Reload this Page >

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Replies from US CoSport and ticket arrivals

Hello FT

I did too order tickets from the US CoSport site. Couple of questions to the forum

1) Has anyone gotten their tickets yet?

2) When are tickets shipped out?

3) Anyone get replies from CoSport customer service. I have emailed and gotten automated response that we will get back to you, but no actual reply on my question.

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
I just stumbled on this thread. I had looked into going for 2020, but after not being able to acquire any tickets when they first dropped, being priced out of any accommodation, I decided to go in May instead. I will live vicariously through this thread.

When time comes, I'd be interested in any blogs or insta's to follow. I volunteered at 2006 in Torino for the games. Its quite an experience.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
after contacting them again, this is their responseHello,

Tickets will be shipped sometime in May by courier. You will receive them no later than 60 days prior to the opening ceremony. Within the next few weeks you will be sent an email notification to confirm your shipping address. It is your responsibility to confirm this at that time. Once we do ship the tickets you will receive a tracking number. Thank you
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by chichow
after contacting them again, this is their responseHello,

Tickets will be shipped sometime in May by courier. You will receive them no later than 60 days prior to the opening ceremony. Within the next few weeks you will be sent an email notification to confirm your shipping address. It is your responsibility to confirm this at that time. Once we do ship the tickets you will receive a tracking number. Thank you
Thanks for this info!
I got tickets last summer via Cosport and, without reading through the fine print, I'd just assumed the order confirmation was my ticket into the event (sort of like airline eticket). Did not know that the ticket will be shipped to my home, and it's good to know that we're supposed to wait till May to receive them!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:31 pm

Looks like tickets are released for many more events. Maybe ticket sales have slowed or they are getting cancellations due to uncertainty...

US Cosport site - https://www.cosport.com/olympics/tickets.aspx

17 events have tickets for sale.

We are still planning to attend, assuming they are not cancelled.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Looks like tickets are released for many more events. Maybe ticket sales have slowed or they are getting cancellations due to uncertainty...

US Cosport site - https://www.cosport.com/olympics/tickets.aspx

17 events have tickets for sale.

We are still planning to attend, assuming they are not cancelled.
wow. they have lots of athletics. volleyball, 3 on 3 hoop.
This makes me consider pulling the trigger, but it's hard when there's uncertainty about the Olympics and the refund process (if any!).

I could see a scenario where the Olympics go on even if the situation remains less than ideal virus-wise.
I've no idea what the refund policy would be in such case. I've already spent ~$1.5k.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:10 pm

All kinds of tickets available on Cosport.
Seems no one is buying them with all the uncertainty.

I decided to hold off on spending any more money, because it seems it's been a nightmare for some trying to get refund from Cosport.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...-Olympics.html
K7Beach and invalyd like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
T&C of the tickets says “No refund when canceled due to public health emergency”
Asahi reports in にほんご.
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASN3L056SN3KUTIL05P.html

JOC’s comments.
Nikkan Sports.

https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic...180000707.html
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:10 pm

I don't see how they could continue with Olympics at this point. Even if it is held, many of the countries can't get there to participate. Hopefully you could get your money back if they do cancel.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by O Sora
T&C of the tickets says “No refund when canceled due to public health emergency”
Asahi reports in にほんご.
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASN3L056SN3KUTIL05P.html

JOC’s comments.
Nikkan Sports.

https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic...180000707.html
But your last link ( https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic...180000707.html ) actually puts a brake on the others and is essentially saying 'not so fast'.

And if they cancel the Olympics and refuse to refund, then I think that's bush-league.
Hiding behind the technicalities of T&C and not doing the right thing would not go over well.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:25 pm

Can someone share the gist or a summary of what they are saying in the links? I can only find Japanese language (I may be missing). Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Klarity7
Can someone share the gist or a summary of what they are saying in the links? I can only find Japanese language (I may be missing). Thank you!
This is what the article from the last link is saying, in a nutshell.

- There have been reports/rumours that there won't be ticket refunds in case of Olympic cancellation.
- But JOC said that is not true.
- JOC did not promise refund either.
- JOC's stance is that they're not at all thinking about cancellation, so at this point they won't even comment on hypotheticals or any measures they'd take in case of cancellation.
- In summary, whether/not there'll be refund won't be known until/unless they had to cross that bridge (ie, cancelled Olympics).
K7Beach likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:02 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by evergrn
But your last link ( https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic...180000707.html ) actually puts a brake on the others and is essentially saying 'not so fast'.

And if they cancel the Olympics and refuse to refund, then I think that's bush-league.
Hiding behind the technicalities of T&C and not doing the right thing would not go over well.
Japan are the masters of hiding behind technicalities. For any sort of comparison, there were supposed to be two big chemistry conferences this coming week, one in Japan and one in the United States, both of which got canceled. The US one refunded everyone, no questions asked, while the Japanese one said "no refunds and if you haven't paid yet please do so soon".

All that being said, if they do reschedule the Olympics rather than outright cancel it, then not allow refunds for people who can't make the new dates, half-empty stadiums would look pretty bad.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Need
I don't see how they could continue with Olympics at this point. Even if it is held, many of the countries can't get there to participate. Hopefully you could get your money back if they do cancel.
I'm still holding out hope. I think it depends on when IOC feels it needs to make its decision by. If it's a month from now, forget it. If it's 2 months from now, then I think there's a chance of salvaging the Olympics.

I'm equally annoyed by all these editorials calling for the Games to be cancelled as I am by Japanese politicians acting like the Games will go on no matter what.
The best thing to do is for everyone to shut up about the Olympics for now and instead focus on containing coronavirus, then reassess things in 2 months' time.
2 months is a long time. By then, the virus situation may be well past its peak in most parts of the world. If that's the case, then maybe people will feel better about having the Olympics after all. From that point on, you've still got 10 more weeks till the Olympics. I know that's pushing it, but cancelling the Olympics would be such a blow to the athletes and to Jpn.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I'm guessing the virus may well be under control in Japan by the time of the Olympics, but probably not so in other countries so there is a risk of visiting athletes re-introducing the virus into Japan. I think a good solution would be a variation on what they've done with Sumo where they hold the matches with no fans present, but instead they hold the events with the stands full but with no athletes present. The spectators could sing songs or watch highlights from past Olympics on the big screen. They might even have school children waving brightly colored flags. I would definitely go provided they had young ladies selling beer and hot dogs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.