Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2023, 7:28 am

ANA LAX >HND 10h-LO HND > TSA Check through question

Hi I'm traveling Business Class: ANA Airlines from LAX (Los Angeles, US) to HND (Tokyo Haneda), have a 10 hour layover then HND to TSA (Taipei-Songshan).
I was wondering if. this is meets check through or can I claim my baggage? I prefer to only carry my iPad on plane with no carry on. I will, however, require access to my check in luggage in the interim. (toiletries, change of clothes, add Japan items (legal limitations) and recheck en route to Taiwan.

Other info, two. different planes, booking all managed by ANA, and single ticket from what I can tell.

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Transit or not to Transit: The 17 hour Question at HND

Dear Japan FT Folks,

I have a choice in October with a return flight on ANA from SIN to HND in C and HND to ORD in F. The flight arrives HND at 1730 and departs the following morning at 1040. I would usually just exit the airport and go into Tokyo for a nice dinner then return to the airport for the morning flight. However, for the last few trips (before and after the pandemic) I have experienced long immigration lines at HND and recently (April) a long security line (even with face ID) getting back into the airport.

So, I'm thinking of just staying in the transit hotel for 12 hours and using the ANA lounge before and after to make the transit time work with minimal effort.

What say y'all? Am I just being a lazy fool or is this just the better option at the moment?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by cyborg
Dear Japan FT Folks,

I have a choice in October with a return flight on ANA from SIN to HND in C and HND to ORD in F. The flight arrives HND at 1730 and departs the following morning at 1040. I would usually just exit the airport and go into Tokyo for a nice dinner then return to the airport for the morning flight. However, for the last few trips (before and after the pandemic) I have experienced long immigration lines at HND and recently (April) a long security line (even with face ID) getting back into the airport.

So, I'm thinking of just staying in the transit hotel for 12 hours and using the ANA lounge before and after to make the transit time work with minimal effort.

What say y'all? Am I just being a lazy fool or is this just the better option at the moment?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
I do not think there is anything wrong with stay at the transit area. There will be people who suggests that unless you go out to the city of Tokyo, have a fancy dinner, and stay at a fancy hotel, then it is waste of time. I don't think so. If you are planning to stay at the transit hotel at the gate side then you should get going with the reservation. I looked up the Haneda transit hotel at Terminal 3 website and already some days in September are sold out and many days in October only has few rooms left.

There is a new facility Haneda Airport Garden right across the parking lot at Terminal 3 which has shops, restaurants, onsen, and hotels. However, access to Haneda Airport Garden will require going through passport control and going through departure formalities. You want to avoid arrival and departure formalities, this may not be what you are looking for. Also, Haneda Airport Garden will be very busy with local people, especially during weekends.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jun 21, 2023 at 2:31 pm
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I do not think there is anything wrong with stay at the transit area. There will be people who suggests that unless you go out to the city of Tokyo, have a fancy dinner, and stay at a fancy hotel, then it is waste of time. I don't think so. If you are planning to stay at the transit hotel at the gate side then you should get going with the reservation. I looked up the Haneda transit hotel at Terminal 3 website and already some days in September are sold out and many days in October only has few rooms left.

There is a new facility Haneda Airport Garden right across the parking lot at Terminal 3 which has shops, restaurants, onsen, and hotels. However, access to Haneda Airport Garden will require going through passport control and going through departure formalities. You want to avoid arrival and departure formalities, this may not be what you are looking for. Also, Haneda Airport Garden will be very busy with local people, especially during weekends.
Many thanks for the advice. Already done, reserved for 12 hours in the transit hotel. It can be canceled, so looking for reasons to not stay airside. I was looking at the Villa Fontaine Premium through Agoda for the same price, but still the time spent to and from through those HND lines seemed just like a bad idea for such a short stay.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by cyborg
Dear Japan FT Folks,

Cheers,

-Cyborg
I guess it depends on what you value -- coming from SIN you won't be jet lagged and can get a proper meal in Tokyo and then get a good nights sleep and then head to airport -- or just sleep in the airside hotel which will be functional but food will suck and 12 hours of nothingness / relaxation / boredom / bliss .... Lines are getting shorter now that things are returning to normal.... So to me it comes down to what you value more....
dollar likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Cyborg,

I haven't had issues getting out of HND in something resembling a timely fashion recently. I'd just find a nice place somewhere in town, exactly where depends on your interests and budget. Try to get back to the airport by about 0730-0800 since I'm going to assume most of your bags will be checked through and you'll already have your boarding pass for HND-ORD already. You should allow for rush hour issues for when to leave your hotel for the airport.

There are much better choices of places to stay, eat, and things to do if you head into Tokyo (or Yokohama/Kanagawa) proper. Not much at the airport but lots more options within a reasonable time/distance for hotels, food, other things to do.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:51 am

Ok, so thanks for the gentle shove in the right direction; staying in town for the night instead of retreating to the transit cave. I booked B Akasaka and hope to visit Zakuro my favorite Shabu Shabu place in the TBS Biz Tower (5 minute walk). There is some risk that immigration will delay my arrival to hotel such that I miss the booking; their last online reservation is for 1900 and I expect it to be a close call based on April trip. However, that area offers many "Backup" options for walk-in meals and if I arrive early there are a couple of places to enjoy a beverage. When comparing the cost of the transit for 12 hours vs the cost of r/t taxi and hotel it is a wash.

Note: I'm still using the transit hotel for my inbound flight a couple of weeks earlier, but that is on JAL in F connecting C, so I have no issues with using the JAL Sakura lounge before bedtime; a couple of Yamazaki 12 yr nightcaps to wash down a light snack to induce sleep and mitigate jet lag ;-)

Many thanks!

Cheers,

-Cyborg
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:38 pm

Am I going to be fine flying ITM-HND-JFK with a 1 hr 25 min layover?

If you guys think that's iffy at all I can do 2 hr 25 min.

JAL J, all one ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by tygran37

JAL J, all one ticket.
If delayed first flight , JL will rebook you since one ticket

But if delay, are you willing to wait 6 hour or overnight (JL operates 2x daily hnd jfk). And do you want more time to enjoy JL J lounge at HND

If you don't care, then take the shorter one
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by tygran37

JAL J, all one ticket.
1h 25m is not going to cause a headache for domestic to international. It is pretty quick to connect.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It might be time for a moderator to take the corona tag out of the title of the thread, and just leave it as the connection master thread. (using this post to flag the point to a moderator)
Old Jun 28, 2023, 1:29 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Done, thank you!

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
LapLap and CPH-Flyer like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: KF Gold, AM, AS, MB Titanium, HH Diamond, ALL Plat
Hi,

I’m flying into NRT and will have 15 hours layover before my next flight HND-BKK. Planning to book private transfer from NRT-HND and check my luggage instead of carrying it into town. Does HND JAL accepts early check in?

Also, any information on how long immigration in NRT at 7:30am will be? Need to schedule airport transfer. Is 1 hour after landing is too tight?

Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2023, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Hi all. I have *A flights coming up with a 9.5 hour layover outbound (US-TYO-Asia) and 10 hours inbound (back to US). Both connections are in HND. Any updated suggestions on what to do in/near/around? I can't read 107 pages of this thread (sorry!). I land about 330pm and depart 1230am on the outbound. The return is something like 730am arrival and 530pm departure.

The Royal Park seems to only have overnight rates ($200) and I think I'm more interested in a few Tokyo sights and maybe some food.

Separately, is there an NH lounge I can leave my backpack at? My regular bag will be checked through. Rather not travel around TYO with anything I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

-RM
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Separately, is there an NH lounge I can leave my backpack at? My regular bag will be checked through. Rather not travel around TYO with anything I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

-RM
upon arrival on HND, you have to either proceed thru transit security (to access lounge) or immigration .

Going to lounge and backtracking to immigration is complicated (think it's doable but takes time).

Best is to just proceed to immigration, There are plenty of lockers available at the airport landside(or various train station) to stash the backpack or carryon if needed. Coin or suica

Have you been to Tokyo? Would recommed a stop at any don quijote for souvenirs (bring your own bag or pay $ for plastic bag)
The _Banking_Scot and RobOnLI like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.