Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
In addition, Japan's vaccination program should be more advanced by then.
My town only has enough vaccine to vaccinate some of the old folks in the old folks homes until the middle of May. Everything else is "undetermined". I highly doubt that vaccination of the general population will be well underway by the day of the Opening Ceremonies.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
My town only has enough vaccine to vaccinate some of the old folks in the old folks homes until the middle of May. Everything else is "undetermined". I highly doubt that vaccination of the general population will be well underway by the day of the Opening Ceremonies.
At the time of the paralympics (end of August to early September), I expect the vaccination program to be more advanced than it is at the time of the olympics (July). Whether that would justify an expanded set of criteria for admission, I don't know. If it doesn't, then I guess some paralympians' family members will need to be categorized as team members ... or some paralympians will be unable to participate. That would be in keeping with the spirit of OGINO (Olympic Games In Name Only).
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
At the time of the paralympics (end of August to early September), I expect the vaccination program to be more advanced than it is at the time of the olympics (July). Whether that would justify an expanded set of criteria for admission, I don't know. If it doesn't, then I guess some paralympians' family members will need to be categorized as team members ... or some paralympians will be unable to participate. That would be in keeping with the spirit of OGINO (Olympic Games In Name Only).
Just a hunch, but I think our friend is more interested in the Olympics than the Paralympics.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by invalyd
Wait, this is your plan to illegally sneak into the country? I was expecting something a little more elaborate.

What a let down. Seems Ghosn set the bar too high.
Sorry, sometimes the simplest plans just work. Whether it is 'illegally" is another story... how many hours must you know someone to be a friend? Los Angeles allowed criminals and smokers to get vaccines before the general public, and some states are picking colors to get the vaccine prioritized. I consider that far more illegal, punishing me for being non-minority and making healthier decisions with my body. But this Ghosn guy sounds fun, maybe I'll be inspired. If I make it to Japan, I am sure I won't be spreading any COVID and you'll be just fine.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Los Angeles allowed criminals and smokers to get vaccines before the general public
Smokers and criminals are the general public.

the general public noun
: all the people of an area, country, etc.
BeachRat and invalyd like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:51 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Just capitulated and filled out the CoSport rip-off refund form. Sigh.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by nnn
Just capitulated and filled out the CoSport rip-off refund form. Sigh.
could you scoot over a bit? I need a seat on that boat.

I also filled out the form as My card company said they would get back to me after 2 - 3 weeks and the card is not a US credit card where there is greater consumer protection so the fight would cost more than the loss.

so it's the 20% to CoSport and would be interested to hear from various people when the CoSport reversals actually start showing up in the credit card statements.
nnn likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:57 pm
nnn

Originally Posted by chichow
so it's the 20% to CoSport and would be interested to hear from various people when the CoSport reversals actually start showing up in the credit card statements.
I saw one report on reddit where someone claimed Chase gave them back the full refund. But the vast majority of reports from Chase customers were that they were told it's too late to open a dispute (as I was told too). If that poster truly gets to keep his/her full refund, well done to them. I didn't have the energy to gamble on a chargeback working, and then missing the nonsense window to request the 80% refund.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
I saw one report on reddit where someone claimed Chase gave them back the full refund. But the vast majority of reports from Chase customers were that they were told it's too late to open a dispute (as I was told too). If that poster truly gets to keep his/her full refund, well done to them. I didn't have the energy to gamble on a chargeback working, and then missing the nonsense window to request the 80% refund.
I think you've done the right thing, as distasteful as it feels. As soon as you have the partial refund I'd send a letter requesting/demanding the rest, and then make chargeback attempts on that portion, consider small claims, etc. I wouldn't feel morally bound to this new "waiver" that was signed under duress -- legally it might make it a bit more difficult later, but it was going to be hard anyway to get the full refund, so nothing to lose in trying.

Hopefully future olympics will see drastically reduced ticket purchases as consumers remember what happened here (social media can be a great way for bitter victims of this one to keep bringing it up in the future). That's probably wishful thinking though.
nnn and evergrn like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:52 pm
nnn

We were actually looking forward to going. Mrs. nnn is a huge Olympics junkie, and going to one in person was a big bucket list kind of thing. Hopefully, for the L.A. Olympics the crooks at CoSport will be cut out since we will be hosting....
evergrn likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I did NOT fill out either form, so wish me and my $4000 good luck. I'll report back with results, whether they be tomorrow or 3 months from now.
nnn and hailstorm like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday was the milestone of 100 days until the (currently scheduled) Opening Ceremony of the Olympics. To celebrate, Governor Koike and select dignitaries revealed statues of the Olympic and Paralympic mascots to help get people excited for the Olympics. These statues will remain outside the view of the public until the COVID-19 situation improves.

Meanwhile, the Olympic Torch spent the last two days in Osaka. Their situation is so bad that the 180 torch relay runners spent two days doing laps in the Osaka Expo Commemorative Park, closed off to all spectators.

The IOC chairman and Tokyo counterparts all reaffirmed their commitment that the Olympic Games will proceed as scheduled.

Never mind toilet paper, the real item likely to be in short supply going forward is popcorn.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Never mind toilet paper, the real item likely to be in short supply going forward is popcorn.
Or common sense.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
Or common sense.
Well, I can't just stock up on that from Amazon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.