FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread
Old Jan 27, 2021, 6:37 pm
eccentricfusion

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
You may want to check the new CDC order went into effect on Jan. 26, which this applies to the U.S. citizens also.

If you do not have a negative COVID-19 test results within 72 hrs. of departure from Bangkok and your final destination is the U.S. then the airline may deny you boarding at Bangkok. This is not Japan related so don't want to go off topic on Japan forum, but if you look around other forums on FlyerTalk there are reports of passengers denied boarding. One example at America Airline forum, a passenger had a ticket booked Country A - U.S.A. - Country B, where Country B required negative COVID-19 test results. The passenger was planning to get rapid COVID-19 test during a transit at the U.S. since the passenger was the U.S. citizen or a green card holder. American Airlines at Country A denied this passenger boarding because the destination is Country B but the passenger did not have negative COVID-19 test result which required for an entry to Country B.
I know, that is why I'm getting a COVID test prior to leaving Bangkok. The issue is avoiding quarantine upon arrival to Honolulu. Currently, Hawaii only accepts negative tests from their "trusted partners" - none of which are located in Thailand. I was trying to get another COVID test from a trusted partner (there are trusted testing partners in NRT and HND) but I wasn't sure if I could do it in transit. I don't mind getting tested twice, once before, once in transit, but it doesn't look like that is an option due to where the testing sites are in the terminals (all land side?). I could quarantine in Honolulu with little issue since I work remotely anyway and can get groceries delivered if needed at home, but if I can avoid a quarantine completely so I can go for walks outside still, that would be ideal.