Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
I'm visiting Asia mid July and considering a one-way (I have an onward ticket from Asia to Europe in August) to Bangkok or Singapore. I like both JAL and ANA and they also happen to offer reasonable one-stop fares through TYO.

Is transit even possible through Japan with the current covid-restrictions and would I have to stay airside?
Old May 22, 2022, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by EBGflyer
I'm visiting Asia mid July and considering a one-way (I have an onward ticket from Asia to Europe in August) to Bangkok or Singapore. I like both JAL and ANA and they also happen to offer reasonable one-stop fares through TYO.

Is transit even possible through Japan with the current covid-restrictions and would I have to stay airside?
Transit is perfectly doable. Just need to be within 24 hours if in Haneda, and same day if Narita, and no changing airport. All transit would need to be fully airside.
EBGflyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Transit is perfectly doable. Just need to be within 24 hours if in Haneda, and same day if Narita, and no changing airport. All transit would need to be fully airside.
Has NRT always closed the international terminal at night, and the only choice was to enter Japan or stay in the airside hotel, or is that something new from COVID? Japan's always been my final destination and not a place where I've needed to do layovers. If it didn't close previously, I don't see why they keep it to no overnights and no open airside hotel at this point. A lot of options open to travelers, especially on Oneworld airlines, if they would allow overnight stays at NRT.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by seigex
Has NRT always closed the international terminal at night, and the only choice was to enter Japan or stay in the airside hotel, or is that something new from COVID? Japan's always been my final destination and not a place where I've needed to do layovers. If it didn't close previously, I don't see why they keep it to no overnights and no open airside hotel at this point. A lot of options open to travelers, especially on Oneworld airlines, if they would allow overnight stays at NRT.
Yes, NRT has always closed the terminal building at night (least secure side of the terminal) since the opening of the airport. Lately there are overnight area at non-secure side of the terminal remain open. For example, Terminal 2 second floor, there is an area people can overnight on a carpeted floor. Also, Terminal 3 food court before the security, even airport officials encourage people to use chairs and tables0000 after food vendor closing for sleeping area for overnight. Yoshinoya at second fl. of Terminal 2 remain open 24 hrs. (non-secure side) and some convenient stores at non-secure side of the terminal remain open 24 hrs. There are quite large number of people who work at NRT during graveyard shift where convenient stores do have good demand overnight.

The reason for NRT never been 24 hrs. airport has part in the history of NRT, NRT Airport, how it started. Operation of NRT has always been negotiations and talks with local residents. It is very unlikely NRT will be 24 hrs. airport. As for opening secure side terminal area 24 hrs., when there is no flights overnight it may not make a lot sense financially to keep open secure side of the terminal for passengers. Also, overnight when there is no passengers in the terminal is the time when maintenance and repair of building takes place. I think from building maintenance prospective, it is more convenient to close the terminal building overnight.

Should add that NRT itself is not closed overnight. Commercial flight take offs and landings are not allowed overnight, but NRT is open for flight with emergency or facing other unforeseen situations. Control tower of NRT is staffed 24 hrs. and able to take flights anytime. Also, I heard that there is actually a lot of aircraft movement at apron and taxiway overnight such that control tower staff working graveyard shift can keep themself busy.
EBGflyer, ithinkurdumb and seigex like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:51 am

good info, thanks AlwaysAisle
Old May 22, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by cdizzle11
Also found this on JAL website: JAL network changes for East Asia (as of May 11)
I've got a GMP-HND-LAX flight lined up in July so hopefully this will be confirmed soon!
The eased testing requirements from June 1st was just published (not the specific countries in each group) but the requirements for flight from Korea to only go to Narita and Kansai still survived. They kind of need that fixed as well. Though JAL actually has flights HND<>GMP open for booking already in June so they seems to expect an easing of these rules.....
ANA just opened for booking on HND GMP, but only from July 1st. Will be interesting to see if JL or NH picked the correct start date....
seigex likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: United 1K
Different intineraries

So, I've tried to scan through the posts in here...I think this is okay, right? i am not checking bags, all same-day transits.

LAX-NRT (UA)
NRT-SIN (ANA)

then doing the same on the way back
SIN-NRT (ANA)
NRT-SFO (UA)

Also, anyone have problems with gate agents at your first leg not knowing the rules and giving you grief? (e.g. saying you can't fly into japan w/o a visa, etc.)
Old May 22, 2022, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by beeasyed
So, I've tried to scan through the posts in here...I think this is okay, right? i am not checking bags, all same-day transits.

LAX-NRT (UA)
NRT-SIN (ANA)

then doing the same on the way back
SIN-NRT (ANA)
NRT-SFO (UA)

Also, anyone have problems with gate agents at your first leg not knowing the rules and giving you grief? (e.g. saying you can't fly into japan w/o a visa, etc.)
I see no problem. UA does check luggage through on ANA and visa-versa, so you can if you need to. You won't have any issues with ANA or UA. Boarding rules when transiting Japan are based on destination (SIN and USA), there are no restrictions for the actual transit port as long as you don't have to enter Japan (which you don't based on your itinerary), so as long as you are good to go with those requirements, then you will be fine.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by hoth300
Thank you so much for the quick reply! Layover is from 7:30am-11:30am... I figure it's worth a shot as I have plenty of time.
In theory yes, there are no boarding pass checks for the bus. But be aware if the lounge is very crowded, they may restrict priority pass access. Not sure what time of day NRT JFK flies these days....
Originally Posted by hoth300
Flying JL CGK-NRT-JFK with a 4 hour layover in NRT. I have no lounge access in T2... can I take the shuttle bus to T1, use the NH lounge via Priority Pass and take bus back to T2?
Just wanted to report back my experience with this. I went to the shuttle bus area in T2 and the driver did ask to see my boarding pass. I told him I wanted to visit the lounge in T1 and he said "No, you stay in terminal two. No lounge, no shopping." Before I could respond, he added "But today, it's ok" and let me on the bus. Very grateful to be able to access the ANA lounge and get some food and a shower but would just caution others as the bus driver seems to have some discretion.
Old May 22, 2022, 6:09 pm

I see no problem. UA does check luggage through on ANA and visa-versa, so you can if you need to. You won't have any issues with ANA or UA. Boarding rules when transiting Japan are based on destination (SIN and USA), there are no restrictions for the actual transit port as long as you don't have to enter Japan (which you don't based on your itinerary), so as long as you are good to go with those requirements, then you will be fine.
thank you. i was concerned the gate agent at LAX can only see my NRT destination and assume i'm trying to enter japan, so i was just planning to show both my UA and ANA itineraries when checking in?

i'm supposed to arrive 230PM in NRT at T1 and fly out in T1 as well at 615PM, so that should be easy..
Old May 22, 2022, 6:33 pm

thank you. i was concerned the gate agent at LAX can only see my NRT destination and assume i'm trying to enter japan, so i was just planning to show both my UA and ANA itineraries when checking in?

i'm supposed to arrive 230PM in NRT at T1 and fly out in T1 as well at 615PM, so that should be easy..
Yeah, they will just validate you have an onward ticket from Japan, doesn't matter if it's on the same itinerary or not. If it's on the same ticket, then they will already have all that info. As long as you have a ticket leaving NRT on the same day that you arrive, you're solid from that perspective.
beeasyed likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, they will just validate you have an onward ticket from Japan, doesn't matter if it's on the same itinerary or not. If it's on the same ticket, then they will already have all that info. As long as you have a ticket leaving NRT on the same day that you arrive, you're solid from that perspective.
If it is on separate tickets, do make sure to bring you e-ticket printed. While they can find it in the system, and likely will want to find it in the system, it is faster if you have the ticket handy.
seigex likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:25 am

If it is on separate tickets, do make sure to bring you e-ticket printed. While they can find it in the system, and likely will want to find it in the system, it is faster if you have the ticket handy.
just thought of this but...would i even be able to complete the check-in process for my second leg (NRT-SIN) ahead of time, since once i land, i would be airside the entire time (i think T1 for both legs) and wouldn't go check in at the counter like i normally would? so i would i just go straight to the gate w/ my e-ticket then?

lax-nrt (UA)
nrt-sin (ANA)
Old May 24, 2022, 11:37 am

just thought of this but...would i even be able to complete the check-in process for my second leg (NRT-SIN) ahead of time, since once i land, i would be airside the entire time (i think T1 for both legs) and wouldn't go check in at the counter like i normally would? so i would i just go straight to the gate w/ my e-ticket then?

lax-nrt (UA)
nrt-sin (ANA)
With UA/ANA, being that they're both Star Alliance, you can ask them at the UA ticket desk at LAX when you check in to check you all the way through on both itineraries. If not you can just check in at the gate at NRT since you are all carryon anyway, but it's never been an issue for me checking through between UA/ANA on two separate tickets.
beeasyed likes this.

Last edited by seigex; May 24, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old May 24, 2022, 2:39 pm

Hi--I have a JFK to HND (2 day stopover), HND to SYD on JAL in late September 2022. Booked thinking that Japan might be open to tourists by then (still might happen) and we could do a weekend in Tokyo.

This is looking less and less likely, so we are thinking of booking a separate HND to ICN on JAL on a separate ticket. Can anyone confirm this is OK and that they will let me board the plane to HND at JFK? Alternatively, any way to call JAL and link the itineraries? I booked the Oneworld multi-carrier award via Asia Miles so very hard to change the original booking.

The connection time is about 3 hours in HND for HND to ICN, and even more time in HND for HND to SYD. All JAL so all in terminal 3. Is it as simple as deplaning and walking over to the HND-ICN gate and checking in?

Any help is appreciated. Freaking out about this because our return is through Hong Kong and we originally wanted to do a stopover in Hong Kong. Turns out transit in Hong Kong must be on the same reservation so we cannot even book a separate roundtrip out of HKG...fingers crossed CX can change my ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.