FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:13 am
soy

Programs: various
Thanks to everyone for the input. Any tips to accelerate getting through immigration?

It seems Visit Japan Website is no longer 'required' but does it accelerate entry, perhaps through a dedicated line?
For customs, I read an article that suggested doing the electronic form AND paper form the select which to use based on the lines at customs. Is this still valid or was it covid era advice?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by soy
Thanks to everyone for the input. Any tips to accelerate getting through immigration?

It seems Visit Japan Website is no longer 'required' but does it accelerate entry, perhaps through a dedicated line?
For customs, I read an article that suggested doing the electronic form AND paper form the select which to use based on the lines at customs. Is this still valid or was it covid era advice?
I have not recently been through where the electronic customs declaration was not the fastest line. But I generally still do both....
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm considering booking a ticket from Sapporo to Osaka via ANA departing early a.m. the goal is to head to yakushima island via Japan air from Itami airport, but the only flight available has just a one hour connection window. Since they're different airline I'm nervous about making the connection. Has anyone done similar or can advise if one hour is enough (no checked luggage).
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Anlun
Hi all,

I'm considering booking a ticket from Sapporo to Osaka via ANA departing early a.m. the goal is to head to yakushima island via Japan air from Itami airport, but the only flight available has just a one hour connection window. Since they're different airline I'm nervous about making the connection. Has anyone done similar or can advise if one hour is enough (no checked luggage).
Minimum connection time at ITM (Osaka Itami airport) from ANA to JAL is 30 min. If your flight from Sapporo is on time, then there should be no problem. If you want little more cushion on connection, then there is another option (I do not know your travel date so basing on current schedule):

ANA 4812 (operated by AirDo)
Sapporo (CTS) 8:30 a.m.
Fukuoka (FUK) 10:55 a.m.

JAL 3679 (operated by JAC)
Fukuoka (FUK) 12:50 noon
Yakushima (KUM) 2:00 p.m.
nishimark likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott
Hi all, wanted to check with everyone if this is too short for a connection at HND.

On ANA I am doing TSA > HND > ITM, I just noticed on the email receipt of the booking that it only has a 90 min connection time...
It's also the last flight of the day to ITM and I also will have checked bags and from what I understand I will have to retrieve them and re-check them.

Is this even possible to make? It seems to meet ANA's minimum connection time but now thinking about it I think it might be too tight

It's also not clear from the the Haneda site if the transfer desk will be open to check the bags at drop off at terminal 3 at that time (If I could even make the cut off?)
Old Jul 18, 2023, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Minimum connection time at ITM (Osaka Itami airport) from ANA to JAL is 30 min. If your flight from Sapporo is on time, then there should be no problem. If you want little more cushion on connection, then there is another option (I do not know your travel date so basing on current schedule):

ANA 4812 (operated by AirDo)
Sapporo (CTS) 8:30 a.m.
Fukuoka (FUK) 10:55 a.m.

JAL 3679 (operated by JAC)
Fukuoka (FUK) 12:50 noon
Yakushima (KUM) 2:00 p.m.
Thanks! Yeah I saw that was an option as well but trying to use points for ANA flight and the Fukuoka leg isn't showing up so we preferred the Osaka flight.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 4:59 pm

Hi,
I am going to bring my mom, in her 70s to visit Japan. It will be our first time.
If I fly from JFK to Osaka, i have to change flight in Tokyo, there is no direct flight. The layover is under 2 hours. Is that enough time when one has to go through immigration? and do i have to pick up my luggage to go through immigration or I can pick up my luggage at ITM airport.
Since she is old and after such a long flight I was thinking of visiting Tokyo first take the bullet train to Kyoto and then fly out of kyoto/ITM back to Jfk.
Since I want to use my mileages, the available award return flight to NYC is flying out of Tokyo, so now I am thinking of going to Kyoto first. Another option is doing a sandwich trip, stay in Tokyo first go to Kyoto and then go back to Tokyo.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: JMB
We plan a trip to Kyoto/Osaka for a few days. The old (pre-war) option FRA-NRT-ITM is no longer valid as the connection time seems to be to short.
Moving to HND sounds like a bad idea. So I had thought about FRA-NRT-NGO. It is a 1,5h connection at Narita Airport. Is this really enough time as you have to immigration, get the checked baggage, go to the customs and pass security and everything else again?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Naiwenzh
Hi,
I am going to bring my mom, in her 70s to visit Japan. It will be our first time.
If I fly from JFK to Osaka, i have to change flight in Tokyo, there is no direct flight. The layover is under 2 hours. Is that enough time when one has to go through immigration? and do i have to pick up my luggage to go through immigration or I can pick up my luggage at ITM airport.
Since she is old and after such a long flight I was thinking of visiting Tokyo first take the bullet train to Kyoto and then fly out of kyoto/ITM back to Jfk.
Since I want to use my mileages, the available award return flight to NYC is flying out of Tokyo, so now I am thinking of going to Kyoto first. Another option is doing a sandwich trip, stay in Tokyo first go to Kyoto and then go back to Tokyo.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Under two hours, while a legal connection, will be very rushed. I would suggest a later flight, or stay a night or two in Tokyo and take the Shinkansen.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 21, 2023 at 3:58 pm
Old Jul 21, 2023, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seyan
We plan a trip to Kyoto/Osaka for a few days. The old (pre-war) option FRA-NRT-ITM is no longer valid as the connection time seems to be to short.
Moving to HND sounds like a bad idea. So I had thought about FRA-NRT-NGO. It is a 1,5h connection at Narita Airport. Is this really enough time as you have to immigration, get the checked baggage, go to the customs and pass security and everything else again?
Moving to Haneda gives far more domestic options. If you are on LH and the connection became below MCT in NRT, try to get them to move you to FRA KIX.

NGO might work. But, while Nagoya is only 30 minutes or so on the Shinkansen to Kyoto. It gets to be 1h22m as shortest option from Chubu Airport. There might be a point to a flight to Haneda and the Shinkansen from Shinagawa if no domestic flights match the schedule.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 1:24 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Moving to Haneda gives far more domestic options. If you are on LH and the connection became below MCT in NRT, try to get them to move you to FRA KIX.

NGO might work. But, while Nagoya is only 30 minutes or so on the Shinkansen to Kyoto. It gets to be 1h22m as shortest option from Chubu Airport. There might be a point to a flight to Haneda and the Shinkansen from Shinagawa if no domestic flights match the schedule.
Thanks for your advice. The main thing is: my wife wants to fly in the evening so we also arrive in the evening and she can get so sleep soon (she cannot sleep well in an airplane). So JAL is the preferred airline here.

But after checking all the different options we decided a connecting flight after entering Japan is no good idea (as you have to get all your baggage for customs and checking in again). We will fly FRA-NRT and NGO-NRT-FRA when leaving Japan (so we can check-in the baggage at NGO with no problems and just doing security at Narita).
The only thing left is when to buy the tickets
Naiwenzh likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Seyan
Thanks for your advice. The main thing is: my wife wants to fly in the evening so we also arrive in the evening and she can get so sleep soon (she cannot sleep well in an airplane). So JAL is the preferred airline here.

But after checking all the different options we decided a connecting flight after entering Japan is no good idea (as you have to get all your baggage for customs and checking in again). We will fly FRA-NRT and NGO-NRT-FRA when leaving Japan (so we can check-in the baggage at NGO with no problems and just doing security at Narita).
The only thing left is when to buy the tickets
I am in a similar situation too. Want to take my mom ( in her 70's) to Japan. I want to do Kyoto first and then Tokyo, since that is where I want to to do the shopping. Like you if I do Kyoto I have to transfer in Tokyo which meant I have to get the luggage, go through custom and recheck all the luggage again before jumping to another flight. I think it will be too tiresome to drag my mom for the transfer
So I going to flying from NYC to HND and stay a few days then take the bullet train to Kyoto and fly out from Osaka airport to Tokyo to NYC. Just want to confirm I don't have to collect and check in my baggage at Tokyo? Just security and immigration at Tokyo?
Old Jul 24, 2023, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am in a similar situation too. Want to take my mom ( in her 70's) to Japan. I want to do Kyoto first and then Tokyo, since that is where I want to to do the shopping. Like you if I do Kyoto I have to transfer in Tokyo which meant I have to get the luggage, go through custom and recheck all the luggage again before jumping to another flight. I think it will be too tiresome to drag my mom for the transfer
So I going to flying from NYC to HND and stay a few days then take the bullet train to Kyoto and fly out from Osaka airport to Tokyo to NYC. Just want to confirm I don't have to collect and check in my baggage at Tokyo? Just security and immigration at Tokyo?
If transferring from a international to a domestic flight in Tokyo, you need to reclaim luggage and take it through customs. Most of the day there is a domestic bag drop in T3, but you need to reach the transfer counter at least 60 minutes before departure, otherwise you need to bring the luggage to the domestic terminal, cut of time is just to scan your boarding pass at security 20 minutes before departure.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
fly out from Osaka airport to Tokyo to NYC. Just want to confirm I don't have to collect and check in my baggage at Tokyo? Just security and immigration at Tokyo?
It depends what you mean by Osaka to Tokyo to NYC and with which airlines you propose to make the trip.
If you fly ITM -> HND -> NYC on JAL, then sure ... JAL will transfer your bags at HND and you won't have to touch them until you reach NYC.
If you fly KIX -> NRT -> Ground transport -> HND -> NYC, then you will have a very laborious connection for which you will be carrying all your luggage.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta
ANA or JAL, the only two airlines at Itami, will check your bags all the way through to the final destination. Many more flights to HND, so makes sense to make final departure from there. Another nice thing about ITM is that it's a small, convenient airport. No need to get there more than an hour or so before departure to check in to the flight. There are several limousine bus routes to ITM from the general area (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, etc.).
https://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/route/itm/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.