Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by loganre17
Thanks! Would you mind confirming that I'd arrive in T1 and take off T2 (YVR-NRT-BKK)?
Yes, AC is in T1 and JL in T2, you would need to take the airside inter terminal bus.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by seigex
my upcoming itinerary for the first two weeks of July to avoid the HND-GMP issue:
LAX-ICN Itinerary:

AA F LAX-LAS-ORD (arrive @ 5:16am)
JAL F (aa award) ORD-NRT (leaves 12:40pm, arrives 3:35pm)
KE Y NRT-ICN (leaves 5:20pm)

ICN-LAX itinerary:
KE Y ICN-NRT (arrives @ 1:30PM)
JAL F (as award) NRT-LAX (leaves @ 5:20pm)

A bit round about, and I had to pay $240 for the AA flight out of pocket (upgraded with SWU), but it gets me there and back mostly on points

Hi. Based on your post then ---- there are no issues transiting NRT now on separate tickets?

I can get a LM award ticket from NRT to USA but still need a separate ticket to NRT.

Thanks much
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chichow
Hi. Based on your post then ---- there are no issues transiting NRT now on separate tickets?

I can get a LM award ticket from NRT to USA but still need a separate ticket to NRT.

Thanks much
Transit on separate itineraries is allowed, but there are caveats as you can't enter Japan. If are not on a Star Alliance flight to NRT, then it's very likely you won't be able to check bags through and you will have to be carryon only. Also low cost carriers like ZipAir will likely require you to go through security to landside to check in, which isn't allowed. So if you did something like ANA to NRT, then Avianca to the USA, you could check in through to the USA and check bags through and you're good to go.

Also keep an eye on connection times since you likely won't have protections on separate tickets as you would on a single ticket in case of a missed missed flight due to delays, so give yourself as much time as you need to be comfortable, especially if you're not familiar with the airport.
chichow likes this.

Last edited by seigex; Jun 19, 2022 at 10:20 pm
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
thanks. one way NH Econ fares from HKG - NRt are running 1k USD - bleh. KE HKG - ICN - NRT is half at 500 USD but a lot of flying and as you said then maybe carry on only.

Will see (HKG is such a black hole to get in and out of)
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:30 pm

Yeah it's not for the faint of heart. KE is sky team, so chances are probably slim you'll get checked through.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Yeah I saw that when I was looking in to my transfer as well, but it looks like you just stay on the same bus that goes between all 3 terminals, and it will just make a stop at T3 first then on to T2. So 10 minutes to T3, 3 minutes to T2. Keep an eye on AC3 though, it appears to have a terrible on time track record, usually arriving between 4 and 4:30, which means you will be zooming across terminals like I will if you happen to be on one of those late flights. But if you have your boarding pass and you are carryon only, you should be able to make it.
Thanks, AC and their OTP...Trying very hard to rebooked a JL flight ex-any West coast city as replacement, but will roll with this if nothing comes up
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Question: What happens if you misconnect at NRT and you dont have a visa??

No other same day departures, next possible flight is the next day...

Say arrive JAL at 5PM, scheduled to depart JAL at 6pm and something glitches....what do they do with you overnight?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by loganre17
Thanks - do you know if the airside bus from T1 to T2 directly not running according to this? https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/shuttlebus

In this case, would it require me stopping at T3 first, and then T2?
That link is about the landside bus. You should look here.

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/con...nter_inter_t1/
seigex and loganre17 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Question: What happens if you misconnect at NRT and you dont have a visa??

No other same day departures, next possible flight is the next day...

Say arrive JAL at 5PM, scheduled to depart JAL at 6pm and something glitches....what do they do with you overnight?
check up a few posts, I posted an account from someone on reddit who was allowed to board even though they had a NRT/HND transfer. YMMV of course.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
check up a few posts, I posted an account from someone on reddit who was allowed to board even though they had a NRT/HND transfer. YMMV of course.
Yes, saw that.... but that experience hinged on a total screw up prior to boarding in vietnam... then when they got to NRT the 'illegal' connection was discovered. Whichever airline allowed this COULD have been held liable for that pax to be removed from Japan.

Im trying to discover what the Japanese/NRT policy is to deal with a 'legal' connection that collapses due to -shall we say- force majeure. and in turn requires an overnight wait.

I would guess two possibilities:

1. Room with a guard for anyone that has to stay, cots, snacks perhaps

2. Pass for a hotel at airport. (ie a kind of 'emergency visa' for one day)
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mistakenly allowed to board, I am sure that the airline was fined for bringing in a passenger on an impossible connection. Somewhat lucky that Japan sometimes can be pragmatic. There are also cases of people who have overnighted in Narita due to missed connections.

It does not mean you should plan for it.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Mistakenly allowed to board, I am sure that the airline was fined for bringing in a passenger on an impossible connection. Somewhat lucky that Japan sometimes can be pragmatic. There are also cases of people who have overnighted in Narita due to missed connections.

It does not mean you should plan for it.
totally agree, point was (assuming it's true, there's no reason to believe it's not) they will work with you so it's not like you're going to end up in jail from a missed connection
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

totally agree, point was (assuming it's true, there's no reason to believe it's not) they will work with you so it's not like you're going to end up in jail from a missed connection
There was the story of some Air Canada passengers that got stuck for 3 days (or thereabouts) due to a missed connection to China. Neither thrown in jail nor returned to Canada. Especially on a missed connection, I would expect them to find an unlisted pragmatic solution. Though with some risk of "return to sender".....
seigex likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:21 pm

JAL, ANA and KE flights between are starting beginning of July, with JAL and ANA alternating availability up to mid-July.

Looking at the pattern, looks like July 22nd will be ANA...
I would seriously hope that ANA will do an interline baggage transfer to JAL......
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by cdizzle11
JAL, ANA and KE flights between are starting beginning of July, with JAL and ANA alternating availability up to mid-July.

Looking at the pattern, looks like July 22nd will be ANA...
I would seriously hope that ANA will do an interline baggage transfer to JAL......
I think you're missing a couple words, it's between HND and GMP. I've read that the first flights are on 6/30 and airlines will start out taking turns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.