It will not be in their corner of the departure control system.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Just landed on JAL67 at NRT T2. There was a 5 minute wait to find out who they were letting off first, they were told to let transit off first. Deplaned and there was someone standing at the end of the jet bridge that checked boarding passes to verify we were in fact transiting, nothing else was checked After she did a quick look we were free to roam the international terminal. i’m now sitting at the JAL F lounge drinking a The Premium Malts beer wishing i could enter the country.

Also this was on separate tickets, nobody batted an eye at that, even when checking in at SEA. Helped they were both JAL (awards) but they just merged them then booked me and my luggage through, took 5 minutes. Make sure you have something to show them when you deplane.

EDIT to add: when boarding JL717 to BKK, they just did a passport and boarding pass check. through the whole trip, the only people who looked at my vax card was checkin at SEA and immigration at BKK. This has been the first “normal” international flight i’ve had since returning from japan in early 2020.

Last edited by seigex; Jul 2, 2022 at 12:30 pm
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
Just landed on JAL67 at NRT T2. There was a 5 minute wait to find out who they were letting off first, they were told to let transit off first. Deplaned and there was someone standing at the end of the jet bridge that checked boarding passes to verify we were in fact transiting, nothing else was checked After she did a quick look we were free to roam the international terminal. i’m now sitting at the JAL F lounge drinking a The Premium Malts beer wishing i could enter the country.

Also this was on separate tickets, nobody batted an eye at that, even when checking in at SEA. Helped they were both JAL (awards) but they just merged them then booked me and my luggage through, took 5 minutes. Make sure you have something to show them when you deplane.

EDIT to add: when boarding JL717 to BKK, they just did a passport and boarding pass check. through the whole trip, the only people who looked at my vax card was checkin at SEA and immigration at BKK. This has been the first “normal” international flight i’ve had since returning from japan in early 2020.
Did they check you in for the second fligth (NRT-BKK) and give a BP when you checked in at SEA for the first flight? Or did you need to check in and get a BP in NRT?
thx
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did they check you in for the second fligth (NRT-BKK) and give a BP when you checked in at SEA for the first flight? Or did you need to check in and get a BP in NRT?
thx
If JAL to JAL you will get both boarding passes at the first point of check-in.
Exec_Plat likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
thx
​​​​​​They did yes. If you are checking luggage, you will have to be checked through and receive both boarding passes, otherwise you would have to enter Japan to pick up your bags.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
​​​​​​They did yes. If you are checking luggage, you will have to be checked through and receive both boarding passes, otherwise you would have to enter Japan to pick up your bags.
Not to put too fine a point on it....I have had flight where bags were ticketed to a destination yet I was not able to get a boarding pass. Happens when the outbound airline doesnt have access to the second airline's system. Obviously in this case it is JAL to JAL. But getting bags tagged is (can be) separate from being checked in.

Thanks all, again
seigex likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Starwood Platinum 50 Nights
HND-GMP Beyond July 20

Hey all, we’re booked one stop LAX-HND-GMP at present on July 20, which has us connecting HND-GMP on the 21st on JL95. At present that route is obviously not functioning - and they have yet to announce the route schedule beyond the 20th. To me it seems highly unlikely they bring back the evening flight in July when GMP international terminal only operates now to serve the morning flights on this route.

My searches in native language turned up a) a posted schedule for the 21st on Gimpo’s web page that shows the morning flights but not JL95 and b) some third party Japanese site (that I’m skeptical of) that indicates the route will be operating post July 20. JAL’s own Japanese language site just mentions that the decision is forthcoming.

Does anyone know when they will reveal the schedule post July 20, and does anyone care to handicap the race?

I placed these awards back in November and yes the idea of being on the reopening flight for JL95 is pretty cool - but at the same time this isn’t a trip we can easily cancel, and the longer I wait, the worse and more expensive the alternate flight options become.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best guess, no JL95 by then, and probably doubtful if 91/92 will be daily by then.

Check to see if 91 flies on the day after you intended to take 95, then they can reroute you on a slightly longer transit.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Starwood Platinum 50 Nights
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Best guess, no JL95 by then, and probably doubtful if 91/92 will be daily by then.

Check to see if 91 flies on the day after you intended to take 95, then they can reroute you on a slightly longer transit.
we see it the same. And on the transit - were it just me, of course. But if I told my wife that we were going to overnight airside in Haneda with our 6 year old, 3 year old, and 6 month old - well, you can guess how that would be received.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A5RoadDogg
we see it the same. And on the transit - were it just me, of course. But if I told my wife that we were going to overnight airside in Haneda with our 6 year old, 3 year old, and 6 month old - well, you can guess how that would be received.
With a gracious air of celebrations I would guess.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.