Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:43 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by 5khours
I'm guessing the virus may well be under control in Japan by the time of the Olympics, but probably not so in other countries so there is a risk of visiting athletes re-introducing the virus into Japan. I think a good solution would be a variation on what they've done with Sumo where they hold the matches with no fans present, but instead they hold the events with the stands full but with no athletes present. The spectators could sing songs or watch highlights from past Olympics on the big screen. They might even have school children waving brightly colored flags. I would definitely go provided they had young ladies selling beer and hot dogs.
Visiting spectators are a much bigger problem than visiting athletes - there are far more of them and will have more close contact in the stands with each other compared to athletes.

A logical although sort of unfair solution would be to be to decide country by country depending on how contained the virus is there by the time the Olympics come.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by bpe
Visiting spectators are a much bigger problem than visiting athletes - there are far more of them and will have more close contact in the stands with each other compared to athletes.

A logical although sort of unfair solution would be to be to decide country by country depending on how contained the virus is there by the time the Olympics come.
I've been backstage at these events. Believe me, many of the athletes have very close contact with each other. Although they're fewer in number than the spectators and less likely to suffer serious consequences from infection with this virus - by virtue of their youth (with some exceptions) and their fitness - they risk being carriers and spreading the infection widely when they return to adoring fans, friends, and family back home.
Seriously, the olympics can't go ahead this year. The only people who won't admit it are the Japanese government, the IOC, and their insurers. The sooner they get their heads together and work out how to extract themselves from the game of chicken ("We're not cancelling. Are you cancelling?") the better. The failure to admit that the olympics can't go ahead this year is sending the wrong message to the general population.

Last edited by jib71; Mar 19, 2020 at 4:21 am
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
I've been backstage at these events. Believe me, many of the athletes have very close contact with each other. Although they're fewer in number than the spectators and less likely to suffer serious consequences from infection with this virus - by virtue of their youth (with some exceptions) and their fitness - they risk being carriers and spreading the infection widely when they return to adoring fans, friends, and family back home.
Seriously, the olympics can't go ahead this year. The only people who won't admit it are the Japanese government, the IOC, and their insurers. The sooner they get their heads together and work out how to extract themselves from the game of chicken ("We're not cancelling. Are you cancelling?") the better. The failure to admit that the olympics can't go ahead this year is sending the wrong message to the general population.
I don’t ever see the Paralympics being discussed. The era when an Olympics could go ahead without the Paralympics is surely long gone. It’s like all those folk and fairy tales where in order to marry the trophy prize sister, the “older” one needs to secure a marriage contract as well or the deal is off (the part where the “unwanted” sister is great company and a joy to be around often gets left out)
Many of those athletes, and their supporters and support staff, feature prominently in at risk groups.
jib71 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
In defiance with rest of the world, the game must go on!

Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:50 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Oh of course. It's just that the ideas of holding the olympics with only spectators or only athletes really make no sense. It's all or nothing.

The trouble is that the Japanese government and IOC both have very little to lose if they keep holding out and never being the ones to choose to cancel. As long as it's not their call it doesn't matter if they are canceled the day before they are supposed to start; it's really the spectators, athletes and (to a lesser extent) local olympic staff that are affected by a late cancellation.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Thanks a lot, evergrn.

Originally Posted by evergrn
This is what the article from the last link is saying, in a nutshell.

- There have been reports/rumours that there won't be ticket refunds in case of Olympic cancellation.
- But JOC said that is not true.
- JOC did not promise refund either.
- JOC's stance is that they're not at all thinking about cancellation, so at this point they won't even comment on hypotheticals or any measures they'd take in case of cancellation.
- In summary, whether/not there'll be refund won't be known until/unless they had to cross that bridge (ie, cancelled Olympics).
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:42 pm

Seriously, the olympics can't go ahead this year. The only people who won't admit it are the Japanese government, the IOC, and their insurers.
That would suck big time (for me, and 1000x more for the athletes), but I'm afraid you might be right.
Rhetorics have suddenly changed the last 24hrs.

A JOC member has come out saying the Olympics should be postponed.
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2...002-asahi-soci

Jpn Athletics Federation official comments on postponement scenarios.
https://www.nikkansports.com/olympic...190000695.html

addendum:
Every single reader comment (all by Japanese people) on the Yahoo link is in agreement with this renegade JOC member, despite the likelihood that this lady will probably be pummeled and ostracized by other JOC and government officials.
I still wish they would not jump to any decision on the Olympics until mid-May or last feasible moment, even as the situation here (USA) is dire. But reading through the comments, it's hard to argue.

Last edited by evergrn; Mar 20, 2020 at 12:13 am Reason: changed the link
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:47 am

With the increasing calls from different organizations to postpone, I don't see how IOC can stay the course with the current Olympics plan at this point.
Norway Olympics Committee, USA Swimming, British Athletics, Spanish Olympics, Washington Post, Japanese Boxing

Even if we manage to get over the hump with the pandemic by ~June, I guess the issue is that athletes are currently not able to prepare for the Games or the qualifiers due to all the closures/restrictions from the coronavirus.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:00 am

If the virus situation dies down and travel restrictions are lifted, yet the Olympics are cancelled/postponed, I wonder what type of policies/waivers (if any) the airlines will have with regards to flights to/from Jpn this July/Aug.

For the Olympics, I had to do a complicated flight itinerary involving 4 separate bookings through 3 different airlines involving 3 different Asian countries.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
Even if we manage to get over the hump with the pandemic by ~June, I guess the issue is that athletes are currently not able to prepare for the Games or the qualifiers due to all the closures/restrictions from the coronavirus.
The way the pandemic has been spreading across the world has been a wave - first East Asia, then Iran and Europe and out it continues. The time scale for each country was different, is different, will be different. The idea that measures being put into place will have had enough effect to create a space for a Summer Olympics/Paralympics ignores the fact that there are still many countries - all part of the Olympic Family, because if there is any point at all to this huge behemoth of an organisation it’s the message that we are part of a brotherhood of man and can unite in an appreciation of Sport - that are just entering into the fray, or are about to. The idea that, come June/July, their emergencies and humanitarian crises should be swept aside as inconvenient whilst the “big boys” hog the field is abhorrent. Not that the “big boys” are going to be ready to play by then anyway, but if they were... as I said, it contradicts the very spirit of the games.
BeachRat likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
With Canada and Australia pulling out of Tokyo 2020 today, surely a final announcement by the IOC to postpone will come soon... no surprise here.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: LH M+M
There we are, from Abe's mouth https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...umstances.html
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
jib71
I went around the world. It was alright for a holiday but I wouldn't want to live there - Michael Redmond
"This year he went around the world. Next year he's going someplace else."- my mother
freecia and jib71 like this.

Last edited by rxgeek; Mar 23, 2020 at 6:25 am Reason: Added name reference
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:38 am

Olympics officially Postponed until latest Summer 2021.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200324_52/

Abe, IOC head agree to hold Games by summer 2021

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach have agreed to hold the Tokyo Games by the summer of 2021 at the latest.

Abe and Bach talked over the phone on Tuesday to discuss what to do about the Games. That comes in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.

Bach agreed with Abe's proposal to postpone the Games by about a year.

Last edited by Pureboy; Mar 25, 2020 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have tickets to the 2020 games from Cosport who is the official seller for the United States. Emailed them about a refund since the games are postponed and got a hard no from them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.