Search
Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:07 am

I have a JAL flight ticket from SGN to LHR via HND in one itinerary and anyone know if this is OK even the dates of the two flights are different? Total transit time is around 19hrs - I will arrive in HND on May 12 6am and depart to LHR on May 13 1am flight.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by infrequent_flyers
I have a JAL flight ticket from SGN to LHR via HND in one itinerary and anyone know if this is OK even the dates of the two flights are different? Total transit time is around 19hrs - I will arrive in HND on May 12 6am and depart to LHR on May 13 1am flight.
Perfectly fine.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Personally, I would find an earlier flight out of Los Angeles. Even if it was a single ticket.
Understood and sounds good, thanks so much!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
JL updated their website to say HND-GMP flights are canceled for May (https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/220501_06/).

I'm guessing this means I'll be seeing a cancellation on my ticketed booking that includes JL 95?

EDIT: Looking into wacky options to try to save my JL F flight. Is it possible to transit from HND - KIX and then KIX - ICN, or would the transfers between the international and domestic areas of the terminals in HND and KIX be impossible if I'm not allowed to enter Japan?

Last edited by etgohomeok; Mar 30, 2022 at 7:54 am
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
JL updated their website to say HND-GMP flights are canceled for May (https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/220501_06/).

I'm guessing this means I'll be seeing a cancellation on my ticketed booking that includes JL 95?

EDIT: Looking into wacky options to try to save my JL F flight. Is it possible to transit from HND - KIX and then KIX - ICN, or would the transfers between the international and domestic areas of the terminals in HND and KIX be impossible if I'm not allowed to enter Japan?
Since HND KIX would be a domestic flight, it would only be allowed if you are eligible to enter Japan.
etgohomeok likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since HND KIX would be a domestic flight, it would only be allowed if you are eligible to enter Japan.
But note that eligible to enter Japan currently means citizen, resident, business trips visa arranged with a Japanese company, special circumstances, or being a student coming to study in Japan. While very relatable, I doubt saving a Japan Airlines first class redemption is a special enough circumstance for a visa.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I'm booking something similar for a backup to my upcoming Japan trip in June if Japan's not open. I snagged LAX-HND-GMP in F/J, in T3 out T1. Are we able to transfer HND T3 to T1 airside? On the way back I'm keeping my existing KIX-LAX, so I'm hoping to get a direct between GMP and KIX that doesn't pass through HND first.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
But note that eligible to enter Japan currently means citizen, resident, business trips visa arranged with a Japanese company, special circumstances, or being a student coming to study in Japan. While very relatable, I doubt saving a Japan Airlines first class redemption is a special enough circumstance for a visa.
Yeah that's what I figured. Gonna hang onto the JFK-HND booking in case there's some kind of miracle and something relaxes somewhere in the rules (like if they start allowing HND/NRT transfers) but have some alternative bookings in place in case it doesn't pan out. Good thing award bookings are so flexible.
worldiswide and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seigex
I'm booking something similar for a backup to my upcoming Japan trip in June if Japan's not open. I snagged LAX-HND-GMP in F/J, in T3 out T1. Are we able to transfer HND T3 to T1 airside? On the way back I'm keeping my existing KIX-LAX, so I'm hoping to get a direct between GMP and KIX that doesn't pass through HND first.
HND GMP is definitely T3, if it starts operating again. As all Korea flights arrivals are limited to Narita and KIX, that probably needs to be lifted before you'd see a HND-GMP again.
TravelLawyer and seigex like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 7:16 pm

HND GMP is definitely T3, if it starts operating again. As all Korea flights arrivals are limited to Narita and KIX, that probably needs to be lifted before you'd see a HND-GMP again.
Damn you're right. I was looking at the GMP arrival gate. Thanks CPH. Understood on the gamble, but for Oneworld points, I don't have much of an option, and both rely on Japan relaxing some rules.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Can one do an overnight in NRT without leaving the terminal on a transit?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Can one do an overnight in NRT without leaving the terminal on a transit?
No, only same day transit is allowed.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
I am flying LAX-NRT-DXB, its NH from LAX-NRT, 4.5 hour layover(ish) and then Emirates NRT to DXB

UA 1k rep told me that “i absolutely need a PCR test going to NRT” even though I have an onward ticket for same day. She mentioned that its a separate reservation, so thats why I need a PCR test.

Goes 100% against Japan rules and stated policies around transiting NRT.

Can anyone verify for me that she is mis-informed? and that ANA wont deny me boarding at LAX? (Bought ANA F ticket via
United)
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:45 am

You do not need a PCR test for transit, only for entering Japan.

Here's the JAL page showing that: Entry restrictions for each country quarantine Measures - JAL

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo PCR tests.
here's the NH page showing it: Information Regarding Travel from/to Japan and Other Countries | ANA Care Promise | ANA

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo inspections in Japan. Nonetheless, travelers are still subject to the travel/entry restrictions and requirements of their final destination.
However, the following cases require entry into Japan. Please be informed that foreign nationals arriving from prohibited countries will not be allowed to enter Japan.
It doesn't matter if it's on one ticket or two, it has to do with whether you're entering Japan or not. And an international-international transit in the same airport doesn't require you to enter Japan.

That said, NH will inspect your required documentation at LAX for DXB. So, if you are required a PCR and/or visa, or whatever, to enter Dubai, they will deny you boarding if you are missing it. For my LAX-NRT-BKK trip, they verified I had my PCR and Thailand pass for entering Thailand. I was also dumped directly in to the international terminal upon arrival, no document check or any other inspection.
Rumples likes this.

Last edited by seigex; Apr 7, 2022 at 11:51 am
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by seigex
You do not need a PCR test for transit, only for entering Japan.

Here's the JAL page showing that: Entry restrictions for each country quarantine Measures - JAL

here's the NH page showing it: Information Regarding Travel from/to Japan and Other Countries | ANA Care Promise | ANA

It doesn't matter if it's on one ticket or two, it has to do with whether you're entering Japan or not. And an international-international transit in the same airport doesn't require you to enter Japan.

That said, NH will inspect your required documentation at LAX for DXB. So, if you are required a PCR and/or visa, or whatever, to enter Dubai, they will deny you boarding if you are missing it. For my LAX-NRT-BKK trip, they verified I had my PCR and Thailand pass for entering Thailand. I was also dumped directly in to the international terminal upon arrival, no document check or any other inspection.
thanks for the quick reply, it’s what I figured, but didn’t want to keep pushing the 1K rep, as I could hear the agitation in her voice.

Dubai lifted the restrictions as long as I have my Covid Vaccine card//QR Code, so i’m good there, and my onwards NRT-DXB ticket.
seigex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.