Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 5:18 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Yikes. Yea, I bought the maximum number of allowed tickets, though to be fair, mostly in the C + D categories. I never have a problem finding a ton of empty sponsor seats up front, or making friends' with the athlete's parents. I DO think it SUCKS for Cosport if they had to do years of work and contracts and then get essentially bankrupted, but they really should have diversified their business long ago, and been more ethical and fair with all sorts of things... currency conversion, cancelled single events, you name it. I did NOT sign their little survey / waiver because SO far, court cases have favored the littlest man when affected by Covid... but by holding out if they DO go bankrupt I guess I could find myself in a worse spot. I ABSOLUTELY hope they are never awarded a contract again and ticket sales go online.

Ugh, just typing this all out and finally resigning myself to knowing I am not going to Toyko is heartbreaking... I know there are far worse (like family members not being able to attend) but I spent hours and hours and hours researching, plotting, planning, checking for more tickets... making maps... even though most of this work was 20 months ago... this so stings.
Ugh indeed. I also spent crazy hours researching, getting tickets, prime business and first class awards (this is still FT), lodging, etc. -- all for a bucket list trip for Mrs. nnn, who is super into the Olympics (much more so than I, but it would still have been a lot of fun). At least the athletes, especially those who only get one real shot, will get to compete (hopefully!).

In terms of getting your refund, IIRC, you may have a decent case -- especially for any tickets purchased under the original CoSport contracts (before the pandemic), and especially now that nobody will get tickets. I think CoSport may have had an argument to keep the money based on their about-face where they let you take the tickets, even if you couldn't get into Japan. But now that option is out. But all that is based on a faint memory of what the contracts said. I have tried to put it well out of my mind since then. So I could be dead wrong.

And of course, regardless of what the contracts say, the right thing to do would have been to offer refunds of the fee, or at least half of it or something. Not sure that I fully trust them that they didn't take any profit on the 20%. Agree with you that hopefully they will be kicked to the curb.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by hailstorm
I thought you weren't going to give up. You'll find a way!
Welp, I got called out, but I kinda expected it. At this point, if not even a Japanese resident can go, it's going to get pretty hard. But I did say it if it was boring... I won't go. Which it will be!
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by nnn
Ugh indeed. I also spent crazy hours researching, getting tickets, prime business and first class awards (this is still FT), lodging, etc. -- all for a bucket list trip for Mrs. nnn, who is super into the Olympics (much more so than I, but it would still have been a lot of fun).
Would this have been your first Olympics? Definitely message me before Paris 24 or beyond if you want. This would have been my 6th or so... plenty of tips for a games in a normal year. I also did Beijing '08 but I really hope they get 2022 cancelled for SO many reasons.
nnn likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: Delta
Maybe I missed it on this thread. But does anyone think that Japan will get another Olympics soon to make up for all of the troubles with this one? I wonder if an unwritten promise has been given that if this one is allowed to go forward, even without spectators, then Japan will be rewarded with another one as soon as possible.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nishimark
Maybe I missed it on this thread. But does anyone think that Japan will get another Olympics soon to make up for all of the troubles with this one? I wonder if an unwritten promise has been given that if this one is allowed to go forward, even without spectators, then Japan will be rewarded with another one as soon as possible.
Soon? I would doubt it. In the next two or three decades, maybe. One thing going for Japan is that costs are always rising and applications have been going down, so the pool of countries that can realistically hold a summer games is pretty small.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Welp, I got called out, but I kinda expected it. At this point, if not even a Japanese resident can go, it's going to get pretty hard. But I did say it if it was boring... I won't go. Which it will be!
One day I'm going to head down to Enoshima with a pair of binoculars to catch a glimpse of a sailing competitor, just to say that I went to the Games that you could not.

Originally Posted by nishimark
With "rewards" like that, who needs punishments? The well of public support for such an event has been poisoned for a generation. It would be political suicide to try and bid for another games.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
No plan to bribe a volunteer for use of a uniform ?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The dominos are falling among the remaining venues allowing spectators. Last night Hokkaido announced they were changing course and not allowing spectators at the soccer games in the prefecture. And just now, Fukushima, the "symbol" of Japan's "recovery" from 3/11, announced they were changing course and not allowing spectators at the baseball and softball games in the prefecture.

Both changes came as they realized that it would be "difficult" to prevent fans from Kanto with tickets from attending the events. This holds true for other venues as well...
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:09 am

The dominos are falling among the remaining venues allowing spectators. Last night Hokkaido announced they were changing course and not allowing spectators at the soccer games in the prefecture. And just now, Fukushima, the "symbol" of Japan's "recovery" from 3/11, announced they were changing course and not allowing spectators at the baseball and softball games in the prefecture.

Both changes came as they realized that it would be "difficult" to prevent fans from Kanto with tickets from attending the events. This holds true for other venues as well...
Surely they will not block the entire course? Should be able to see some marathon?

https://athleticsillustrated.com/tok...rse-announced/

Maybe also the triathalon? https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/sports/triathlon/

Maybe some of the road race also?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...e-route-357988

just wondering really.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even "no spectators" is not really no spectators, as sponsor tickets and IOC officials/VIPs are not officially counted as "spectators". The opening ceremonies especially I expect to see several thousand people in the stands despite "no spectators".

So it's more a fire sieve than a fire wall.
MSPeconomist and rustykettel like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today the mayor of Sendai, a city in Miyagi Prefecture hosting some Olympics soccer games, announced that she will be sending a request tonight to Olympics organizers that these matches in Sendai be held without spectators, due to concerns with people coming to the event from other areas. The Miyagi Prefecture government had previously stated that, barring an emergency/quasi-emergency declaration within the prefecture, the events would go on with fans as scheduled, so it will be interesting to see which direction wins out.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
(…) Sendai, a city in Miyagi Prefecture hosting some Olympics soccer games (…)
Thanks a lot for explaining what Sendai is. 😂 I need to remember this one.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://japantoday.com/category/toky...ympic-pep-talk

"Bach tripped over his words while addressing his Japanese hosts, referring to the “Chinese people” rather than “Japanese people” as he spoke."
invalyd likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:57 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
CoSport emailed today to inform us that refund checks have been mailed. Despite my complaining about the retained fees, I'll give them credit for making the refunds happen relatively quickly.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:56 pm

So much for the Bubble.
Olympic Bubble Chaos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.