Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...f-thomas-bach/

That the IOC head felt compelled to publicly state there won't be mandatory vaccination for athletes makes me wonder if there's such a requirement forthcoming for visitors.
Do we even know what the means yet? Do we know that vaccination in January would still be valid in July?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Do we know that vaccination in January would still be valid in July?
I don't think that this is knowable today. The definitive answer will emerge from monitoring the immune systems of vaccinated people over time. The CEO of BioNTech said "I could imagine we could be safe for at least a year,” with his company's vaccine. I don't know if that's just a guess or if it's an informed estimate from monitoring the few dozen Phase 1 and Phase 2 trial participants who received their first doses earlier this year.

As
rustykettel points out, the statement that vaccination won't be mandatory for athletes is notable for what it doesn't say - i.e. Will vaccination be a prerequisite for non-athlete participants and other visitors to Japan? I guess that athletes from developing countries might not be able to get vaccinated before the Olympic games. I don't think that athletes from higher income countries should be exempted from a vaccination requirement... but in any case, I'm still doubtful that the Olympics will happen at all.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:24 pm

cosport

Read this:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...-idUSKCN10F1YI
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
That article makes it sound like the whole Olympic enterprise is a corrupt racket. It can't be true because sport is an unalloyed force for peace and good in the world. Everyone involved has pure motivations and the best interests of young people at heart.
evergrn, BeachRat, Dave510 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:46 pm

Cosport is so incredibly shady.

- In June they announced we’d have 30days from the date of 2021 Olympics schedule being published (but they said it was my responsibility to keep an eye on when that was) to request to be placed on cancellation track.

- In Aug, they announced another hoop to jump through for those requesting refund. It was Refund request form that we had to fill out and return to them, and that time they literally only gave us ~5 days till deadline.

- Failing either of the above, one is deemed not eligible for refund. How many people missed out simply by not checking their email closely?

- In late Aug, they said we would hear back regarding refund within 45-60 days. Still nothing.

- They apparently won’t refund the 20% shipping and handling fee, even though they never shipped anything.

- They have the worst possible BBB rating.

You lose respect for the Olympics when they’re selling tickets through a scam outfit like Cosport.
freecia, ExpatExp and rustykettel like this.

Last edited by evergrn; Nov 24, 2020 at 7:12 pm Reason: one more
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
We had to get the credit card company (Chase) involved to get a refund from Cosport.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
We had to get the credit card company (Chase) involved to get a refund from Cosport.
That would be the last resort for me, but I may have to go that route that if I still don't have my refund by Feb or March.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is sure to improve sentiment amongst the people towards the Olympics in Japan:

Cost to Delay Tokyo Olympics Is Estimated at $2 Billion

The official cost of putting on the Tokyo Olympics is $12.6 billion. However, a government audit last year said it was probably twice that much. All but $5.6 billion is public money.

Tokyo said the games would cost $7.3 billion when it won the bid in 2013.

The $2 billion only adds to the total. A University of Oxford study published early this year — calculated before the postponement — said Tokyo was the most expensive Summer Olympics on record and the meter is still running.
And for the rest of you, there's this gem:

Some fans are expected at the events, but it is unclear if many fans from abroad will be allowed to attend.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:16 pm

“A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."
(US Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen)
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:08 am

Finally got my refund.
Of course they kept the shipping/handling, which I still think it's unethical.
But I'm glad to just put this to rest and move on.

I'm not sure if I want the Olympics to happen next summer.
Of course you want it for the athletes.
But I'm not sure what's better for Jpn... have a stripped-down version and then not get another summer Olympics for 40 years, or cancel it and preserve a shot at hosting normal Games within the next 12 years.

Last edited by evergrn; Dec 27, 2020 at 10:01 am
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:09 pm

decision time

So much chaos surrounding the JOC leadership.
I don't know how they could even begin to make the decision on the Olympics under these circumstances.
Nonetheless, aren't we now at the point in time where they should at least decide whether the Olympics (if held) would be held with limited spectators or no spectators?
It's a foregone conclusion that the Olympics cannot be held without significant reduction on the spectator capacity. J-League, sumo, Australian Open tennis, everything has been capped at max 50% attendance up to this point. What could possibly change that between now and July? Jpn won't be 70% vaccinated by July. There's no way possible that social distancing will go away until there's herd immunity.

Think they need to:
1. decide if they're still interested in having Olympics without full attendance (asap)
2. if so, then run a lottery to pare down ticketholders to max 50% capacity; ousted ticketholders notified so they can make other plans (late Feb)
3. decide if it's feasible to still have Olympics with limited crowd, or should convert to no-attendance Games, or cancel/postpone altogether (late March)
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
J-League, sumo, Australian Open tennis, everything has been capped at max 50% attendance up to this point.
Pretty sure Australian Open tennis has been capped at max 0% attendance at this point.

I think everyone's attention is now devoted to a face-saving way out of this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:36 pm

Pretty sure Australian Open tennis has been capped at max 0% attendance at this point.

I think everyone's attention is now devoted to a face-saving way out of this.
JOC and IOC should be looking at Australian Open closely right now. I would expect they are.
I have a feeling that the JOC is actually still trying to pull off the Games. If Seiko Hashimoto is chosen to head JOC, she'll probably be super gung ho about it.
I don't know what the right thing is. What good will it do to Jpn to host a zero-attendance Olympics? They'd better take a pass on that! 50% attendance Games while enforcing rules and protocols would just be a lot of headache+cost with less revenue. If you keep postponing the Games a year at a time with uncertainty, you might just be wasting a lot of people's time and throwing more money down the drain. Cancelling the Games outright would be very unfair for Jpn after all this, unless there's some type of concession or compensation or something.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, there are a lot of faces that need to be saved. Many of those faces have conflicting needs. The only thing they can currently all agree on is putting off a decision on the matters.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Yes, there are a lot of faces that need to be saved. Many of those faces have conflicting needs. The only thing they can currently all agree on is putting off a decision on the matters.
It's like holding a non-refundable ticket that you can't use or cancel without a fee. Best to wait for the last possible moment that there might be some external event to come along and use as the purported excuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.