Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:23 pm

HND-NRT transfer

I have a flight arriving at HND (terminal 2) at 13:55 (I’ll be in F) and the my connecting flight departs NRT (terminal 2) at 18:20. I’ve been told this is doable but I’m still anxious about the time timeframe. I didn’t realise when I booked that there was a change of airports otherwise I wouldn’t have done it. Booked as a reward tix.

is there anyway to see the bus timetable for July next year? I can only see up to Dec on the website and there are buses at
14:50 arriving 16:10
15:20 arriving at 16:40

i don’t know if I would make the 14:50 bus and the 15:20 bus is cutting it fine for check-in. What other options do I have (private taxi is too expensive)

wondering if I should try and change my ticket?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Melissa Barnes
I have a flight arriving at HND (terminal 2) at 13:55 (I’ll be in F) and the my connecting flight departs NRT (terminal 2) at 18:20. I’ve been told this is doable but I’m still anxious about the time timeframe. I didn’t realise when I booked that there was a change of airports otherwise I wouldn’t have done it. Booked as a reward tix.

is there anyway to see the bus timetable for July next year? I can only see up to Dec on the website and there are buses at
14:50 arriving 16:10
15:20 arriving at 16:40

i don’t know if I would make the 14:50 bus and the 15:20 bus is cutting it fine for check-in. What other options do I have (private taxi is too expensive)

wondering if I should try and change my ticket?
You don't actually have to check in at Narita, only perform bag drop. Check in deadline would be 17:20, I don't know how close they would accept your bags, but probably as long as they can get you through security and immigration and on to the plane on time. All assuming you are on ticket...

You would not really know if you are arriving in Haneda T2, unless you are talking about a domestic flight. The arrivals into T2 international in Haneda are decided more or less on the day for operational reasons.

Though Haneda T2 international and Narita T2 would with a few exceptions indicate a change of alliance and carrier, which may add a few complications, if you can hint a bit more specifically at your routing it might be possible to give some more tips, but generally that is plenty of time for the airport change.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:33 pm

Thanks. Routing is CDG-HND with JAL (in F) the NRT-MEL also with JAL in J. All on one ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Melissa Barnes
Thanks. Routing is CDG-HND with JAL (in F) the NRT-MEL also with JAL in J. All on one ticket.
Excellent. Haneda T3 arrival and Narita T2 departure.

No problem in time I'd say, take a bus from Haneda T3 to Narita T2. Boarding for your Melbourne flight will start about 20 minutes before departure, and JAL will be ready to help you through if things are running late.
Melissa Barnes likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:43 pm

Thanks, I’ll stick with it then, rather than trying to change
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:00 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
With that itinerarry I am pretty sure that you will arrive at HND Terminal 3. The Limousine Bus leaves T3 at 14:40.

You might make it onto that bus - especially if you tell the flight crew about the tight connection, and ask them to arrange for someone to help you to get through the airport. If you don't, it's still possible to get to NRT on time.

The next couple of buses, don't stop at Terminal 3 ... so you would need to take an inter-terminal bus to T1 or T2 and catch the Limousine bus to NRT from there. Or ...

Another option is Keikyu Airport-Rapid-Limited Express Train (Destination Narita Airport)
Departs Haneda Terminal 3 station at 15:07 and arrives at Narita Airport Terminal 2 station at 16:36
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rs7P9hGWHRQ2M5oAA

Trains to several destinations depart from the Keikyu platform, so be careful not to get on the wrong train. You want the train that goes to Narita Airport. It's possible to cut the journey time by 10 minutes if you are willing to change trains but I suggest that you keep things simple .If you're on that train you will make it to NRT with time to spare.

Last edited by jib71; Nov 22, 2023 at 12:05 am
Old Nov 26, 2023, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just arrived from sort-of-the-US in to Narita. And I am happy to report that connecting passengers were sent directly the departures area without the need for transit security check.

That makes both Haneda and Narita arrivals where that was the case.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:28 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
CPH - I guess that only applies to connecting passengers who arrive from the US or US territories? Connecting passengers who arrive from non-US airports must still pass a transit security check, right?
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
CPH - I guess that only applies to connecting passengers who arrive from the US or US territories? Connecting passengers who arrive from non-US airports must still pass a transit security check, right?
Yes, basically only US arrivals. When I write "sort of" US, it was Guam.
jib71 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Friday evening transit in HND (Intl to Dom)

My JL flight arrives from the US around 5PM, connecting to a JL domestic flight 1h50m later. Do I have enough time to clear immigration & customs and make my flight? I do have checked luggage, and I am in J if that makes any difference.

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by allset2travel
My JL flight arrives from the US around 5PM, connecting to a JL domestic flight 1h50m later. Do I have enough time to clear immigration & customs and make my flight? I do have checked luggage, and I am in J if that makes any difference.

Thank you in advance.
Hi,

1 ticket or 2?
I'm not sure for I-D MCT at HND.
It should be doable if the first flight is on time ( J will have expedited baggage delivery)
I had a 2.5 hour connection in may ( arrival from LHR at 1720 but was 1745 on stand due to a long approach into HND, flying from the south of HND to NRT then landing from the west at HNd). I was in F and had a long walk to immigration ( no queues) F bags were off first and I was in J domestic lounge by about 1850 ( i took my tagged bags to the domestic check in transfer desk at HND T3 after customs) then got the free transfer paper from the info desk then took the monorail to JAL T1
Domestic boarding was about 1930 for a 1950 departure ( B 767 to hiroshima)

Regards

TBS
will be arriving in HND Sat am for a week in tokyo
allset2travel likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

1 ticket or 2?
I'm not sure for I-D MCT at HND.
It should be doable if the first flight is on time ( J will have expedited baggage delivery)
I had a 2.5 hour connection in may ( arrival from LHR at 1720 but was 1745 on stand due to a long approach into HND, flying from the south of HND to NRT then landing from the west at HNd). I was in F and had a long walk to immigration ( no queues) F bags were off first and I was in J domestic lounge by about 1850 ( i took my tagged bags to the domestic check in transfer desk at HND T3 after customs) then got the free transfer paper from the info desk then took the monorail to JAL T1
Domestic boarding was about 1930 for a 1950 departure ( B 767 to hiroshima)

Regards

TBS
will be arriving in HND Sat am for a week in tokyo
Hi TBS,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I will travel on 1 PNR.
Online, some suggest min connect at HND was 70 minutes. The unknown to me is "how much time to get through immigration & customs at that time on Friday?" My luggage will be tagged with Priority.

Last Dec, my international arrival (about 8PM-ish) at HND met with more than 1 hour queue at Immigration alone!

Obviously you didn't have time for the lounge!

Good to know that you are returning to Tokyo on Sat. I am sure you will have a great time!
I won't be there until mid Feb (just in the prelim planning stage now). I need to get my sashimi & ramen fix
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
allset2travel,

You shouldn't have any issues making your connection, worst case is that you'll be put on the next flight out to wherever you're going to. If there's any issue with your connection there will likely be a JAL representative waiting for you at the gate on arrival. Depending on your final destination you likely won't need to wait more than an hour or so for the next flight from HND.
My experience lately has been the longest part of getting into Japan has been waiting for the bags to arrive. At 5pm it's been 40 minutes from plane to leaving Customs, so that should give you plenty of time to hit the bag drop and head to domestic security.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Hi TBS,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I will travel on 1 PNR.
Online, some suggest min connect at HND was 70 minutes. The unknown to me is "how much time to get through immigration & customs at that time on Friday?" My luggage will be tagged with Priority.

Last Dec, my international arrival (about 8PM-ish) at HND met with more than 1 hour queue at Immigration alone!

Obviously you didn't have time for the lounge!

Good to know that you are returning to Tokyo on Sat. I am sure you will have a great time!
I won't be there until mid Feb (just in the prelim planning stage now). I need to get my sashimi & ramen fix
Don't worry about missing the lounge in the domestic terminal. It is not something to hanker for, a pleasant enough space to spend time of you have excess time in the terminal but not something to plan with time to visit.
TBS had 30 to 40 minutes in the lounge, plenty of time so see everything....
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:33 am

Programs: EB Diamond (SK*G), Accor Platinum
Baggage catastrophe INTL-DOME-INTL

Hi All,

I have a terrible award ticket which departs from SEL and arrives in KIX, and KIX to HND next day, and HND to CPH on the same next say. This means my domestic connection (KIX to HND) is overnight and as you all know Intl-domestic connection requires baggage re check.

SEL will give me the tag all the way to CPH but KIX may not receive my bags there since my next flight is not on the same day? ANA website has the information for through check in that it is only possible when the connection is in the same day but here the problem is I can print the tags to my final destination but still needs to deal with this Japanese domestic re checking thing.

I tried to find correct information but the cases like mine seem so rare (seems like an idiot ticket having one hop inside Japan to go somewhere else…).

Do you guys think the japanese agents will accept my baggages upon my arrival or do I need to have them for one day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.