Reload this Page >

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by catbox9
I have tickets to the 2020 games from Cosport who is the official seller for the United States. Emailed them about a refund since the games are postponed and got a hard no from them.
Is there a force majeure clause in your agreement/T&C's with them?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Is there a force majeure clause in your agreement/T&C's with them?
Here is the bad news from Cosport's T&C:
Insurance: THE COMPANY is not responsible or liable for loss, damage, theft of personal belongings, or for personal injury, accidents, and/or illness. Additionally, THE COMPANY is not responsible for circumstances that may arise subsequent to the purchase of Product(s) that may make it inconvenient or impossible for Customer to travel or use the Product(s), including without limitation, acts of God, financial circumstances of the Customer, climatic conditions, breakdown of machinery or equipment, acts of government or other authorities, wars whether or not declared, civil disturbances, strikes, riots, thefts, epidemics, quarantines, medical or customs regulations, terrorist activities, or any other actions, omissions or conditions beyond THE COMPANY’s control. Neither THE COMPANY nor any of its affiliates or subsidiaries shall be or become liable or responsible for any additional expenses or liabilities or injuries sustained or incurred by Customer as a result of any of the aforementioned causes. For protection against such contingencies, THE COMPANY recommends that Customer maintain suitable insurance to cover these possibilities.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Here is the bad news from Cosport's T&C:
Insurance: THE COMPANY is not responsible or liable for loss, damage, theft of personal belongings, or for personal injury, accidents, and/or illness. Additionally, THE COMPANY is not responsible for circumstances that may arise subsequent to the purchase of Product(s) that may make it inconvenient or impossible for Customer to travel or use the Product(s), including without limitation, acts of God, financial circumstances of the Customer, climatic conditions, breakdown of machinery or equipment, acts of government or other authorities, wars whether or not declared, civil disturbances, strikes, riots, thefts, epidemics, quarantines, medical or customs regulations, terrorist activities, or any other actions, omissions or conditions beyond THE COMPANY’s control. Neither THE COMPANY nor any of its affiliates or subsidiaries shall be or become liable or responsible for any additional expenses or liabilities or injuries sustained or incurred by Customer as a result of any of the aforementioned causes. For protection against such contingencies, THE COMPANY recommends that Customer maintain suitable insurance to cover these possibilities.
This language is written in such way that it could potentially be interpreted as covering basically anything and everything that leads to an event cancellation! Such bs imho. I think it's really up to IOC/JOC. If IOC/JOC decides to refund, then Cosport should/would pass the refund onto us, I would hope.

I have tickets to the 2020 games from Cosport who is the official seller for the United States. Emailed them about a refund since the games are postponed and got a hard no from them.
How quickly did they reply to you?
And they didn't offer anything else to soften the blow? (like credit towards purchase of postponed Olympics tickets)
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by evergrn
How quickly did they reply to you?
And they didn't offer anything else to soften the blow? (like credit towards purchase of postponed Olympics tickets)
Took a few hours. Offered nothing. Think credit card dispute worth doing? I mean they basically sold me phantom tickets. They didn't even guarantee that if the Olympics are played in 2021 I have tickets for then.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:46 am

Took a few hours. Offered nothing. Think credit card dispute worth doing? I mean they basically sold me phantom tickets. They didn't even guarantee that if the Olympics are played in 2021 I have tickets for then.
That's very irritating... cosport.
What they should've said is, we don't have all the answers right now and we are waiting to see how IOC/JOC handle this.
Who are these guys anyways? Their only listed address is a PO box. How did they get to become the official ticket vendor for the Olympics in USA?

If it turns out that they truly are not going to refund, then they make out like a bandit, because they get to rake in commissions from 2020 and 2021.

Anyways, I'm hopeful that IOC/JOC will do the right thing.
But even then, I have a feeling it might take months of effort to get it back.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:56 am

That's very irritating... cosport.
What they should've said is, we don't have all the answers right now and we are waiting to see how IOC/JOC handle this.
Who are these guys anyways? Their only listed address is a PO box. How did they get to become the official ticket vendor for the Olympics in USA?

If it turns out that they truly are not going to refund, then they make out like a bandit, because they get to rake in commissions from 2020 and 2021.

Anyways, I'm hopeful that IOC/JOC will do the right thing.
But even then, I have a feeling it might take months of effort to get it back.

Yeah all this getting really annoying. My credit cards must hate me because I have so many pending disputes right now. I flew a Cambodian airline across the country a few weeks ago. They cancelled my flight and I booked another one on the same airline. Not giving me a refund for some reason even though I flew the same day. Had to dispute that charge. Another airline cancelled my flight all together and I paid extra for seat selection which they are refusing to refund. Another CC dispute for that. Now this. I think I have a good case for all of these disputes but I really hate not knowing and the credit cards take forever to decide.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:23 pm

Got an email from Cosport saying: "Cosport Tokyo 2020 purchases will be honored at the Games in 2021" and that they will be in touch with updates.

We'll see how this all shakes out.
If the Olympics are held in April-June (as opposed to July/Aug), then a lot of families including us won't be able to go.
In that case, I hope they'd offer refund.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:43 pm

Got an email from Cosport saying: "Cosport Tokyo 2020 purchases will be honored at the Games in 2021" and that they will be in touch with updates.

We'll see how this all shakes out.
If the Olympics are held in April-June (as opposed to July/Aug), then a lot of families including us won't be able to go.
In that case, I hope they'd offer refund.

They really need to refund all these tickets. Holding our money ransom for a year+ is totally unfair. I decided to go sort of spur-of-the-moment and totally didn't buy tickets until there was almost nothing left. I'll go for sure in 2021, but I'd rather try to get tickets for better events rather than leftover scraps. Plus it's not like they're having a hard time selling these tickets. It's the Olympics. People will go.
evergrn likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
April is high tourist season under normal circumstances, now added the Olympics. Expect wall to wall people in popular destinations like Tokyo, Kyoto and others along the major Shinkansen routes.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
April is high tourist season under normal circumstances, now added the Olympics. Expect wall to wall people in popular destinations like Tokyo, Kyoto and others along the major Shinkansen routes.
I thought you had a breaking news, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
Did you read anywhere that the Olympics will be in April?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:16 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I thought you had a breaking news, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
Did you read anywhere that the Olympics will be in April?
It's being considered, but July seems more likely.

Tokyo Olympics postponed to 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic (The Guardian, 3/24)

Some IOC members have already raised the prospect of a “cherry blossom” Games next April, however it is more likely that they will be staged in July 2021 when there are fewer sporting events due to take place. World Athletics has already indicated that it will be happy to shift its 2021 championships, which are due to take place in Eugene to 2022, and Fina, the organisers of the 2021 swimming world championships, in Japan next July, have said they will also follow suit.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Tokyo Olympics new start date is July 23rd, 2021.

The marathon will still be held in Sapporo.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Tokyo Olympics new start date is July 23rd, 2021.

The marathon will still be held in Sapporo.
Would have been a good opportunity to move them to October like the 1964 games. Could have used the excuse of giving the world time to recover.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Would have been a good opportunity to move them to October like the 1964 games. Could have used the excuse of giving the world time to recover.
A lot went into the decision, including being able to secure an adequate number of volunteers (I imagine they didn't need as many in 1964). Only large blocks of time where college students are free are summer and March, which is too cold for an Olympics.

Personally, I'd have gone with July 2022.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by hailstorm
A lot went into the decision, including being able to secure an adequate number of volunteers (I imagine they didn't need as many in 1964). Only large blocks of time where college students are free are summer and March, which is too cold for an Olympics.

Personally, I'd have gone with July 2022.
That would make sense, on both points. I miss the Summer and Winter games being in the same year, with a 4 year break between both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.