Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2020, 5:49 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
We still hope to attend and will likely hold our tickets. But I'm wondering what happens if the tickets cannot be honored when the Games roll around, such as if spectators are disallowed/limited. I would like some assurance that they will provide a refund at that time, but I have not seen anything on that yet.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:47 pm

Okay, as mentioned above, the 2021 Olympics schedule has now been announced. Let the refund request begin!

Originally Posted by kimmcarr
But the actual schedule has now been announced and posted on the official Tokyo 2020 site, so I again have emailed them saying the event schedule is posted, please refund. We'll see...
If possible, can you please report back with how Cosport responds? Specifically, whether they intend to refund the handling fees.
I'm going to just think things through first, but I'm 90% certain I will be requesting refund myself within the next week.

Originally Posted by nnn
We still hope to attend and will likely hold our tickets. But I'm wondering what happens if the tickets cannot be honored when the Games roll around, such as if spectators are disallowed/limited. I would like some assurance that they will provide a refund at that time, but I have not seen anything on that yet.
This is a decision we each have to make. But based on my impression of Cosport and knowing how Japanese gov't/organizations are with refund policies (no entry fee refunds for the cancelled Tokyo Marathon, no compensation by government for cancellation fees incurred by rescinding Tokyo residents' eligibility to take part in GoTo travel incentive), I have no faith that they will do the right thing with everyone in the case of Olympic cancellation which now seems more likely than not. I personally am not missing a chance to get my money back.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Since I can't read Japanese, Mrs. Taiwaned went to the Olympic ticket website to request a refund. It said that we will be able to apply for a refund in the fall. The decision to refund was just made on July 13, 2020. No set definitive date was given.

I know that if they do not offer a refund,, one of my Japanese friends, who managed to "win" the privilege to purchase tickets for the opening ceremony will be out a lot of money. There will be many Japanese people very upset if there were a punitive refund policy.

Last edited by Taiwaned; Jul 18, 2020 at 4:28 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:44 pm

Our money’s probably already been spent and they’d have to come up with funds to issue all the refund.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
My yearly diary stated "Tokyo Olympic Opening Ceremony" the other day. Super disappointing.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Only 23.9% in Japan back Tokyo Olympics next summer: poll

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Only 23.9 percent of the Japanese public think next summer's Tokyo Olympics should be held as scheduled, a Kyodo News survey showed Sunday.

As the world has been hit by the coronavirus pandemic, it found that 36.4 percent of respondents to the three-day survey from Friday think that the Olympics should be postponed again, while 33.7 percent said the games should be canceled.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Human rights report reveals abuse of athletes

IOC says that abuse of any kind is contrary to the values of Olympism, which calls for respect for everyone in sport.

Human Rights Watch criticises Japan after report reveals abuse of athletes
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...e_iOSApp_Other
Old Jul 20, 2020, 10:57 am
nnn

Received an email from CoSport today that refund requests must be submitted by EOB July 31, 2020. Still trying to figure out what would happen if I keep my tickets but the tickets end up not being honored.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:48 am

[QUOTE=evergrn;32539955]Okay, as mentioned above, the 2021 Olympics schedule has now been announced. Let the refund request begin!

If possible, can you please report back with how Cosport responds? Specifically, whether they intend to refund the handling fees.
I'm going to just think things through first, but I'm 90% certain I will be requesting refund myself within the next week.

I never heard back from CoSport to my email last week when the schedule was announced, but, I'm sure just like you, I received an update email from CoSport with instructions on the "refunds" offered if you cannot attend in 2021. You can get a credit (useless to me) or a refund to your credit card in 45-50 days in accordance of the T&C. However, I had a difficult time figuring out the exact refund policy in the T&C as it mostly says no refunds. But there are special sections relating to this specific postponement:Special Circumstances due to Tokyo 2020 Postponement:

THE COMPANY will continue to consider that you can use the tickets you have already purchased as a rule for purchases made prior to April 1, 2020, For all Ticket purchases, within 30 days of the official competition schedule being published by TOCOG as a result of postponement, if the client’s place cannot be secured for the new date due to changes in schedule and/or venue, THE COMPANY will offer you the following purchase return options:

1. Receive CoSport credit of the full value of your ticket purchase/s and apply it to future Games, such as Tokyo 2020 or Beijing 2022 where CoSport is already preparing to offer new inclusive packages.

2. Refund your credit card account commencing in the next 45–60 business days, in accordance with TOCOG’s guidance and the Terms & Conditions outlined under “Competition Schedule Changes / Cancellation(s)”, as agreed when you purchased the tickets. The refund shall not exceed the face value of the Ticket.

OR if you bought packages:

Special Circumstances due to Tokyo 2020 Postponement:

THE COMPANY will continue to consider that you can use the package you have already purchased as a rule for purchases made prior to April 1, 2020. For Package(s) purchases prior to April 1, 2020, purchasers have until June 15, 2020 to declare the chosen option to return Package(s) in the event you are unable to travel to Tokyo in 2021. For all Package purchases, within 30 days of the official competition schedule being published by TOCOG as a result of postponement, if the client’s place cannot be secured for the new date due to changes in schedule and/or venue, THE COMPANY will offer you the following purchase return options:

1. Receive CoSport credit of the full value of your package and apply it to future Games, such as Tokyo 2020 or Beijing 2022 where CoSport is already preparing to offer new inclusive packages.

2. Resell your package through CoSport so you are refunded 95% of its full value once it is purchased by a new Tokyo customer after June 8, 2020, when package sales recommence. Should your package remain unsold by January 15, 2021, CoSport will refund you 75% of its value.

3. Return your package directly to CoSport and be refunded 75% of its full value commencing within 45 business days after June 8, 2020 when package sales recommence.

Personally I would be a little surprised if we got the full amount back as I'm sure as many have mentioned they have likely spent a lot of the money and there are admin costs.
I get that its a decision everyone needs to make for themselves, but I will continue to ask for a refund because I know I will not be attending next year regardless of if the games happen or if they allow international spectators (especially coming from the US).

One thing missing from their most recent update email though is the instruction to include your Customer ID number and Order numbers in your request for a refund. That was the instruction given to me when I first requested a refund.
freecia and nnn like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 8:29 pm

Thank goodness you guys posted that Cosport had sent an email.
I completely missed it. For some reason, the email is neither in my inbox nor spam folder. But it comes up when I do a search for 'cosport.'

I am going to be sending in my request.
freecia and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Thank goodness you guys posted that Cosport had sent an email.
I completely missed it. For some reason, the email is neither in my inbox nor spam folder. But it comes up when I do a search for 'cosport.'

I am going to be sending in my request.
In case anyone hasn't yet heard back from CoSport regarding their request for a refund, here is the response I just got today:"Thank you for your email.

I have noted on your account that you have chosen option 2 for your refund and you are on our refund list.

Refund your credit card account commencing within the next 45-60 business days from the July 31st deadline, in accordance with TOCOG's guidance and the Terms and Conditions outlined under "Competition Schedule Changes / Cancellations " , as agreed when you purchased.

You may find the FACE VALUE for each ticket on your order confirmation invoice or by logging in to your account and clicking on the My Account tab / orders.

Once we begin processing you will receive a release form from us before the refund is completed and will be sent out on an individual basis. To ensure all fairness these forms will be sent out according date of receipt of the request."

So it seems we will get the face value of the tickets refunded but not the handling fees. I sent a follow up email asking about the shipping fee since nothing was shipped, nor will anything be shipped. That should not be a cost they get to keep (but we'll see).
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:59 am

I got the same email.
Thank you!
I don't know who in the right mind would ask for refund with option 1.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:54 am
nnn

We decided to keep our tickets and see what happens next year. If for whatever reason the tickets end up not being honored (e.g., event cancelled, limited or no spectators, etc.), I'm giving it a high likelihood that they will provide refunds at that time.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:25 pm

Just in case anyone missed it in their email, CoSport sent the refund release form that needs to be filled out in order to receive your refund. Their email said the form must be returned to them by Tuesday, August 25th or they will not be able to process the refund.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by kimmcarr
Just in case anyone missed it in their email, CoSport sent the refund release form that needs to be filled out in order to receive your refund. Their email said the form must be returned to them by Tuesday, August 25th or they will not be able to process the refund.
Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated!

So this release form is a bit confusing.

There're 2 boxes that you can check. If I want the refund going back to the original card of payment, do I check both boxes or just the second one? It seems like everyone must sign the top box, but it's confusing.

Also, there are two different columns where you sign and print your name. One is under "for and on behalf of Cosport," the other is under "for and on behalf of account name." Which one are you supposed to sign under?

I just called them, but they're closed of course. Sent them an email but, based on past experiences, it'll be past 25 Aug by the time they get back to me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.