FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by Naiwenzh
I am in a similar situation too. Want to take my mom ( in her 70's) to Japan. I want to do Kyoto first and then Tokyo, since that is where I want to to do the shopping. Like you if I do Kyoto I have to transfer in Tokyo which meant I have to get the luggage, go through custom and recheck all the luggage again before jumping to another flight. I think it will be too tiresome to drag my mom for the transfer
So I going to flying from NYC to HND and stay a few days then take the bullet train to Kyoto and fly out from Osaka airport to Tokyo to NYC. Just want to confirm I don't have to collect and check in my baggage at Tokyo? Just security and immigration at Tokyo?
There are two problems I identified during my plans...
1) When switching from international flight to domestic, you need to get your baggage for customs
2) You need to find a domestic flight that is departing from the same airport

Therefore we decided to end our iteration at Tokyo and start our travel in Tokyo instead of ending it there. Switching from a domestic to an international flight is much easier if you found a connection without airport change because you can check the baggage until your final destination (except you travel to a country that has the same rules like Japan) and just have to pass security when connecting.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
Trying to figure out how to best make this work. All flights are on the same day:

1) International arrival into HND at 2:55pm on JL (F)
2) ???
3) International departure out of FUK at 8:35pm on CI (J)

So I need to make an international-domestic transit at HND, fly to FUK, and then make a domestic-international transit at FUK. My options are:

2A: NH flight leaving HND 4:25pm, arriving FUK 6:20pm
2B: JL flight leaving HND 5pm, arriving FUK 7pm
Old Jul 25, 2023, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Trying to figure out how to best make this work. All flights are on the same day:

1) International arrival into HND at 2:55pm on JL (F)
2) ???
3) International departure out of FUK at 8:35pm on CI (J)

So I need to make an international-domestic transit at HND, fly to FUK, and then make a domestic-international transit at FUK. My options are:

2A: NH flight leaving HND 4:25pm, arriving FUK 6:20pm
2B: JL flight leaving HND 5pm, arriving FUK 7pm
1H 30M is not a lot for an international to domestic transfer in Haneda. It can be done, but can become quite rushed.

1H 35M is not much better from domestic to international, as the terminals are on either side of the run way. I guess it depends on the ability to get a boarding pass in advance from CI.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:27 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Keep in mind that shipping luggage is an option in Japan. You can pick up a suitcase at NRT or HND, walk it over to the takkyubin counter in the arrivals hall, and pay 2-4,000 yen to have it sent directly to just about anywhere in Japan with second-day arrival (maybe three days if it's going somewhere very remote). Or when departing Japan, have your hotel ship luggage directly to your departure airport, or drop it off at any convenience store, 2-3 days before departure. Then you just have to live out of your carry-on for a couple of nights while the large items are in transit.

Originally Posted by jib71
It depends what you mean by Osaka to Tokyo to NYC and with which airlines you propose to make the trip.
If you fly ITM -> HND -> NYC on JAL, then sure ... JAL will transfer your bags at HND and you won't have to touch them until you reach NYC.
If you fly KIX -> NRT -> Ground transport -> HND -> NYC, then you will have a very laborious connection for which you will be carrying all your luggage.
Originally Posted by Seyan
There are two problems I identified during my plans...
1) When switching from international flight to domestic, you need to get your baggage for customs
2) You need to find a domestic flight that is departing from the same airport
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:51 am

I've read through recent posts and just wanted to confirm my understanding.
I have an upcoming flight booked for SIN->HND->ITM on JAL with 100 minute connection time (tight I know). As this is all on a single PNR, and I think it is the first HND->ITM flight of the day (730am), can I say that there is basically no risk for me with keeping this?
If I am able to make the connection, then all good no issue. If I missed the connection, JAL will rebook me on the next available flight(s) since it is a single PNL.
Is my reasoning above sound?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by eyja
I've read through recent posts and just wanted to confirm my understanding.
I have an upcoming flight booked for SIN->HND->ITM on JAL with 100 minute connection time (tight I know). As this is all on a single PNR, and I think it is the first HND->ITM flight of the day (730am), can I say that there is basically no risk for me with keeping this?
If I am able to make the connection, then all good no issue. If I missed the connection, JAL will rebook me on the next available flight(s) since it is a single PNL.
Is my reasoning above sound?
Yes, you will get rebooked to a later flight if you miss your connection.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:03 pm

In early October I'm headed from GUM-FUK-BKK with a short layover in FUK (a little over an hour). Will I need to clear customs and immigration in FUK given that I'm only using it as a transit point to get to BKK? Or can I just walk off the first flight directly to the connecting gate?

I'm also doing United from GUM-FUK then Thai from FUK-BKK, so there shouldn't be an issue with checking bags all the way through to BKK, correct?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alenguy
In early October I'm headed from GUM-FUK-BKK with a short layover in FUK (a little over an hour). Will I need to clear customs and immigration in FUK given that I'm only using it as a transit point to get to BKK? Or can I just walk off the first flight directly to the connecting gate?

I'm also doing United from GUM-FUK then Thai from FUK-BKK, so there shouldn't be an issue with checking bags all the way through to BKK, correct?
As long as United can check your luggage through to Thai, you will not need to enter Japan.

United can check through on a single ticket, and generally to Star Alliance partners. If not a single ticket, make sure to have your Thai e-ticket printed, and don't come last second for check in, as it may take a bit of time.
alenguy likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As long as United can check your luggage through to Thai, you will not need to enter Japan.

United can check through on a single ticket, and generally to Star Alliance partners. If not a single ticket, make sure to have your Thai e-ticket printed, and don't come last second for check in, as it may take a bit of time.
Thanks for the quick response! It is a singe ticket so I'm hopeful that United can check all the way through to BKK. It's a relief to know that I can just go gate-to-gate in FUK without the hassle of customs and immigration formalities.

Last question (for now) - Any recommendations on a lounge to visit in FUK if we have the time? We're in business and I'm United 1K with Priority Pass if any of that makes a difference.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 5:17 pm

Fukuoka 6-Hour Layover Advice Requested

In October, my wife and I are flying KUM-FUK arriving 13:50 and then FUK-MNL departing 19:30 on the same day (separate tickets/different airlines). We will have already stayed three days in Fukuoka during the previous week to start our Kyushu trip. I know that we will have to transfer from the domestic terminal to the international terminal, but that seems to be quick and easy via the shuttle bus.

We will have a few extra hours for a nice lunch either at one of the airport terminals or near Hakata Station. Any recommendations or other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by majortom421
In October, my wife and I are flying KUM-FUK arriving 13:50 and then FUK-MNL departing 19:30 on the same day (separate tickets/different airlines). We will have already stayed three days in Fukuoka during the previous week to start our Kyushu trip. I know that we will have to transfer from the domestic terminal to the international terminal, but that seems to be quick and easy via the shuttle bus.

We will have a few extra hours for a nice lunch either at one of the airport terminals or near Hakata Station. Any recommendations or other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I don't know if you can check your luggage through, as you don't mention the specific airlines, but you might have to find storage for your luggage along the way.

Land side in the domestic terminal there is a ramen street which has some pretty good options. The subway goes directly from the airport to the city center, and once you have been there for three days, you probably have a few favourites you might want to revisit.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Wanted to get feedback if this is doable (separate itineraries w/checked luggage) -
arriving LAX to HND (OW priority luggage tags) via AA - 5AM
departing HND to CTS (* silver status) via ANA - 7AM
Old Aug 26, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by araknis
Wanted to get feedback if this is doable (separate itineraries w/checked luggage) -
arriving LAX to HND (OW priority luggage tags) via AA - 5AM
departing HND to CTS (* silver status) via ANA - 7AM
The minimum connection time for Haneda I -> D is listed at 70 mins so it is doable...but if your incoming flight is delayed for any reason then you are screwed
Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:04 pm

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ing/AA/169/LAX

Obviously past performance doesn't guarantee future performance, and that outlier (max45min) means you may or may not make it

Even if ANA domestic bag drop cutoff time is 20min - your silver doesn't mean anything, can't use the priority bag drop line

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 27, 2023 at 4:13 am
Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ing/AA/169/LAX

Obviously past performance doesn't guarantee future performance, and that outlier (max45min) means you may or may not make it

Even if ANA domestic bag drop cutoff time is 20min - your silver doesn't mean anything, can't use the priority bag drop line
It is not bag drop that's 20 minutes, it is scanning your boarding pass at security that needs to happen 20 minutes before departure.
uanj and paperwastage like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.