Search
Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:13 am

Been though HND on separate NH tickets again today. Can report process was even smoother than when I last did it about 8 weeks ago.

Check-in at origin took all of 10-15 min including document check for final destination, through-check of baggage and issuing connecting boarding passes. Last time the same process took about 50 mins. I imagine this is partly down to the 'ANA Travel Ready' service that has been recently launched, which I was not able to take advantage of but the apparent benefit being it has promoted them to collate entry requirements into an easy-to-lookup format that their agents can also refer to rather than ad-hoc Timatic enquiries and head-scratching.

​​​At HND was the usual 15 min wait to be let off the plane after those entering Japan, but was in the lounge within another 10-15 mins of stepping foot in the terminal.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Any experiences transiting NRT from India to SFO? I am looking at JL754-JL58 for a late May trip. Looks like a short 3.5 hr layover in NRT - all airside.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by legionnaire
Any experiences transiting NRT from India to SFO? I am looking at JL754-JL58 for a late May trip. Looks like a short 3.5 hr layover in NRT - all airside.
No experience with the specific connection, but from a flow perspective in Narita, it is more than plenty of time so I can't see any issues in doing it.
legionnaire likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
We just did an overnight transit at HND on JAL (same ticket, no luggage). No scrutiny at checkin apart from a very through examination of the UK PLF.

Pretty much everything is closed in the terminal, luckily the JAL lounge was open until 1:10am on our day, so we were homeless at night for only about 5 hours during which we found some recliners near the playground. Bring blankets as the terminal is chilly overnight.

There were a handful of people also camping overnight, but the whole place was eery and quiet.

Interesting experience to say the least.
The _Banking_Scot and uanj like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond
My husband (triple-vaxxed) is flying LAX-Tokyo-BKK (on ANA) in 2 weeks. He is concerned about the covid requirements - he read somewhere that both Thailand and Japan require a printed paper (not electronic) negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure, signed by a doctor. Does this sound right? If so, any advice on how he can get this? Our health insurance provider could not verify that this could be done within the timeframe.

If this is not the right place to ask this, please move it.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by squiddz
My husband (triple-vaxxed) is flying LAX-Tokyo-BKK (on ANA) in 2 weeks. He is concerned about the covid requirements - he read somewhere that both Thailand and Japan require a printed paper (not electronic) negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure, signed by a doctor. Does this sound right? If so, any advice on how he can get this? Our health insurance provider could not verify that this could be done within the timeframe.

I just did this same flight in January on JAL. There are no checks in Japan. We were dumped right in to the NRT terminal coming from LAX. Coming back from BKK through Tokyo, I think they just checked our passport, but for transit-only, there is NO COVID paperwork required in Japan. Japan only requires it if you are entering the country, which you can't do as a tourist (even to change airports).

In Thailand, unless something's changed in the last couple months, the "fit to fly" document signed by a doctor is no longer required. You do have to have an approved Thailand Pass though, and a COVID test within 72 hours of departure, and 50k in travel insurance (your airline will verify these before you board). Check the Thailand forum for more details on current Thailand requirements.

Just to reiterate since you don't mention an airport in Japan: NRT you can transit, but no overnight layovers, HND, overnight layovers are fine up to 24 hours, and you can't switch NRT to HND or HND to NRT during your layover.
squiddz likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by squiddz

There are providers in LAX that can return a proper certificate within 60 minutes. Though of course also at a cost.... It is generally not a problem to get the test certificates in the Los Angeles area within 72 hours.
squiddz likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:23 am

Thank you @seigex and @CPH-Flyer for your information, we appreciate it. This is a big relief!!!

Last edited by squiddz; Feb 23, 2022 at 8:53 am
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by seigex
I just did this same flight in January on JAL. There are no checks in Japan. We were dumped right in to the NRT terminal coming from LAX. Coming back from BKK through Tokyo, I think they just checked our passport, but for transit-only, there is NO COVID paperwork required in Japan. Japan only requires it if you are entering the country, which you can't do as a tourist (even to change airports).

In Thailand, unless something's changed in the last couple months, the "fit to fly" document signed by a doctor is no longer required. You do have to have an approved Thailand Pass though, and a COVID test within 72 hours of departure, and 50k in travel insurance (your airline will verify these before you board). Check the Thailand forum for more details on current Thailand requirements.

Just to reiterate since you don't mention an airport in Japan: NRT you can transit, but no overnight layovers, HND, overnight layovers are fine up to 24 hours, and you can't switch NRT to HND or HND to NRT during your layover.
Sorry, you are right, I should have mentioned HND as the Japanese airport through which he's transiting. Thanks for pointing that out! 👍🏼
seigex likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:26 am

NRT T2>>>T1

I tried finding the answer from previous posts but dont see this, Can I arrive NRT at T2 on JAL and transfer to T1 to connect to NH? (intl-intl)
And anyone know since I 'm suppose to show my BP to get on the transfer bus, if I if dont have a BP for my NH flight, cause I assume they wont give me an online BP because of document check,do you think they will accept a printed confirmation for the NH flight. Thanks!!
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yamauchig
I tried finding the answer from previous posts but dont see this, Can I arrive NRT at T2 on JAL and transfer to T1 to connect to NH? (intl-intl)
And anyone know since I 'm suppose to show my BP to get on the transfer bus, if I if dont have a BP for my NH flight, cause I assume they wont give me an online BP because of document check,do you think they will accept a printed confirmation for the NH flight. Thanks!!
The airside bus is still running, and as pre-pandemic they do except a print of your onward eticket at transit security and the bus.

As you will be flying on JAL with a ticket with end point in Japan, make sure to have all of your documents ready for inspection by JAL at the initial check-in point. Onward eticket and required documents for your end destination. They will want to be satisfied that they can carry you to Tokyo, without you getting stuck there. That can take a good bit of time, so show up at the JAL counter early.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Feb 27, 2022 at 7:26 pm
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The airside bus is still running, and as pre-pandemic they do except a print of your onward eticket at transit security and the bus.

As your will be flying on JAL with a ticket wide end point in Japan, make sure to have all of your documents ready for inspection by JAL at the initial check-in point. Onward eticket and required documents for your end destination. They will want to be satisfied that they can carry you to Tokyo, without you getting stuck there. That can take a good bit of time, so show up at the JAL counter early.
thanks so much for the info!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by seigex

I'll be flying the same LAX-NRT-BKK route in a few weeks and I'm wondering if JAL checked your Thailand entry documents at check-in at LAX?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by halflight
I'll be flying the same LAX-NRT-BKK route in a few weeks and I'm wondering if JAL checked your Thailand entry documents at check-in at LAX?
Aside from normal stuff, like passport, it was a very cursory check. Looked at my Thailand Pass QR code (didn't scan it), checked the date on my PCR test (which I got from CVS), and verified I had a return ticket.
halflight likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:35 pm

So a flight requiring transfer from HND to NRT is out of the question as of right now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.