Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:00 pm

Transit KIX-NRT

I am seeing award flights BKK-KIX-NRT-USA for Dec 2021. I know that transit from NRT and HND is still not allowed even though UA and AA are still showing awards for that transit. Does KIX have an airside connection on what would be a domestic flight or is this another phantom award?
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by njfan07
I am seeing award flights BKK-KIX-NRT-USA for Dec 2021. I know that transit from NRT and HND is still not allowed even though UA and AA are still showing awards for that transit. Does KIX have an airside connection on what would be a domestic flight or is this another phantom award?
It is not possible to transit from KIX to NRT either. There are no scheduled flights that operate from the international side of the terminals. It would be necessary to enter Japan, which is not allowed for non residents, and would require quarantine before it is possible to take train or plane to Narita.
njfan07 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:34 pm

Hi all, I just heard news that Japan is now banning all international entries again. Will this affect the transiting passenger as well?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jmcullough101
Hi all, I just heard news that Japan is now banning all international entries again. Will this affect the transiting passenger as well?
They are banning all new entries, not returning resident foreigners. Even at its strictest periods, transits through Japan was not affected. So I don't think anything will change for transit.
nishimark likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Transit in Japan after new omicron restrictions?

I have a JAL flight from US to BKk via NRT in December. Just saw that Japan placed new entry restrictions due to the omicron variant. Is international transit still allowed?

I have not heard anything from JAL and there is no indication on the website yet.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:16 pm

HND transit during COVID

Hello,

I'm soon to travel HEL - HND - BKK in J class (fingers crossed Omicron won't derail my trip!).

I know despite the COVID restrictions at the border in Japan it is still possible to transit while remaining airside.

My question is, do passengers in transit still have access to all the departures areas (lounges, shops etc) or are transit passengers restricted to a smaller, dedicated area due to COVID?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by divrdrew
I have a JAL flight from US to BKk via NRT in December. Just saw that Japan placed new entry restrictions due to the omicron variant. Is international transit still allowed?

I have not heard anything from JAL and there is no indication on the website yet.
There are no restrictions placed on transit as of now.

I am sure JAL will announce it should something be enforced, though even at its harshest border measures, Japan allowed transit like normal. But for now JAL is probably not going to announce that they have nothing to announce.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:15 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are no restrictions placed on transit as of now.
I am sure JAL will announce …
Thanks for reassuring for now but I believe it would be an issue if have to transfer NRT - HND

Thankfully, our flights/connections in December and January are strictly going through NRT.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/11/29/...ember-30-2021/
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Thanks for reassuring for now but I believe it would be an issue if have to transfer NRT - HND

Thankfully, our flights/connections in December and January are strictly going through NRT.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/11/29/...ember-30-2021/
​​​​​​
Yes, as mentioned many times in the thread, changing airport requires entering Japan. Which is not allowed unless you are a resident foreigner or a citizen.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 108912
Hello,

I'm soon to travel HEL - HND - BKK in J class (fingers crossed Omicron won't derail my trip!).

I know despite the COVID restrictions at the border in Japan it is still possible to transit while remaining airside.

My question is, do passengers in transit still have access to all the departures areas (lounges, shops etc) or are transit passengers restricted to a smaller, dedicated area due to COVID?

Thanks in advance
Free to move about the terminal. But please note that if you have a very late flight to BKK shops do tend to close quite early.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:39 pm

Email from ANA about 18 hours ago reconfirming existing airside transit rule:​
If you do not enter Japan and transfer to another country / region, the requirements for entering Japan are not applicable.
Just checked in for a connecting itinerary without any issues so far.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by kevin111260
Has anyone been successful in having their luggage checked through 2 separate tickets and 2 separate airlines?

I’m flying from BKK-HND on JAL in business, and HND-JFK on ANA in first. I know a lot of the other posts say that the airlines can’t guarantee the luggage will be checked through all the way, but just wondering if anyone has any data points that suggest otherwise.
Same itinerary, in late Dec, hope JAL in BKK will let us check bags to JFK.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 12:55 pm

Can still transit HND/NRT now?

Due to Omicron, I know Japan has closed its borders, but I'm not entirely sure what the rule is pertaining to transits. The Japanese airlines' websites don't specifically make this clear (or at least that's what I gleaned in recent days). Can someone please point me to rules for travellers who wish to transit at a Japanese airport?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by 108912
Someone I know transited HND in mid Oct, the shops that were open at HND were very limited. But no issues going to the lounge, passenger was travelling F so used the JL F lounge.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Due to Omicron, I know Japan has closed its borders, but I'm not entirely sure what the rule is pertaining to transits. The Japanese airlines' websites don't specifically make this clear (or at least that's what I gleaned in recent days). Can someone please point me to rules for travellers who wish to transit at a Japanese airport?
Transit is so far unaffected by the change of border measures. Same transit rules as throughout the pandemic. No overnight transit in Narita, no changing of airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.