Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Gberg
Booked a transfer from TK to NH for next week (HND, 3 hour layover).

Saw a report where someone was denied boarding for doing a similar thing in BKK with TK.

Anyone have any experience with TK check-in at IST for Japan?
Transit in BKK has been severely regulated and restricted. So if they ran afoul of those rules, they would rightly have been denied boarding. Japan has little restrictions on transit. Same day in Narita, 24 hours in Haneda, no changing of airports, stuff like that.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Under the current rules, does it matter if the connection at HND is on two separate itineraries? Looking at a DFW-HND-SYD itinerary all on JAL later this year, but would have the two legs on different itineraries.

No stopover, just an approximately 5 hour layover.

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Under the current rules, does it matter if the connection at HND is on two separate itineraries? Looking at a DFW-HND-SYD itinerary all on JAL later this year, but would have the two legs on different itineraries.

No stopover, just an approximately 5 hour layover.

Thanks!
Transit on two separate itineraries is allowed, no problem. The only issue you will have is if there is a delay, and you miss your flight, there's no protection to get a new flight and it will be up to the departing airline to accommodate you. 5 hours is a nice buffer though, so it comes down to how comfortable you are with it. When checking in at DFW, they will validate you have the onward ticket between HND and SYD.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by seigex
Transit on two separate itineraries is allowed, no problem. The only issue you will have is if there is a delay, and you miss your flight, there's no protection to get a new flight and it will be up to the departing airline to accommodate you. 5 hours is a nice buffer though, so it comes down to how comfortable you are with it.
Thanks. Five hour buffer, plus international to international, plus all on JAL, plus it's Japan - leads me to think it's low risk.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Thanks. Five hour buffer, plus international to international, plus all on JAL, plus it's Japan - leads me to think it's low risk.
I would be comfortable with it. Also, since you're flying in from the US, there's no security check, you are dumped straight into the international terminal, so there are no lines you have to worry about.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by seigex
I would be comfortable with it. Also, since you're flying in from the US, there's no security check, you are dumped straight into the international terminal, so there are no lines you have to worry about.
there certainly is a transit security for US arrivals, unless anything has changed since Monday last week
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by wmaciej
there certainly is a transit security for US arrivals, unless anything has changed since Monday last week
You're right, I flew in to NRT in late December, which had no transit security, I was thinking that both HND and NRT eliminated transit security for flights from the US, but it appears to only be NRT.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:06 pm

Maybe this is the right thread, maybe not.

Is it possible to do
USA to NRT (or HND) - ticket #1
NRT (or HND) to Asia - ticket #2

Same transit airport. Not crossing. I am thinking JFK to NRT on AA or UA, then NRT to another onward country a few hours later. Maybe Zippair.

Only carryon bags.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Global321
Maybe this is the right thread, maybe not.

Is it possible to do
USA to NRT (or HND) - ticket #1
NRT (or HND) to Asia - ticket #2

Same transit airport. Not crossing. I am thinking JFK to NRT on AA or UA, then NRT to another onward country a few hours later. Maybe Zippair.

Only carryon bags.
Theoretically and practically possible. Though I would probably not count on Zipair to be the second carrier. Being an LCC, they might have less flexible rules about check in and document checks. I'd want a full service carrier there to make sure that there is a smooth transfer.
​​​​​
Global321 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Theoretically and practically possible. Though I would probably not count on Zipair to be the second carrier. Being an LCC, they might have less flexible rules about check in and document checks. I'd want a full service carrier there to make sure that there is a smooth transfer.
​​​​​
Thanks for the response and appreciate the advice. Good point about Zippair.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vishal407
Hello

travelling from sfo-nrt-Bom on December 23 with 19 hour layover in nrt. Is transit allowed? Will I be able to book a room outside? Please advise

thanks

v
I don't understand why airlines are selling tickets like this when overnight at NRT is not allowed. I've even seen lots of cheap fares for flights connecting from HND to NRT (and vice versa), which isn't allowed either. I'd avoid connections in Japan unless it's a short one, doesn't require you to leave the airside, preferably on the same ticket, etc.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I don't understand why airlines are selling tickets like this when overnight at NRT is not allowed. I've even seen lots of cheap fares for flights connecting from HND to NRT (and vice versa), which isn't allowed either. I'd avoid connections in Japan unless it's a short one, doesn't require you to leave the airside, preferably on the same ticket, etc.
It is always the duty of the passenger to ensure that they have the necessary documents and eligibility to complete the journey as booked.

International transit in the US always requires the traveler to be admissible to the US as there is full immigration. The airlines do not stick a warning on the booking screen for that either.

There is nothing wrong with the connection in the post you quote, there are just very few people eligible to use it at the moment.
ainternational and seigex like this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 11, 2022 at 8:16 pm
Old Mar 12, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
International transit in the US always requires the traveler to be admissible to the US as there is full immigration. The airlines do not stick a warning on the booking screen for that either.
This is an excellent point and entirely true.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by squiddz
Thank you @seigex and @CPH-Flyer for your information, we appreciate it. This is a big relief!!!
And of course, you were correct - he had no trouble transiting through Tokyo. Thanks again!
CPH-Flyer and seigex like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:19 am

I'm considering a HKG-NRT-LAX (JL736/JL62) itinerary in June. The connection is only 75 minutes though. I expect the flight to be full leaving HKG. Is that enough time for bags to make the connection? Thanks

Looking at the flight arrival history isn't helpful, as there have only been four flights in the past three months, and the flight will also be re-timed for a morning departure (instead of overnight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.