Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hoth300
I was thinking about the MCT more for the baggage... obviously no guarantee that GA will check through but just want to see if it was within the MCT.
From what I can tell, both the GA arrival and NH departure at HND will be at terminal 3 so I know it's risky but I think I can make it. Thanks for the advice!
The issue with through checking is not so much if they can, it is more if their policy allows. BA does not allow checking through across separate BA tickets, while there is absolutely zero doubt that they can do it. Interline agreements talk about technical ability, then there is a policy on top of that.

I am not sure when you are intending the flights, but eventually, some of the NH flights will move to terminal 2 in Haneda again.
​​​​​​
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
If I'm connecting on JAL through HND in Biz will I have access to the First Class lounge which the website says "JAL First Class Lounge is partially open.(Open hour varies by day)" It says the Biz Sakura lounge is closed at both NRT and HND.

Question 2, in the case that I do have access to the First class lounge as a J passenger, are showers open?

3rd question. If somehow my only option is an overnight layover in HND -Is that basically a no-no given COVID restrictions, or is that something I could do?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Braswch
If I'm connecting on JAL through HND in Biz will I have access to the First Class lounge which the website says "JAL First Class Lounge is partially open.(Open hour varies by day)" It says the Biz Sakura lounge is closed at both NRT and HND.

Question 2, in the case that I do have access to the First class lounge as a J passenger, are showers open?

3rd question. If somehow my only option is an overnight layover in HND -Is that basically a no-no given COVID restrictions, or is that something I could do?

Thanks!
The only lounge that is open is the first class lounge, so also business class passengers are sent there.

The showers are open.

You can do an overnight connection in Haneda. But the lounge closes overnight, and the airside transit hotel is closed, so you will have to find a comfortable seat somewhere in the terminal to spend the night.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
PCR Test transit

Hi guys,

Need to transit in NRT (same day connection/ 1 ticket).

Does Japan require a -PCR test for airside transit similar to transit requirements in Taiwan?

AC doesn't require it, not too sure if NH does. Destination country doesn't require it either as testing will be done after arrival.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supatight80
Hi guys,

Need to transit in NRT (same day connection/ 1 ticket).

Does Japan require a -PCR test for airside transit similar to transit requirements in Taiwan?

AC doesn't require it, not too sure if NH does. Destination country doesn't require it either as testing will be done after arrival.
No PCR required for transit currently.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80

I didn't have/need one. NH asked for PCR test results at checkin initially , but didn't ask for it again after (taking 15min and agent talking to other agents/supervisor) to verify visa&entry requirements for my final destination.

Get to airport early enough. I had some additional comments for the NH forum lounge thread/this thread, though it may be 3-4 months outdated)

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 23, 2021 at 9:27 pm
Old Mar 23, 2021, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
I didn't have/need one. NH asked for PCR test results at checkin initially , but didn't ask for it again after (taking 15min and agent talking to other agents/supervisor) to verify visa&entry requirements for my final destination.

Get to airport early enough. I had some additional comments for the NH forum lounge thread/this thread, though it may be 3-4 months outdated)
These days it is always a good idea to check in very early. It sometimes takes a lot of time, even for conditions that you'd expect to be pretty straight forward.

The agent is not trying to be difficult, just trying to make heads and tails out of a every changing set of rules.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
These days it is always a good idea to check in very early. It sometimes takes a lot of time, even for conditions that you'd expect to be pretty straight forward.

The agent is not trying to be difficult, just trying to make heads and tails out of a every changing set of rules.
Yeah, i understood that possiblity . Got to the airport 2.5hour before fight (checkin opens 3 hr before)

Good thing it was jfk t7 on a Sunday, there were only 4 flights operating that entire day from that terminal. No lounge though, so just found a quiet corner and waited 2 hours airside before boarding
of course there had to be another flight that was delayed 4 hour a few gates over
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Thanks guys!

Really appreciate it
Old May 3, 2021, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
question for those with knowledge on transit & entry restrictions in japan during covid times....

little bit of a background....i made a redemption booking on cx for my brother & his family for the 29th of june....4 jfk-del tickets in business class....all 4 are indian citizens who are currently in usa on a b1/b2 visa & have been there for almost 4 months....they have to leave usa by the 7th of july....now cx flights from hkg - india remain suspended indefinitely....i'm pretty confident this ban is unlikely to come to an end by the end of june....

since cx is not flying to india right now, i called to ask them what alternatives would be available since their flight will ultimately get cancelled....after a lot of back & forth cx have agreed to shift all 4 to a jal flight on the 7th of july....the problem is that the flight goes from jfk-nrt & then hnd-del....the connection time is 18 hours so no worries on that front....however i have no clue if they will be eligible for a transit visa at this time....

entry to those who have been in india for the previous 14 days is banned in japan but i'm not sure if entry from usa is banned or not....does anyone have any clue or experience with transit in japan during covid times????
Old May 3, 2021, 3:41 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Keyser
the problem is that the flight goes from jfk-nrt & then hnd-del
AFAIK, change of airport is not possible at this time. Arrival at NRT followed by transit to HND requires entry into Japan. Use of public transportation is prohibited for 14 days. etc. etc. Perhaps someone has more up-to-date info. on this.
Your best option may be to get a flight to HND and transfer at HND.
I guess that it might also be possible to extend visas for continued residency in the USA in this circumstance.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed as above, there are no options to transit between Narita and Haneda unless they carry a Japanese passport or are resident foreigners in Japan.

The case presented would require US HND India to work.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jib71
AFAIK, change of airport is not possible at this time. Arrival at NRT followed by transit to HND requires entry into Japan. Use of public transportation is prohibited for 14 days. etc. etc. Perhaps someone has more up-to-date info. on this.
Your best option may be to get a flight to HND and transfer at HND.
I guess that it might also be possible to extend visas for continued residency in the USA in this circumstance.
that's what i was thinking as well....i believe all jal flights to india are departing from hnd & the only flights cx is willing to put them on gets into nrt....

they do have the option to extend their visa however at that point it would have been 6 months since they left & they need to get back home....so in a worse case scenario they will have to buy a ticket to come back....
Old May 3, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question NRT Lounge

Friend soon flies UA EWR-NRT-GUM-SPN and asks how to find what lounges are open en route? Is LoungeBuddy (i.e. NRT) trustworthy? I found little in FT's Japan forum and none of the 1st 60 threads in UA MP were about lounges.

It's been so long since I've posted here that I feel rusty so pardon if this is the improper thread or forum.

Last edited by Richard Chen; May 3, 2021 at 10:38 am Reason: typos
Old May 3, 2021, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Friend soon flies UA EWR-NRT-GUM-SPN and asks how to find what lounges are open en route?
Is this a valid routing, or do you have to arrive from one country and continue to a different country if you wish to do airside transit in Japan during covid-19? EWR and GUM are both in the same country.
SFO777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.