Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:31 pm

Flying JAL SAN>NRT>SIN.

Do I need to be able to show proof of vaccination and a negative COVID test?

The JAL website makes it seem like I need a negative COVID test 72 hours before my connection.

This is relevant because Singapore does NOT require this anymore, and if I don’t have to show a negative test to fly on Singapore then maybe flying JAL isn’t a great idea.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Japan has no requirements for transit. But as you will be arriving on an international flight to Guam, you would need to fulfil the entry criteria for entry in to the US. There is no test on arrival, but a pre departure test will be required.
so I actually just posted the same question right below this answer. Don’t mean to spam.

The JAL website (which kinda sucks) does make it seem like you need to show a negative test for transit/connections. Do they confirm somewhere that JAL will actually let you board the plane without that test?

I have flown multiple times during COVID, and the international airlines have been extremely strict about checking, in my experience. I am nervous that even if Japan doesn’t require the test, but JAL does, there is the potential to be denied boarding.

EDIT: This is the ambiguity I'm talking about. It doesn't appear to me that transiting NRT is considered "entering Japan;" however, JAL has an entire section about "transferring to a JAL international flight from another flight" that discusses the validity of certificates of inspection. https://i.imgur.com/mTvHUF2.png

Last edited by zot2k7; Apr 20, 2022 at 2:21 pm
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by zot2k7
so I actually just posted the same question right below this answer. Don’t mean to spam.

The JAL website (which kinda sucks) does make it seem like you need to show a negative test for transit/connections. Do they confirm somewhere that JAL will actually let you board the plane without that test?

I have flown multiple times during COVID, and the international airlines have been extremely strict about checking, in my experience. I am nervous that even if Japan doesn’t require the test, but JAL does, there is the potential to be denied boarding.

EDIT: This is the ambiguity I'm talking about. It doesn't appear to me that transiting NRT is considered "entering Japan;" however, JAL has an entire section about "transferring to a JAL international flight from another flight" that discusses the validity of certificates of inspection. https://i.imgur.com/mTvHUF2.png
I can't open the image you linked. Transit is indeed not considered entering Japan. They will inspect the details of whatever documents are needed for your destination, and they do that very diligently and detailed. But nothing needed for the transit beyond the destination requirements.

I'd say the JAL website is pretty clear.
Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo PCR tests.

However, the following cases require entry into Japan. Please be informed that foreign nationals arriving from prohibited countries will not be allowed to enter Japan.
  • Transferring between Tokyo International Airport (Haneda Airport) and Narita International Airport
  • Travelers with a connecting flight out of Narita International Airport the following day
Additionally, for passengers transiting via Japan to another country, please refer to the Entry restrictions for each country and Quarantine Measures information
zot2k7 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:05 pm

I can't open the image you linked.
Here's a different link to the same text- reuploaded; seems like imgur might be having issues: https://i.postimg.cc/GrRVGycV/mTvHUF2.png I thought this was ambiguous, but the language you posted from elsewhere on their site is very clear.

I'd say the JAL website is pretty clear.
Thanks. I'm satisfied based on that.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by zot2k7
Here's a different link to the same text- reuploaded; seems like imgur might be having issues: https://i.postimg.cc/GrRVGycV/mTvHUF2.png I thought this was ambiguous, but the language you posted from elsewhere on their site is very clear.

Thanks. I'm satisfied based on that.
That screen shot is about people entering to Japan, and it then advises on how the 72 hours are counted should you have a flight connection to your JAL international flight when entering Japan.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Hi everyone…have a question about transiting in NRT, which I’ve done a few times, but pre-COVID. So probably different.

We’re looking to book SFO-SIN in June, which would transit in NRT - there’s a couple of options I’m looking at - but either way, it’s the standard North American arrival bank connecting to the evening departure - would likely come in on either NH or AC connecting to the NH or possibly SQ flight. So either way, ~3 hour layover. Same route on the way back - standard morning departure with ~3 hour connection back to the North America.

My understanding is there is no transit requirements - I just need to meet the SIN and US entry requirements for each direction. However, I have no eligibility to enter Japan at this point. Fine, assuming everything goes well. Obviously a different story if there is some sort of delay causing me to miss a connection, or worse, last minute cancelation to SIN. I’m more concerned about the flights to SIN - as less options than coming back to NA.

In the odd case we misconnect, and they are unable to rebook on another flight, what happens? I understand the terminal is not open overnight, and as I said, we can not enter Japan. I suppose if the issue is known on the ground before departing US/Canada, they could rebook us another way, or next day. But if that isn’t the case, what would happen? Maybe Im worrying over nothing - odds are that there would be multiple others misconnecting if we are, but just trying to be prepped.

Appreciate any insight.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprisingly enough, we have not had any reports of misconnects in the forum, so no actual reports of what happens. There has been reports that they are good at holding flights to avoid missed connections. But I guess actual missed connections are pretty rare. At least ANA and JAL does not suffer from the operational chaos that their US counter parts do, so cancellations are not as frequent. Unless you also count the rolling reduction of schedule. But that happens about 3 months out for the majority, not last minute.

If it is clear before departure that the connection will not be possible, I think they would stop you from flying to Narita. The terminal closes overnight, and is not geared for "staying guests"

If you make it to Narita and the connection is missed, they only have two options. Return to sender, or confine you somewhere in the terminal while it is closed. As the terminal is meant to be empty overnight, they can't have passengers roaming freely.

In that aspect a Haneda connection might be smoother, as the terminal is open 24/7.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
My round trip itin just got stretched by about 35 hours due to schedule changes. Need advice pls.

LAX-NRT on JAL gets in 16:40. Next flight NRT-KUL was leaving at 22:30, now leaves 10:20 next day, requiring overnight layover at NRT.

On the way back, KUL-NRT was getting in at 7:40, now gets in 18:05 the previous night, requiring overnight layover at NRT for the onward flight.

Is there even a way to overnight layover at NRT without entering Japan? Is it even possible to enter Japan in order to have the layovers, if needed?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
My round trip itin just got stretched by about 35 hours due to schedule changes. Need advice pls.

LAX-NRT on JAL gets in 16:40. Next flight NRT-KUL was leaving at 22:30, now leaves 10:20 next day, requiring overnight layover at NRT.

On the way back, KUL-NRT was getting in at 7:40, now gets in 18:05 the previous night, requiring overnight layover at NRT for the onward flight.

Is there even a way to overnight layover at NRT without entering Japan? Is it even possible to enter Japan in order to have the layovers, if needed?
There is currently no possibility to have an overnight connection in Narita. Unless you are eligible to enter Japan. So you would need to get those flights adjusted.

Though JL724 which is the KUL NRT operating these days departs 22:50 and gets in to NRT at 06:45 so that should be fine, if a slightly long layover.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 20, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:50 am

Surprisingly enough, we have not had any reports of misconnects in the forum, so no actual reports of what happens. There has been reports that they are good at holding flights to avoid missed connections. But I guess actual missed connections are pretty rare/7.
There was a 3hr misconnect for AC (canada-nrt) connecting to NH (nrt-hkg). Person had to stay airside at NRT for 48 hour delay, because of difficulty arranging airside PCR test due to hkg arrival testing requirements
​​​​​​​
Flight delay leading to expired PCR test for connection

Day of IRROPs causing misconnect is one thing

If you show up at LAX check-in with your itinerary, i expect you to be turned away (or at best rebooked to a valid itinerary)
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
The trip is 2 months away, I'm thinking just leave it as is and look for a solution close to departure. I already spent hours adjusting after JAL made a change. Highly likely schedule will change again. What do you guys think?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
There was a 3hr misconnect for AC (canada-nrt) connecting to NH (nrt-hkg). Person had to stay airside at NRT for 48 hour delay, because of difficulty arranging airside PCR test due to hkg arrival testing requirements

Flight delay leading to expired PCR test for connection

Day of IRROPs causing misconnect is one thing

If you show up at LAX check-in with your itinerary, i expect you to be turned away (or at best rebooked to a valid itinerary)
That's not exactly in the Japan forum.... I have not flown AC since 2012, so I don't read the AC forum. But am surprised they were actual kept in the terminal that long, and not returned to Canada.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
The trip is 2 months away, I'm thinking just leave it as is and look for a solution close to departure. I already spent hours adjusting after JAL made a change. Highly likely schedule will change again. What do you guys think?
Personally, I have a risky itinerary (YYZ - LAX - NRT - ICN) booked for a few weeks from now with the hopes of flying ANA F "THE Suite." I also have a backup itinerary booked (direct Air Canada flight from Canada to Korea) a few days later that is fully refundable. It's all booked on points.

I'll cancel my backup flight only after I've been allowed to board the ANA flight at LAX.

If you have the points (or cash I guess) to book flexible backup plans then I'd recommend doing it now while there is better availability.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
That's not exactly in the Japan forum.... I have not flown AC since 2012, so I don't read the AC forum. But am surprised they were actual kept in the terminal that long, and not returned to Canada.
I assume the timing of flights may be at issue. Due to the reductions in schedules, were there even flights going back to Canada that didn't require an overnight or that didn't require PCR? Might have been the same regardless to put him onward in his journey.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Japan has no requirements for transit. But as you will be arriving on an international flight to Guam, you would need to fulfil the entry criteria for entry in to the US. There is no test on arrival, but a pre departure test will be required.
That is not entirely true.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

If you booked an itinerary from a U.S. state or territory to another U.S. state or territory and the itinerary has you taking a connecting flight through a foreign country, CDC does not require that you be tested. An example of this situation is an itinerary booked between the Northern Mariana Islands (a U.S. territory) and the U.S. mainland via Japan
seigex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.