Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chichow
This is a really long thread. I can't tell from the last year refund attempt. Did people attempt to refund through their credit card despite what CoSport said and then got back their full amount instead of the Co Sport we will give you back the ticket price minus the handling fees?
Originally Posted by YariGuy
We had to get the credit card company (Chase) involved to get a refund from Cosport.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
And lucky you, you get to use them, without the venue smelling of meat.
That remains to be seen , I will certainly FaceTime you and Mrs. Pickles should we get to go.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
That remains to be seen , I will certainly FaceTime you and Mrs. Pickles should we get to go.
There's a thought. Put a camera in the seats that were purchased and allow the purchaser to watch the event streaming in real time. You can promote social distancing at the events, and best of all, you don't have to refund the tickets!

You can even charge an extra fee to have an effegy of yourself placed in the seat and receive a 5x7 glossy of yourself "at" the Olympics!
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Im a new user
Weird. I had thought that they would say that you are free to attend the games, but that complying with Japanese entry requirements is your problem and that no refund will be given should you happen to no-show.
Can’t tell if youre being entirely or partially facetious.

Giving back money for product your customers paid for but cannot use for absolutely no fault of their own seems no brainer to me. No matter what the fine print says. It’s bad enough that you’re only getting back 80% or something. NBA issued fill refunds. I would think concert events did the same. Why not the Olympics.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I would take the Co Sport message with large grains of salt. If it were me, I would give them a little bit of time, then put on the pressure to get a refund. If no refund, then go the credit card route.

Co Sport deserves no sympathy - they're a business, and they should have the reserves to pay back what's not theirs. If they have to go into debt or borrow, so be it. You shouldn't be the one loaning them your money. They have a monopoly in multiple countries distributing Olympics tickets and have reaped those benefits for years. They have collected extra margin by bundling tickets with unwanted, super expensive hotels and other "add-ons."
nnn, evergrn and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://japantoday.com/category/poli...-weak-standing

"Even as it means inflicting big damage on inbound tourism, Suga's government decided not to let in spectators from overseas to prevent people from saying that coronavirus infections increased because of the government's lack of policies," said Hitoshi Komiya, a professor of modern Japanese political history at Aoyama Gakuin University."
Old Mar 21, 2021, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
"Even as it means inflicting big damage on inbound tourism, Suga's government decided not to let in spectators from overseas to prevent people from saying that coronavirus infections increased because of the government's lack of policies," said Hitoshi Komiya, a professor of modern Japanese political history at Aoyama Gakuin University."
Sugas just another crusty bureaucrat. He’s done nothing to distinguish himself or inspire confidence other than holding up the reiwa sign.

Japanese spectators only is a mistake the more I think about it. Such bad optics, bad symbolism given that it opposes the concept of Olympics bringing the world together and reminds of Jpn’s history of isolationism. I wish they would just make it no spectators period... that sounds better than Japanese spectators only.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
Sugas just another crusty bureaucrat. He’s done nothing to distinguish himself or inspire confidence other than holding up the reiwa sign.

Japanese spectators only is a mistake the more I think about it. Such bad optics, bad symbolism given that it opposes the concept of Olympics bringing the world together and reminds of Jpn’s history of isolationism. I wish they would just make it no spectators period... that sounds better than Japanese spectators only.
It's not about optics. They don't have the luxury to worry about such optics. It's about the economy. In that regard, local spectators, that buy tickets and later go out and spend money, are better than no spectators.

And everything else here already has spectators anyway. Baseball games, sumo matches, wrestling shows, Takarazuka (a RIZIN show is going on as I type this). Would seem strange to not have them at the Olympics that they've spent so much money on.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I, for one, hope this puts yet another nail in the coffin of the modern Olympics. The concept of the Olympics as an amateur only competition every four years with games in the same year has lost out long ago to a corrupt money extracting operation.
LETTERBOY and 5khours like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I don't know enough about the economics of hosting the Olympics, but I would guess a major component of that would be the economic benefit of a large influx of international visitors. If those are now banned, why is there such a pressure to hold the games in 2021, as opposed to 2022 when I would guess there is a high likelihood of international travel being possible, if not close to normal?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't know enough about the economics of hosting the Olympics, but I would guess a major component of that would be the economic benefit of a large influx of international visitors. If those are now banned, why is there such a pressure to hold the games in 2021, as opposed to 2022 when I would guess there is a high likelihood of international travel being possible, if not close to normal?
You realize the Olympic games are largely held for the competing athletes, and not the sole benefit of the Japanese government, right?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by invalyd
You realize the Olympic games are largely held for the competing athletes, and not the sole benefit of the Japanese government, right?
So that's why there's such fierce competition among cities and nations to host the games - out of their altruistic concern over the athletes?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
So that's why there's such fierce competition among cities and nations to host the games - out of their altruistic concern over the athletes?
You're clearly oblivious to the fact that there are non-economic reasons to not delay the games again. Not to mention the fact that another delay would likely cost more than any potential tourism revenue might offset.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Official cost to host delayed Olympics up 22% percent

The billions of dollars in overseas tourism is likely more than offset by the cost of delaying the Games yet again, as well as the inconvenience of doing so. Hindsight being 20/20, they should have just delayed directly to 2022, but too late to change that now.
invalyd likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by invalyd
ROFL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.