Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2022, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by chuck1
What happens if you misconnect your same day connection at NRT?
If you are flying LAX-NRT-BKK and you know LAX-NRT will be late will they not allow you to board?
If you do manage to get on the LAX-NRT flight and get delayed enough to misconnect NRT-BKK how do they handle it?
Is there a special exception where they let you go to a hotel in case where the flight is the next day?
If they know in advance you are not going to make it, they will probably keep you in LAX. But the reports have been that the flights from Narita are being held quite a bit to wait for connecting passengers.

If you were to mis the connection, the special exception is that they will find somewhere in the terminal that they can have you spend the time over night. Expect that to be locked up somewhere for the night. You will not be allowed to go to a hotel.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 12:21 pm

Locked up - oh my! That doesn't sound too comfy.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Locked up - oh my! That doesn't sound too comfy.
They will probably need to confine your movement for the period the terminal is closed. The positive thought is that no one has reported any issues yet and people have reported flights being held for quite long, so they seeming does go out of their way to make sure that passengers make their connections.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Is it possible to connect in Tokyo on separate PNRs without leaving the airport?
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Is it possible to connect in Tokyo on separate PNRs without leaving the airport?
It is. Leave a lot of time for check in at the origin, as they will be wanting to verify the tickets and the documents for the final destination. Depending on the airlines, luggage can be an issue and it will need to be carry on only
Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:18 pm

Are lounges still open to all transit passengers?
Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are lounges still open to all transit passengers?
If you qualify for lounge access, then yes the lounges are operating and transit passengers are released to the general population of passengers.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:47 am

Wonder if anyone else has run into this. I couldn't get a Japan Airlines SYD to ORD ticket via HND for Sept 2022 to ticket via AA since there was an overnight in HND. Talked to 2 AA agents and they are saying this is a relatively new restriction. Japan Airlines restricting ticketing.

Has anyone else run into this? Any workarounds?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Wonder if anyone else has run into this. I couldn't get a Japan Airlines SYD to ORD ticket via HND for Sept 2022 to ticket via AA since there was an overnight in HND. Talked to 2 AA agents and they are saying this is a relatively new restriction. Japan Airlines restricting ticketing.

Has anyone else run into this? Any workarounds?
There should not be an overnight connection, JL9 arrives in Haneda at 15:35 and JL51 departs at 19:20 the same day. Unless you actually is trying to do the 28 hour connection?
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There should not be an overnight connection, JL9 arrives in Haneda at 15:35 and JL51 departs at 19:20 the same day. Unless you actually is trying to do the 28 hour connection?
I was looking at JL 52 arriving at 505 PM and JL 10 leaving at 1145 AM in September.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by charlesonmission
I was looking at JL 52 arriving at 505 PM and JL 10 leaving at 1145 AM in September.
Sorry, I was looking ORD SYD... Mixing up the directions....
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JAL should have no issue in ticketing the flights.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:24 am

Ok, im reading im wanting to make sure im correct in assuming a few things... Leaving 2/22 for Narita on United, continuing on to Manila via ANA... IS there anyway to get luggage checked all the way through with seperate tickets? in the past id have to go through immigration and recheck, but since i can not do that in this age, i want to figure out how my bags will make it or must it all just be carry on ??? Thanks in advance, didnt think about this until this morning lol
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by texxan1
Ok, im reading im wanting to make sure im correct in assuming a few things... Leaving 2/22 for Narita on United, continuing on to Manila via ANA... IS there anyway to get luggage checked all the way through with seperate tickets? in the past id have to go through immigration and recheck, but since i can not do that in this age, i want to figure out how my bags will make it or must it all just be carry on ??? Thanks in advance, didnt think about this until this morning lol
See: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
As CPH-Flyer noted, be one of the first to check in at your origin as there will be a lot of scrutiny of the rules and your paperwork.

FWIW, I was able to check luggage on separate PNRs transiting NRT JL->EK - but this is by no means guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.