Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Meanwhile, the Olympic Torch spent the last two days in Osaka. Their situation is so bad that the 180 torch relay runners spent two days doing laps in the Osaka Expo Commemorative Park, closed off to all spectators.
I think the legal departments at the networks who paid to broadcast the 2020 Games must be getting ready to tackle the koan "If the Olympic Games took place behind closed doors with nobody there to see them, did they really happen?"
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
I think the legal departments at the networks who paid to broadcast the 2020 Games must be getting ready to tackle the koan "If the Olympic Games took place behind closed doors with nobody there to see them, did they really happen?"
Of course it happened. The Sun is watching.

The mass media is doing their part by reporting almost no dissenting voices (NHK actively censors dissent), but there are almost no positive comments for this video:

Last edited by hailstorm; Apr 14, 2021 at 7:33 pm
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course it happened. The Sun is watching.

The mass media is doing their part by reporting almost no dissenting voices (NHK actively censors dissent), but there are almost no positive comments for this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO58fdhNBsA
NHK : Poop polishers extraordinaire.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:47 pm

Running out of runway ...
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even the Spruce Goose got off the ground a little bit.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Pickles
Or common sense.
Well, I can't just stock up on that from Amazon.
I have extra. I can send some over if you want.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:16 am

Plenty on Rakuten:

Common scents
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:36 am

Common scents
jibs’ got the comedy parade rolling today
Old Apr 16, 2021, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oyaji gags never fail!
rustykettel likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I think the phrase "accommodate your needs/plans based on your previous purchase(s)." just means that Co-sport will allow you to choose not to cancel your tickets. This is not an offer to arrange hotel stays.
The people to whom this applies are likely to be residents in Japan who purchased tickets through co-sport because they were living abroad at the time of purchase. I think you should forget about entering Japan between now and the olympics unless you're:
- A resident of Japan
- A Japanese citizen
- An athlete / coach / physio / umpire etc., involved in the olympics
- A diplomat
- A member of the US military traveling under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA)
- Carlos Ghosn (always welcome to return)
Add to the list: Japanese living abroad (assuming they do their 2-week quarantine).
Japanese citizens living abroad are expected to be allowed to volunteer, according to the officials.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...as-volunteers/

But it begs the question, how are they any less likely to bring COVID into the country than the non-Japanese living abroad?
Many/most ticket holders might not want to spend two weeks in a hotel in order to be allowed to see the Games, but some might.

And speaking of quarantine, are all the athletes and their supporters arriving 2 weeks early in order to complete one? I doubt it...
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Add to the list: Japanese living abroad (assuming they do their 2-week quarantine).
Doesn't that already fall under "A Japanese citizen"?
jib71 and evergrn like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:22 am

But it begs the question, how are they any less likely to bring COVID into the country than the non-Japanese living abroad?
The reason that Japanese citizens can enter Japan is not because they are less likely to carry a virus but because Japan finds it difficult to bar its citizens from entering their own country.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:20 pm

Many/most ticket holders might not want to spend two weeks in a hotel in order to be allowed to see the Games, but some might.
If you have the time and don't like spending two weeks in a hotel, then maybe you could travel to Japan on a private yacht, if this is more fun. I think that the rule says that you have to quarantine if you have been to a long list of countries in the past 14 days, but the time you spend on your private yacht in international waters probably counts as being in no country at all, so quarantine can maybe be avoided by spending two weeks on a private yacht in international waters. This would probably also open up entry for those who still have visa-free access to Japan. Visa-free access was removed for Europeans, but it looks as if Americans still have visa-free access.

The southern half of Karafuto is sometimes shown as terra nullius on Japanese maps, so maybe staying there for 14 days also exempts you from quarantine.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Im a new user
The southern half of Karafuto is sometimes shown as terra nullius on Japanese maps, so maybe staying there for 14 days also exempts you from quarantine.
Southern Karafuto is a stretch , but for sure you should be able to enter Jpn without quarantine if you’ve been on Russia’s Kunashiri island. According to every Japanese map, that’s Jpn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.