Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pwynn
Aloha, I'm looking to book a flight from HNL to BKK via Narita on JAL. HNL flight arrives into NRT at 4:25 PM and departs technically the next day at 12:05 AM. About a 5 hour layover but the language on the JAL and the airport website says:

Customers Connecting in Japan between International Flights

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo inspections in Japan. Nonetheless, travelers are still subject to the travel/entry restrictions and requirements of their final destination.
However, the following cases require entry into Japan. Please be informed that foreign nationals arriving from prohibited countries will not be allowed to enter Japan.
  • Transferring between Tokyo International Airport (Haneda Airport) and Narita International Airport
  • Travelers with a connecting flight out of Narita International Airport the following day
Does this mean a transit passenger would not be permitted since the departing flight is at 12:05 AM? Not sure how strict Japan is on 5 minutes.

Mahalo! P
I don't believe that Narita has a 12:05am Bangkok flight, that sound suspiciously like the Haneda flight. Which means a change of airport which is currently not allowed. There are HNL HND flights as well, so if you can swing it via Haneda all will be good.

If there really is a 12:05am flight from Narita to Bangkok, that would, with how it is treated be considered a same day connection. The terminal closing for the day is the cut of point. Which normally is after the QR/EK departures around 22:30 though.

Can you post the planned flight numbers, then it might be possible to give a clear answer.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Only flight I see around that time looking out a couple months is JL33 leaving HND at 12:35am and arriving BKK at 5am.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by seigex
Only flight I see around that time looking out a couple months is JL33 leaving HND at 12:35am and arriving BKK at 5am.
That's the one I would expect. So unless there is some random 臨時 flight, it seems to be a NRT HND connection. Or the HNL flight is one of the 3 weekly HNL HND flights.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA PlatPro
Mahalo! Yes, you are correct. I got mixed up. The layover is at Haneda only. I saw several that were NRT to HND which I know wouldn't be permitted since you would at that point have to leave the airport. Do you see an issue if one leg is Hawaiian Airlines and the 2nd is JAL?

P
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:17 pm

As long as your HNL flight goes in to HND and then you are taking a flight out of HND to BKK, there are no issues. HND is open all night and are officially allowed up to 24 hours for your layover. Only issue with different airlines is if you have two separate tickets and somehow miss your long layover, then you wouldn't be protected. Japan doesn't require any documentation or COVID tests for a transit, but you will be required at checkin at HNL to show any documentation that is required for BKK arrival.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA PlatPro
That's good to know! Thanks again. Glad I came here, after years of lurking and reading reviews on FT I finally decided to create an account.
seigex likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: QFF
I have a 6hr+ transit in Haneda later this month and given the SYD-LHR is now even longer with the diversion I am hoping to get some exercise in during my transit.

I am flying JAL business so will have access to the lounge and showers. And not a gym junkie so planning to get my walk on and do 5-10km walking the airport.

Couple of questions.

1. Is there currently somewhere I can safely leave my hand luggage during this?
2. Are there any gym or other facilities currently open in Haneda given covid restrictions. I understand almost all services and most restaurants will be closed.

I would appreciate any tips and recent experience.

Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:35 pm

HND Two Different Airlines + Checked Bags?

Similar to one of the commenters above, I'm trying to save a DL reward ticket in Delta One from HND-ATL. My new plans would have me flying either ANA or JAL from BKK-HND, arriving early morning, then HND-ATL on DL. In the US, in order to collect checked bags, I'd have to go through border control and "enter" the country. Is that not the case at HND? Or is it and I'd be unable to check bags?

Bags aside, I imagine the two different airlines component of this is no problem, right, provided I show ANA/JAL my DL information?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 1:31 pm

Two different airlines are no problem as long as you have a long enough layover for a buffer, as you lose missed flight protection not being on the same ticket. Being HND you can spend at least 24 hours there, so you could book another ticket or beg ANA/JAL to give you another flight after getting to the airport if you do miss your flight back to the US.

As for bags, your only hope is that you can check bags in on DL and they will check through on ANA/JAL, which seems unlikely (diff tickets/diff alliances) but there are old reports (circa 2017) from evergrn that it might be possible. You'd have to call Delta and ask, as it would be up to them. If they won't check bags through, then your only option is to be carryon only as you'd have to enter Japan to get your bags and recheck or hope that Japan opens before your trip. I'd also be concerned about bags on two separate and what happens to them if you do happen to miss that connection, as they'd somehow have to get to the new flight.

Easier just to go carryon/personal item if you can hack it.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Was able to book LAX - NRT - ICN on flights NH 5 (arriving NRT 16:30) and ET 673 (departing NRT 21:10). Same ticket/PNR. Just want to double-check with this thread that you think this will be a valid connection that doesn't require entering Japan. Both flights appear to operate out of Terminal 1 although the Ethiopian flight seems to depart from a satellite terminal. It looks like the Ethiopian flight historically departs from gate 41 for what it's worth.

Last edited by etgohomeok; Apr 18, 2022 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Was able to book LAX - NRT - ICN on flights NH 5 (arriving NRT 16:30) and ET 673 (departing NRT 21:10). Same ticket/PNR. Just want to double-check with this thread that you think this will be a valid connection that doesn't require entering Japan. Both flights appear to operate out of Terminal 1 although the Ethiopian flight seems to depart from a satellite terminal. It looks like the Ethiopian flight historically departs from gate 41 for what it's worth.
don't have access to EF currently , but historically shows NH interlines with ET, so you should be fine, plus it's a single PNR
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33493041-post6.html

if you look at the NRT T1 map, it's not really a separate terminal, just a separate wing. When you land from LAX, you should be able to skip transit security and just exit straight to the main concourse. Then you can walk around airside, lounges if you have access, then hang out at gate 41.

Check the hours, most of the shops/food places close after 5pm. There are some vending machines, but don't remember if they are cash/suica only. You probably want to go to 7/11(C12 on map) and MatsumotoKiyoshi(C7) immediately to get some snacks/drinks if no lounge access

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/map?terminal=1&map=3
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/sho...xamination2=on
etgohomeok likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by paperwastage
don't have access to EF currently , but historically shows NH interlines with ET, so you should be fine, plus it's a single PNR
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33493041-post6.html

if you look at the NRT T1 map, it's not really a separate terminal, just a separate wing. When you land from LAX, you should be able to skip transit security and just exit straight to the main concourse. Then you can walk around airside, lounges if you have access, then hang out at gate 41.

Check the hours, most of the shops/food places close after 5pm. There are some vending machines, but don't remember if they are cash/suica only. You probably want to go to 7/11(C12 on map) and MatsumotoKiyoshi(C7) immediately to get some snacks/drinks if no lounge access

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/map?terminal=1&map=3
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/sho...xamination2=on
​​​​​​
Thank you, I didn't realize everything closed so early at Narita! Is that a COVID thing?

I believe I should have lounge access at ANA's lounge(s) since I'm booked I'm F/J but nonetheless will beeline for 7-11 so fill my bag with konboni snacks. I'll dig out my Suica and see if it has any balance left on it from my last trip as well.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
​​​​​​
Thank you, I didn't realize everything closed so early at Narita! Is that a COVID thing?

I believe I should have lounge access at ANA's lounge(s) since I'm booked I'm F/J but nonetheless will beeline for 7-11 so fill my bag with konboni snacks. I'll dig out my Suica and see if it has any balance left on it from my last trip as well.
yes it's covid thing (lack of flights, especially ANA/JL flights)

departing F/J/*G on Ethiopian (star alliance), will have access to ANA lounges... I believe the Suite lounges are open (if you're flying out in F), otherwise the regular ANA lounge (J or *G)

(Satellite #5, aka the main lounges) - note that it's only open until last ANA-operated flight, which could be as early as 6:55pm
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...ounges/narita/

ANA Int’l Business/*G Lounges at HND/NRT/KIX (consolidated)

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/fli...tDate=20220418

(there are a few omiyage shops (S2/S1, S25) that should still be open, when you walk towards the satellite 5 lounge
etgohomeok likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Apr 18, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Silver
Looking to do a fun birthday flight from IAH-NRT-GUM. I am having a hard time figuring out the transit Covid test requirement through NRT. Would I be required to test upon arrival at NRT and then I'm guessing I would be required to test upon arrival in GUM.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Airbus_Retard
Looking to do a fun birthday flight from IAH-NRT-GUM. I am having a hard time figuring out the transit Covid test requirement through NRT. Would I be required to test upon arrival at NRT and then I'm guessing I would be required to test upon arrival in GUM.
Japan has no requirements for transit. But as you will be arriving on an international flight to Guam, you would need to fulfil the entry criteria for entry in to the US. There is no test on arrival, but a pre departure test will be required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.