Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE

Tokyo Olympic Committee began notifying people in Japan today about the ticket lottery results. Did you get your tickets?

We applied for judo, swimming and skateboarding and only got skateboarding. We're hoping to see Sky Brown win a medal!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:17 am

Skateboarding is an Olympic sport?

Is there anything you can see without a ticket besides marathon? And regarding marathon, I wonder how spectating will work. With Boston marathon, you just sit your butt down anywhere along the course. Even along the last 10km of the course, it wasnt hard to get front row view. How will it be for Olympic marathon?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
Skateboarding is an Olympic sport?
Skateboarding, men's baseball, women's softball, karate, surfing, and sport climbing...
https://tokyo2020.org/en/news/notice/20160804-01.html

No move yet to reintroduce poetry as an Olympic event, which is a shame.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Of the five "new" sports being included in Tokyo 2020, Japan will have a good shot at medals in all of them, which I presume had an influence on the decision.

I'm guessing besides marathon, surfing and triathlon may be accessible by the general public without tickets. I'm sure they'll have some premium seats that require tickets, but along the course or beach it may be left open.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:38 am

You can probably find a free spot to watch the sailing too - If that's what floats your boat.
trooper and groovbusta like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:40 pm

surfing, sailing... no thanks.
maybe triathlon is worth looking into.
Actually, what about cycling?

Originally Posted by groovbusta
I'm sure they'll have some premium seats that require tickets, but along the course or beach it may be left open.
We should keep an eye on the marathon situation. Just found the course map.
https://tokyo2020.org/en/assets/news...rathon-map.pdf
Crap... the entire course is in busy urban area. Plus the entire route is both direction, so the course is essentially half the marathon length. I wonder if it'll be crowded everywhere.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
We applied for the men's basketball and men's baseball game.

We "won" the baseball game but didn't get any of our picks for basketball.

Will try on the next ticket release for the basketball tickets later.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
We applied for the men's basketball and men's baseball game.
My co-worker applied to 10 men's basketball games and only got tickets to two of them. She got 4 tickets to one quarterfinals and one preliminary round game.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Actually, what about cycling?
Cycling road races will start in western Tokyo and finish at Fuji Speedway, near mt Fuji, so should be plenty of space on the road to catch the racers fly by.
OLYMPICS/ Mt. Fuji provides stunning setting for 2020 Games cycling routes?The Asahi Shimbun
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:43 am

Speed/Sport Climbing is kind of amazing if you haven't heard of it.
https://youtu.be/e863Qr0jaYo
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Skateboarding, men's baseball, women's softball, karate, surfing, and sport climbing...
https://tokyo2020.org/en/news/notice/20160804-01.html

No move yet to reintroduce poetry as an Olympic event, which is a shame.
Summarize Proust perhaps?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:08 pm

Hi everyone,
This may not be the most appropriate place for this post but, in case I can get tickets for the games, I would like to try to secure lodging as quickly as possible. Although the whole ticket process seems tight, can anyone recommend a travel agency in Japan that may be able to help secure rooms? I expect things will get crazier as it get closer so I would like to snag something soon. Feel free to PM me or post here. I’ve only every been to NRT, so not familiar with Japan at all. Thanks in advance.

K
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:17 pm

Do you think we will need to rely on travel agency to make hotel bookings? I hope travel agencies arent locking up a chunk of hotel rooms before the room inventory opens up to public. Because I was going to try to book rooms myself.

In Jpn, some hotels accept bookings from 1yr out, more from 6-9mo out, vast majority from ~6mo out. Hilton app accepts bookings from 1yr out. Im thinking about being there for like the last ~5days of the Olympics. I was going to wait until exactly 1yr from my stay dates then jump on it and secure a room somewhere decent and reasonably priced within 30min of Yamamoto Yamanote line.

Add:
Saw couple articles saying that many hotels are already booked up for the Olympics. The same articles advise people to book early. How is general public supposed to book early when most hotels don't even release room inventory to the public until at least a year out? I'll see what's out there available when it's exactly a year out. Worst-case, we'll have to either crash at one of my relatives', or be willing to stay up to 60-90min from Tokyo.
K7Beach likes this.

Last edited by evergrn; Jun 22, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:19 am

Add:
Saw couple articles saying that many hotels are already booked up for the Olympics. The same articles advise people to book early. How is general public supposed to book early when most hotels don't even release room inventory to the public until at least a year out? I'll see what's out there available when it's exactly a year out. Worst-case, we'll have to either crash at one of my relatives', or be willing to stay up to 60-90min from Tokyo.
I suspect that travel companies and events companies are locking up rooms so they can resell as part of a package. I need to research the areas to stay that are reasonable distance from where the the events that I am trying for are located. You mentioned the train line that you will try to be near; thanks for that. Any other thoughts, please share. Hopefully I will hear back on tickets soon so I can plan.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:19 am

a room somewhere decent and reasonably priced within 30min of Yamamoto line.
Originally Posted by Klarity7
You mentioned the train line that you will try to be near; thanks for that.
I think evergrn meant Yamanote Line - a 35km loop that encircles central Tokyo and connects most of its major transit hubs. So you can read his comment to mean that he'll find a place to stay on one of the many railway lines that spread out from that loop. If you know specifically which events you'll attend, you can identify specific railway lines that would be most convenient for you:
https://tokyo2020.org/en/games/venue/olympic/

For example, if you've got tickets to Opening and Closing ceremonies or athletics or soccerball games you want the Olympic stadium - Venue 1

On the Tokyo Metro site, you'll find transit information for it. (Unfortunately the English version links are broken):
https://www.2020games.metro.tokyo.jp...map/index.html

WIth Chrome browser and google translate you'll get the following, which is mostly accurate -

Access information at the time of the event (assumption at the moment)
JR Sobu Line "Shinanomachi Station" "Senagaya Station" Get off Walk
Tokyo Metro Hanzomon Line, Toei Oedo Line "Aoyama 1-chome Station" Get off Walk
Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line "North Sando" Station: Get off on foot [That should be "Kita Sando" station]
Tokyo Metro Ginza Line "Gokaimae Station" get off on foot [That should be "Gaienmae" station]
Toei Oedo Line "National Stadium Station" get off on foot [That's "Kokuritsu Kyogijo" station but perhaps they'll signpost it as "National Stadium" station for the games]

With that information you can start to identify places that offer decent connections to those lines. Options that would require no change of trains include Mitaka (start of the Sobu Line services on the West of Tokyo). or Yokohama (from which you can take a Tokyu Toyoko Line train that connects seamlessly onto the Fukutoshin Line).

If, in addition to the Opening Ceremony and the Soccerball, you want to watch some water polo (you weirdo), you might prefer to look for places around Monzennakacho - with Oedo Line to take you to Kitasando for the Olympic Stadium and the bus to take you to Tatsumi for the aquatic center.

I'll be interested to see just how creative foreign visitors will get ...
K7Beach and evergrn like this.

Last edited by jib71; Jun 22, 2019 at 8:34 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.