Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by seigex
I think you're missing a couple words, it's between HND and GMP. I've read that the first flights are on 6/30 and airlines will start out taking turns.
The current schedule for JAL is JL91/92 operates on June 30th, and July 3rd, 7th, 10th, 14th, 17th. From July 20th and forward still TBD. All other JAL flights still suspended for the period.
seigex likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The current schedule for JAL is JL91/92 operates on June 30th, and July 3rd, 7th, 10th, 14th, 17th. From July 20th and forward still TBD. All other JAL flights still suspended for the period.
Indeed I did, my mistake!
If JAL continues their posted schedule of GMP-HND, then my GMP-HND-LAX on July 22nd would still not work.
By chance that there's a GMP-HND flight on July 21st, I don't believe that would work either as it would be a >24hr connection.
Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Thanks CPH-Flyer .. also realized that was something I read from invalyd in the korea forum. Sucks your wife's flight was canceled.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
To add to the above schedule, ANA will operate NH861/864 on July 1st, 4th, 8th, 11th, and 15th, after that TBD.
seigex likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:29 am

I've read in this thread that a layover greater than 24 hours is not allowed. However, JAL website will allow a GMP-HND-LAX booking which has this layover if I booked for July 21.

I would book the GMP-HND flight with cash and keep my Alaska redemption for the HND-LAX leg, asking GMP check in staff to tag my luggage all the way to LAX.

Any confirmed/written policy suggesting this wouldn't work?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Just because JAL sells or tickets it doesn’t mean you in particular can take it. It’s totally valid for a Japanese citizen or resident, so they sell it, and they have no way of checking that beforehand so it’s on you to ensure that you can take the flight.

As a direct example, I’m sure you can get JAL to ticket GMP-HND. That doesn’t mean they’ll guarantee you entry into Japan.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Is it correct that the pre-departure test for Japan is only for those whose final destination is Japan and not required for international to international transit in Japan?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Is it correct that the pre-departure test for Japan is only for those whose final destination is Japan and not required for international to international transit in Japan?
That is correct.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:34 pm

I have to book my ICN-NRT flight to catch my NRT-LAX connection on JAL. Assuming no IRROPS, is it fine to book any carrier that operates the ICN-NRT route? And further, do I need the NRT-LAX ticket printed at ICN to board my flight? Been a while since I've done this so appreciate any recent DP. Won't be checking bags, if that matters.

Last year I flew ICN-NRT on OZ and NRT-ORD on NH. The OZ desk at Incheon printed my onward ticket but I never figured out if that was really necessary.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjangoo
I have to book my ICN-NRT flight to catch my NRT-LAX connection on JAL. Assuming no IRROPS, is it fine to book any carrier that operates the ICN-NRT route? And further, do I need the NRT-LAX ticket printed at ICN to board my flight? Been a while since I've done this so appreciate any recent DP. Won't be checking bags, if that matters.

Last year I flew ICN-NRT on OZ and NRT-ORD on NH. The OZ desk at Incheon printed my onward ticket but I never figured out if that was really necessary.
It is a very good idea to have a print of your e-ticket for flights like this. If you stay within one alliance it is easier than if you change alliance. Be aware that Zipair only really allows connections to a few of their own flights, so they will not allow you to board with a connection to another airline.
jjangoo likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:23 pm

Hi all,

I currently have the following itinerary:

1.) JFK - KUL in late August on Turkish; then paying a cash fair to go to DPS

2.) Open Jaw HND - JFK (September 13th) on ANA

I have not finalized our flight from DPS - HND as I am hoping we will be able to travel in Japan by early September. If no decision on foreign entry has been made by early August, I will book DPS - BKK (any airline) and then BKK - HND (preferably on Thai) on September 12th, within the 24 hour window at HND.

I want to confirm this arrangement will work?

Also, If I fly BKK - HND on Thai, and fly HND - JFK, does that mean I will be able to bring checked luggage because they are both star alliance?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add to the above schedule, ANA will operate NH861/864 on July 1st, 4th, 8th, 11th, and 15th, after that TBD.
As an interesting point for this, the government of Japan has not yet lifted the requirements that flights from Korea can only arrive at Narita and Kansai airports. The last update to the entry rules was on the 26th, and that requirement remained. Cutting it close?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
Originally Posted by jjangoo

One issue that might be troublesome is getting your onward journey boarding pass if the carriers are different (and perhaps even if they are on the same alliance but not same PNR). The boarding pass will then be unlikely to be issued at ICN and I am not sure if the carrier will have a transit desk at NRT.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
One issue that might be troublesome is getting your onward journey boarding pass if the carriers are different (and perhaps even if they are on the same alliance but not same PNR). The boarding pass will then be unlikely to be issued at ICN and I am not sure if the carrier will have a transit desk at NRT.
JAL has a transit desk in Narita, not too much worry about that.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:12 pm

Hi all,

I currently have an open jaw itinerary: JFK - KUL (Late August, Turkish Airline in J) and HND - JFK (Early September ANA, F).
So long as my flight from KUL to HND is within 24 hours of my HND - JFK leg, I should not expect any issues with boarding?

And, if I understand this right, if I book a Star Alliance partner from KUL to HND, I will be able to check luggage on my way back to North America?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.