FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by SFO777
Pretty sure that there are different rules for GUM since it is just a territory... you even need to clear CBP/customs flying GUM-HNL. A friend has an offices in LA and Guam and transits NRT regularly on a GUM-NRT-LAX routing, both same and separate tickets. Just because UA will sell you a ticket does not mean that they will let you fly the routing... unless you can legally enter Japan. You risk being denied boarding at your outbound US gateway either because you can legally enter Japan or cabotage. But if you decide to go for it, good luck. You may or may not one successful, but I'd recommend having a plan B.

From up thread.... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33086865-post79.html
Good to know with GUM-HNL. Good point, I've seen sales for connections domestically within Japan which are not allowed coming from an international flight. As travel ready center is green and hypothetically I can get mobile boarding passes..... would the boarding denial just be at the gate to Japan? Have seen past threads of folks doing NRT turnarounds/back to mainland US... but that is in non-covid times of course - we will see!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Pretty sure that there are different rules for GUM since it is just a territory... you even need to clear CBP/customs flying GUM-HNL. A friend has an offices in LA and Guam and transits NRT regularly on a GUM-NRT-LAX routing, both same and separate tickets. Just because UA will sell you a ticket does not mean that they will let you fly the routing... unless you can legally enter Japan. You risk being denied boarding at your outbound US gateway either because you can legally enter Japan or cabotage. But if you decide to go for it, good luck. You may or may not one successful, but I'd recommend having a plan B.

From up thread.... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33086865-post79.html
True true true, I was quite focused on the cabotage but here. Though the Guam point, I wonder if Japan does actually see that as a separate 3rd country there. Or they are less strict than the printed rules...
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
True true true, I was quite focused on the cabotage but here. Though the Guam point, I wonder if Japan does actually see that as a separate 3rd country there. Or they are less strict than the printed rules...
At the end of the day, if I get a boarding pass for all flights, then its really up to the EWR gate agent at boarding - once I'm in Japan I'm sure they'd be happy to put me on the LAX flight and away if it is allowed. Considering getting GUM ticket as backup. Would they do a document/covid test check at gate or if you have the "travel ready" on your boarding pass you are good to go?

Last edited by priobagtag; Dec 16, 2021 at 5:24 pm Reason: added quote
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by paine445
At the end of the day, if I get a boarding pass for all flights, then its really up to the EWR gate agent at boarding - once I'm in Japan I'm sure they'd be happy to put me on the LAX flight and away if it is allowed.
Agree. If you are allowed to board at EWR, you should be good. Getting a boarding pass is easy, getting past the gate dragon is the hard part.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:40 pm

Agree. If you are allowed to board at EWR, you should be good. Getting a boarding pass is easy, getting past the gate dragon is the hard part.
Sounds good - likely will just carry on my bag and not run the risk of it being sent around the world without me but looking forward to an interesting experience - will be getting a nice night in Guam if the gate dragon isn't pleased with my current routing
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by vishal407
Hello

travelling from sfo-nrt-Bom on December 23 with 19 hour layover in nrt. Is transit allowed? Will I be able to book a room outside? Please advise

thanks

v
What are your exact flight? Generally the flights from San Francisco arrive 4pm to 5pm, that plus 19 hours means you have an overnight connection, which is not allowed. Please check carefully, and talk to your airline, you risk being denied boarding in San Francisco due to an illegal connection.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Dec 17, 2021 at 6:12 am
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta
Generally the flights from San Francisco arrive 4pm to 5pm, that plus 19 hours means you have an overnight connection, which is now allowed.
A typo there. It should read "which is not allowed".
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nishimark
A typo there. It should read "which is not allowed".
Indeed. Fixed. Thanks.
nishimark likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:29 pm

I am planning a RTW including Narita for late January and wanted to get the collective wisdom on what to expect.

• Flying LAX-NRT in JL First arriving T2 at 16:45 on one ticket.
• Connecting to a 22:30 EK departure T2 to DXB on a separate ticket, also in First.

From colleagues, pax that try to pull this kind of stunt appear to be detained on the arrival flight until someone comes to figure out what to do with me how to get rid of me. Would JL coordinate with EK for some type of handoff?

Once I'm back in departures, except for Starbucks, is anything open after 6pm... lounges, restos, bars, etc.. since the only two evening departures appear to be EK and QR. EK Lounge is temporarily closed and JL.com says their lounge(s) close at 6:30pm.
I'm on this exact itinerary as we speak on JL61. It took a bit of work but let me say, you ain't gonna regret it! The service on JAL F has been impeccable. More details to come later....
SFO777 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:08 am

If you can find a transit desk that can give you your EK boarding pass, pretty good as EK uses the JAL lounges in Narita at the moment.
I'm not sure where you heard this, but sadly it's incorrect, at least it was earlier in the year and again at the present time.

A few tidbits from this journey so far:

I'm in NRT now transferring from JL to EK. At the transfer desk I was issued a meal voucher for 3500 JPY, but there was only 10 minutes to use it at the only restaurant open in the terminal before it closed.
I showed up at the JAL lounge asking if I could get in either on the basis of my EK flight or the inbound JL flight; answer was no; need a same day departing flight on oneworld to gain access. I considered booking a throwaway or fully refundable ticket on the QR flight just to access the lounge but decided against it.

SFO777 there's literally nothing to do in the terminal after 18h30, it's completely dead. Nothing is open after that time except maybe one duty free shop depending on what day of the week it is.

On the plus side, I was able to check in luggage to DXB on this trip thanks to the very helpful JL staff in LAX
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I'm not sure where you heard this, but sadly it's incorrect, at least it was earlier in the year and again at the present time.

I'm in NRT now transferring from JL to EK. At the transfer desk I was issued a meal voucher for 3500 JPY, but there was only 10 minutes to use it at the only restaurant open in the terminal before it closed.
I showed up at the JAL lounge asking if I could get in either on the basis of my EK flight or the inbound JL flight; answer was no; need a same day departing flight on oneworld to gain access. I considered booking a throwaway or fully refundable ticket on the QR flight just to access the lounge but decided against it.

SFO777 there's literally nothing to do in the terminal after 18h30, it's completely dead. Nothing is open after that time except maybe one duty free shop depending on what day of the week it is.

On the plus side, I was able to check in luggage to DXB on this trip thanks to the very helpful JL staff in LAX
Interesting, I have certainly encountered Emirates passengers in the JAL lounge in Narita. But it might have been that the JAL lounge closed early compared to the Emirates flight it. If the last JAL flight was around 6pm to 7pm they might not have been wanting to stay open for the Emirates flight around 10pm.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:29 am

Interesting, I have certainly encountered Emirates passengers in the JAL lounge in Narita. But it might have been that the JAL lounge closed early compared to the Emirates flight it. If the last JAL flight was around 6pm to 7pm they might not have been wanting to stay open for the Emirates flight around 10pm.
The sign at the lounge entrance indicates they're now open until 10 PM. It made me very hopeful.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The sign at the lounge entrance indicates they're now open until 10 PM. It made me very hopeful.
Yeah, December is indeed until 22:00 daily. I guess they parted ways?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks very much YYCCL3 for the live report. Glad to hear that JAL was excellent... but that NRT evening EK experience sounds pretty boring. I had to move my NRT transit to April so hopefully things will improve by then.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by paine445
Thanks guys - going to be doing something instead like EWR-NRT-LAX. All on one UA ticket. Will make sure to update how things go! :-)
Denied boarding, gate dragon was saying I could be deported (despite ticket to SFO) and "the border could close and you'd be stuck", they also said during COVID they have multiple boarding denials a day (someone was even pulled off plane today....) due to confusion and misunderstandings about docs checks and rules. They made it clear it wasn't United/their fault and rather the government rules - did confirm Guam was good of course as a destination, except that it was full - on the bright side, still a fun day in the lounges tho

Happy to be the lab rat :P Now realizing I can do a lot better PQP/MR's and maybe 25 hours of travel isn't worth it during COVID especially. Cheers guys. For reference, I was not questioned at check-in, just at boarding. Appreciate the insights and all - hopefully will get to go through NRT on some tourism post-covid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.