FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS 75K, BA Gold, AF Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Same ticket? As in would ANA know to expect you coming in on the JAL flight?

Though transit passengers are taken off the plane first, there are times when there is a wait, as they have to wait for other flights to be cleared. Only one flight at a time.

(I assume you are not domestic to international)
International to international (LHR-HND-LAX)

Not the same ticket--but maybe there is a way to let ANA know to expect me?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:20 am

Hi All,

My wife and I have upcoming flights this Feb for MNL-NRT-LAX and return JFK-HND-MNL, we had to book separate awards/tickets for each flight. I would like to get your opinions on our with separate tickets (different PNR, e-ticket number, booking reference) with the below scenario:

1) Both flights on ANA
- MNL/NRT on NH820
** Same day 2h layover

- NRT/LAX on NH6

2) Flights on different airlines
- JFK/HND on NH109
** Overnight 21h layover

- HND/MNL on PR421

From reading through this thread. it seems that for the outbound MNL-NRT-LAX, there should be no issues transiting NRT and through-checking baggage since both flights are on ANA.

My questions are mostly for the my inbound flights JFK-HND-MNL:

1) Since these will be on different airlines, do you think the check-in agent in JFK will have issues checking us in? What are my chances?

2) ANA and PAL have an interline agreement and I am hoping to have baggage checked-through. We are open to just having hand luggage if this helps with us not being denied boarding, would this make a difference?

3) For all the COVID travel requirements, will the check-in agent in JFK be the one to check for the correct documents for the final destination even if the connecting flight to the final destination MNL is on PAL?

4) We will be doing online check-in for the HND-MNL flight, will we be able to get boarding passes airside in HND, maybe in a transit counter?

5) On the off change the HND-MNL flight is cancelled, we would end up staying more than 24 hours in HND in transit to re-book to the next flight. What happens now?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am looking to book SYD-HND-LHR for April on JL. The flight arrives into HND at 17:05 and onward at 11:20 the next day. From what I have looked into, it seems that it is permitted as long as staying airside

Was going to book the airside hotel for 12 hours to sleep

Is my understanding correct or is there a reason why there would be a problem
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am looking to book SYD-HND-LHR for April on JL. The flight arrives into HND at 17:05 and onward at 11:20 the next day. From what I have looked into, it seems that it is permitted as long as staying airside

Was going to book the airside hotel for 12 hours to sleep

Is my understanding correct or is there a reason why there would be a problem
Haneda does allow overnight transfers. But from my understanding the airside part of the hotel has yet to reopen. That could change by April but personally I wouldn’t bet on it.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by VTrain
Haneda does allow overnight transfers. But from my understanding the airside part of the hotel has yet to reopen. That could change by April but personally I wouldn’t bet on it.
Ohh. I didn't realise that the hotel was closed; the hotel's website didn't seem to indicate this when I checked - thanks for the information
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Ohh. I didn't realise that the hotel was closed; the hotel's website didn't seem to indicate this when I checked - thanks for the information
The hotel does state that on the homepage, there is also a landside operation to the hotel that is still open, which is what usually cause the confusion.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 24, 2022 at 7:32 pm
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:28 pm

The hotel does state that on the homepage, there is also a landside operation to the hotel that is still opera, which is what usually cause the confusion.
It is probably due to searching from Google that I ended up on a description page of transit hotel with no info that it was closed ; my fault that I missed it

Might explain why the premium economy fare is so good
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:29 pm

Hello.

I currently have a long 20hr layover in HND. What would happen if the onward flight is cancelled while I am in HND (airside) already, and the next available flight is more than the 24 hour transit limit?

Does it still matter since I am already in HND? ... Besides the additional long wait of course.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by benitz8
Hello.

I currently have a long 20hr layover in HND. What would happen if the onward flight is cancelled while I am in HND (airside) already, and the next available flight is more than the 24 hour transit limit?

Does it still matter since I am already in HND? ... Besides the additional long wait of course.
They would probably find somewhere you could be slightly more comfortable, but you'd need to spend the time airside in the terminal.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:35 am

Stay at Firts Cabin hotel

Hello, I’m trying to book a flight from LAX-HND-SGN in June. Since the Royal park hotel is closed, can I take the the free bus to terminal 1 to stay at the First Cabin? I will transit at Haneda for 11 hours.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:36 am

Stay at Firts Cabin hotel

Hello, I’m trying to book a flight from LAX-HND-SGN in June. Since the Royal park hotel is closed, can I take the the free bus to terminal 1 to stay at the First Cabin? I will transit at Haneda for 11 hours.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adaoqw
Currently, you can't leave the airside transit area of terminal 3 so until further notice that is a solid no.

If the borders open enough to allow you to do that, the transit hotel would probably also have reopened.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:09 am

Hello.

Has anyone had problems with separate tickets (different PNR, e-ticket number, booking reference) with the below scenario:

1) Both flights on ANA
- MNL/NRT on NH
- NRT/LAX on NH

- JFK/HND on NH
- HND/MNL on PR

WIth all the COVID travel requirements, will the check-in agent in MNL (for scenario 1) and in JFK (for scenario 2) check for the correct documents for the final destination?

How about boarding passes specially for scenario 2 having different airlines?

Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benitz8
Hello.

Has anyone had problems with separate tickets (different PNR, e-ticket number, booking reference) with the below scenario:

1) Both flights on ANA
- MNL/NRT on NH
- NRT/LAX on NH

- JFK/HND on NH
- HND/MNL on PR

WIth all the COVID travel requirements, will the check-in agent in MNL (for scenario 1) and in JFK (for scenario 2) check for the correct documents for the final destination?

How about boarding passes specially for scenario 2 having different airlines?

Number 1 is not an issue. Number 2 is generally not an issue, but the ability to have checked luggage and the ease of it will greatly depend on the specific airlines in question.
​​​​
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:52 am

Number 1 is not an issue. Number 2 is generally not an issue, but the ability to have checked luggage and the ease of it will greatly depend on the specific airlines in question.
​​​​
ANA and PAL have an interline agreement so supposed to be they will check-thru luggage. But this still largely depends on the check-in agent in JFK correct? You think it helps that we are in First for the JFK-HND leg? Maybe a nicer more accomodating agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.