Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn

There're 2 boxes that you can check. If I want the refund going back to the original card of payment, do I check both boxes or just the second one? It seems like everyone must sign the top box, but it's confusing.

Also, there are two different columns where you sign and print your name. One is under "for and on behalf of Cosport," the other is under "for and on behalf of account name." Which one are you supposed to sign under?
I checked both boxes (the 1st is the confirm you are cancelling your tickets and the 2nd is to confirm the credit card used to purchase the tickets is still active so it can be refunded to that card. If you used a card that you have since closed, you should NOT check the second box and they will issue the refund a different way after they take care of the refunds going back to the cards).

And you should sign "for and on behalf of account name" using whatever name is on your reservations.

I already got a response from them saying they received my form and I should get notification that the request has been processed is 45-60 business days.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 23, 2020, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by kimmcarr
I checked both boxes (the 1st is the confirm you are cancelling your tickets and the 2nd is to confirm the credit card used to purchase the tickets is still active so it can be refunded to that card. If you used a card that you have since closed, you should NOT check the second box and they will issue the refund a different way after they take care of the refunds going back to the cards).

And you should sign "for and on behalf of account name" using whatever name is on your reservations.

I already got a response from them saying they received my form and I should get notification that the request has been processed is 45-60 business days.

Hope that helps!
Got it, thank you!
I will do exactly as you did then.
Thanks again!
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:27 pm

Looks like they're going ahead with Summer 2021 regardless of COVID status
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200907_40/
nnn likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
Looks like they're going ahead with Summer 2021 regardless of COVID status
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200907_40/
If they are going to go ahead with it next year, from our point of view - which revolves around the health of my father-in-law - the summer would be the least bad time as he, and many other elderly Tokyo residents, tend to stay at home under an A/C unit to avoid heatstroke.

However, I still have no idea what will happen this year once Autumn finally arrives and the weather cools down enough to release the Summer’s sheltered population.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, glad I haven't asked for a refund on my tickets yet...

On the other hand, it's not worth getting COVID over an Olympic baseball and basketball game.....

Further to add, maybe there will be a few more choice events that will now become available and hotels will be easier to book......

Further, further to add: I should also update my will.....
Old Sep 14, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Further to add, maybe there will be a few more choice events that will now become available and hotels will be easier to book......
I hope so. I was never going to be able to attend the original dates, because of work, but I might be able to attend next year. I hope it will be possible to purchase tickets for next year, for those who did not have tickets before.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:06 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Does anyone have suggestions on hotels? Apologies as I have not read this entire thread. Looking now, it seems most hotels are sold out. Does that change closer to the date in folks best experience?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Does anyone have suggestions on hotels? Apologies as I have not read this entire thread. Looking now, it seems most hotels are sold out. Does that change closer to the date in folks best experience?
Nobody has experience with a delayed Olympics.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Most Japanese hotels do not make inventory available 9 or 10 months out. I'd keep trying at 8 months, 7 months, 6 months and so on. As mentioned above, nobody knows what to expect with a delayed Olympics, including when rooms will be bookable.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:05 pm

It actually doesn't seem too bad when I do a search. If you're like me and experienced the difficulty of booking hotels for summer 2020 Olympics, then you'll realize that the hotel situation in summer 2021 is far different. Far more availability.
I just searched a random 3-night stay the first week of August on Rakuten. All sorts of availability. Problem is a lot of the hotels are offering only no-refund bookings, but there're still some hotels offering refundable bookings. Around this time last year, hardly anything was available for mid-July through mid-Aug in Tokyo, and what little that was available was all nonrefundable AND with serious price gouging. But for next July, I was already able to secure my Conrad stay.
nnn likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Japanese story (NHK) about the timing for refunds being offered:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202..._news-main_005

It says they expect to begin from November 10th and will last for twenty days.

I believe this is for tickets purchased within Japan, but may also effect the timing of refunds for tickets purchased from overseas as well.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any reactions to the decision to hold the Tokyo Olympics in 2021?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How about *shrug*?

Insisting in 2020 that you'll host the Olympics in 2021 is like insisting in 2019 that you'll host the Olympics in 2020.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think it will happen because countries now seemingly know how to hold sporting events while accounting for the virus. My bigger concern is whether spectators from other countries will be allowed and what those requirements/restrictions will be. With a city as crowded as Tokyo I am not sure how you can handle all those people even without Covid. Booked refundable housing until things get clearer.

I have also heard about the temperature in Tokyo during that time of year, not sure I won’t be miserable in a high filtration mask.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...f-thomas-bach/

That the IOC head felt compelled to publicly state there won't be mandatory vaccination for athletes makes me wonder if there's such a requirement forthcoming for visitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.