Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I can see Tokyo joining the elite ranks of cities that have twice failed to host the olympics.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
I can see Tokyo joining the elite ranks of cities that have twice failed to host the olympics.
And Japan as a whole would have failed for the third time. They're only batting .500 as it is.
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:58 pm

That would suck. I'll keep my hopes up, though.

I think it's unfair that Jpn has to shoulder almost all of the financial burdens of this 1-yr delay or, God forbid, outright cancellation.
The background problem to all this is that IOC has allowed the Olympics to become this money-grubbing corporate/political behemoth.
Ticket prices and hotel price-gouging are symbolic of this, not to mention the amount of investment the host country has been forced to make.

I heard 2022 is unrealistic as they can no longer push back a lot of the things that were contingent upon Olympics being over, such as conversion of Athletes' Village into residential complexes.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I still have my airline tix from the US to HND during the original Olympics dates. I could avoid the change/cancellation fees by going to Tokyo anyway, assuming travel is permitted. I've never been to Japan (outside of NRT). Anyone else have similar thoughts?
Update: Called UAL to cancel and get an e-cert. Lo and behold, my employee Z class ticket was fully refunded. Not sure why but thrilled! How can one tell after purchase if a ticket is refundable?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by rxgeek
Update: Called UAL to cancel and get an e-cert. Lo and behold, my employee Z class ticket was fully refunded. Not sure why but thrilled! How can one tell after purchase if a ticket is refundable?
Isn't that info usually presented before you purchase a ticket.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:36 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Several off topic posts veering into general coronavirus discussion and/or OMNI topics deleted. Non-Japan-related coronavirus discussion should be taken either to the Coronavirus and Travel forum or the OMNI forums.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old May 1, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a human interest story (Japanese)

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...415451000.html

To my knowledge, this is the first person that was supposed to be a torch runner to pass away. A 54 year old man who's restaurant saw dwindling business apparently set himself and the restaurant on fire.
Old May 1, 2020, 10:39 pm

Trying to find out which tonkatu place in Nerima.
I hope it’s not the one I’m thinking of.
In any case, very tragic.
Old May 2, 2020, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo Olympics Unlikely to Happen in 2021, Virus Experts Say

Tokyo’s postponed Olympics is unlikely to take place even in 2021 as the coronavirus pandemic may not be fully contained around the world by then, a growing number of infectious disease experts warn.

The highly contagious virus, which has claimed more than 200,000 lives globally, will be at various stages of spread and infection in different countries by next summer, making it hard to pull off a large-scale international event, some health policy experts say. Under such a scenario, guests and athletes from more than 200 countries and regions would require extensive testing and quarantines -- a logistical process that may not be feasible.

“Japan may be able to contain the virus by next year’s games” but other regions like the U.S., Africa or Brazil may not, creating an uneven playing field for athletes, said Norio Sugaya, a visiting professor at Keio University’s School of Medicine in Tokyo and a member of a World Health Organization panel advising on pandemic influenza. “It’s going to be tough to hold the Olympics.”

Sugaya’s concern is echoed by Yoshito Niki, a visiting professor of infectious disease at Showa University, who warns that the world will need at least two years to contain the virus as infections return in the northern and southern hemispheres when they enter their winter seasons. If the games are to be pushed ahead regardless, spectators would have to be shut out and athletes would have to travel to Japan a month in advance for testing, he said. That raises the question of whether it will be even worth having the event at all, he said.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:06 am

People can try to speculate all they want.
But the most meaningful thing IOC should do is to define some timeframes.

Dec 15: decide whether to cancel or defer decision another 3mo.
Mar 15 (if necessary): decide whether to proceed or cancel.

This will stop the speculations and allow everyone (athletes, govt, businesses, venues, governing bodies) to make plans.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They've already defined a timeframe. The Olympics will start on July 23, 2021. They will refuse to say anything different until, like before, other parties force the issue.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If they can decide to defer the decision, I would expect them to always defer the decision until as late as possible. There's no reason to make the decision on December 15th if they can postpone it to March 15th.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they can decide to defer the decision, I would expect them to always defer the decision until as late as possible. There's no reason to make the decision on December 15th if they can postpone it to March 15th.
Probably not much downside for IOC to delay the decision as long as possible.
But it's better for almost everyone else to know earlier than later if it's going to be cancelled anyways.
The delay is already costing Jpn, numerous businesses and certain athletes a lot of money. It'll probably cost them more if the cancellation is announced in March vs Dec.
So I think if it's looking very certain by Dec that the Olympics would be a bad idea, then it should just be cancelled then.
Dec was just arbitrary, though. It could be Jan or Nov or whenever. The earlier the better for the decision, although I just think you can't rule out summer 2021 Olympics until ~Nov at the earliest.
Old May 3, 2020, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's the IOC that will be making the decision whether the IOC should defer the decision.
Old May 6, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's the IOC that will be making the decision whether the IOC should defer the decision.
You sound like my mother when I was a tyke under lockdown for some transgression or another and I was trying to negotiate with her when it would be lifted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.