Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
So if I bought my tickets with a Bank of America Visa Debit Card, do you think I am SOL with going the "Credit card" route?
I think so, since it's not a credit card.

Whatever you do, I agree with the poster above that you shouldn't pin any hopes on foreign spectators being allowed in.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
So if I bought my tickets with a Bank of America Visa Debit Card, do you think I am SOL with going the "Credit card" route?
A debit card operates more like a check than a credit card: you have protection against transactions you did not authorize, but disputes about lack of delivery of product or service are civil matters between you and the merchant.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
So instead of canceling a show outright, a show producer can just keep arbitrarily pushing a show back until well after four months have passed, then cancel the show and keep all the money without any recourse for refunds?
You can always sue the show producer to get the money back. If the company which sold the tickets neither allows you to attend the Olympics (if you somehow manage to enter Japan) nor gives a full refund, then it sounds to me as if the company is asking the customers to sue the company.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
THIS. NEW. EMAIL. IS. HILARIOUS. Now, you basically have 4 days to choose to cancel your tickets, OR, keep them, and by selecting either option you agree to a whole bunch of stuff and terms, that we've disguised as a "survey."

And good luck getting to Japan, but if you do, we'd LOVE to be the travel agent on record for your hotel stays. LMFAO. Anyone have any ACTUAL intel on what Japan or the IOC must have told to Cosport? Is this indeed for persons who perhaps have since moved to Japan, or is Japan considering allowing a SMALLER amount of tourists to come but doesn't want to tell anyone, so they're trying to collect as many cancellations as possible, first?

What do I do? LOL

Recently you received information from us about submitting a Refund Release Form to request a refund for your Tokyo 2020 Individual Ticket order(s) as a result of the foreign spectator ban imposed by the Government of Japan.
We have recently received confirmation from the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee that we can allow you to keep your tickets if you so choose. Please note that we cannot be responsible for your travel to/from Japan as a result of the foreign spectator ban but we would also like to help accommodate your needs/plans based on your previous purchase(s).

Therefore, if you want to keep all ticket orders within your CoSport account intact, please fill in this short survey and submit to us by 11:59pm (EDT) on April 9, 2021.
We recognize this is a quick turnaround; however, it is based on the deadline we must meet to remove your tickets from the list of refund requests to the Organizing Committee.
The survey form allows you to identify each account for which you are requesting to keep your orders active.

Note: All orders within the CoSport Customer account either needs to be kept or processed as a Refund using the Refund Release Form Survey sent on March 27, 2021.
We hope this convenience is helpful in your planning for the Tokyo 2020 Games.
nnn likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Found on the interwebs, so who knows if legit, but...

So, the tickets are technically not cancelled, and Cosport is obligated to deliver them or offer a full refund. The only way they don't have to is if the customer "voluntarily" cancels.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
we'd LOVE to be the travel agent on record for your hotel stays. LMFAO. Anyone have any ACTUAL intel on what Japan or the IOC must have told to Cosport? Is this indeed for persons who perhaps have since moved to Japan, or is Japan considering allowing a SMALLER amount of tourists to come but doesn't want to tell anyone, so they're trying to collect as many cancellations as possible, first?
I think the phrase "accommodate your needs/plans based on your previous purchase(s)." just means that Co-sport will allow you to choose not to cancel your tickets. This is not an offer to arrange hotel stays.
The people to whom this applies are likely to be residents in Japan who purchased tickets through co-sport because they were living abroad at the time of purchase. I think you should forget about entering Japan between now and the olympics unless you're:
- A resident of Japan
- A Japanese citizen
- An athlete / coach / physio / umpire etc., involved in the olympics
- A diplomat
- A member of the US military traveling under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA)
- Carlos Ghosn (always welcome to return)
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
- Carlos Ghosn (always welcome to return)
ROFL
rustykettel likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...958431000.html

The DPRK won't be coming to the Tokyo Olympics due to Covid concerns for their athletes.
jib71 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by jib71
I think you should forget about entering Japan between now and the olympics unless...
Oh, then you don't know me. I'll find a way, unless the whole thing ends up looking extremely boring, which is possible... half the fun of the Olympic games is the idea of a big world party, everyone coming together.
None the less, I'll find a way.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...958431000.html

The DPRK won't be coming to the Tokyo Olympics due to Covid concerns for their athletes.
Don't you mean out of fear that one of the athletes tells the world that 50 percent of NK has COVID and 5-10 percent of them have died, while another 20 percent died from lack of food?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None the less, I'll find a way.
Well, as a Japan resident, I hope you don't mind that I am rooting against you.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:32 pm

Well, as a Japan resident, I hope you don't mind that I am rooting against you.
LOL, That's fine. I already had COVID, and will be getting my second Pfizer vaccine in a couple of weeks. I've been handed a Japanese flag from a Japanese competitor in Rio at the 2016 closing ceremony, rooted for Abe, done tons of planning and research, and I want to continue my tradition. If it means joining an athlete as part of their "Friends and family" with a few hundred dollars donation, so be it. It is likely to be that easy. #LIVING
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL, That's fine. I already had COVID, and will be getting my second Pfizer vaccine in a couple of weeks. I've been handed a Japanese flag from a Japanese competitor in Rio at the 2016 closing ceremony, rooted for Abe, done tons of planning and research, and I want to continue my tradition. If it means joining an athlete as part of their "Friends and family" with a few hundred dollars donation, so be it. It is likely to be that easy. #LIVING
Has something changed on the "friends and family" front?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/56461152

Thomas Bach, president of the International Olympic Committee, said the move is a "great sacrifice for everybody".

"We share the disappointment of all enthusiastic Olympic fans from around the world, and of course the families and friends of the athletes, who were planning to come to the Games," he said. "For this I am truly sorry."
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Has something changed on the "friends and family" front?
At least for the paralympics, where some athletes rely on family members for assistance, I feel there's likely to be some flexibility about the categories of people who are allowed to enter the country. In addition, Japan's vaccination program should be more advanced by then. Assuming North Korea doesn't send an olympic surprise...
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
If it means joining an athlete as part of their "Friends and family" with a few hundred dollars donation, so be it. It is likely to be that easy. #LIVING
Wait, this is your plan to illegally sneak into the country? I was expecting something a little more elaborate.

What a let down. Seems Ghosn set the bar too high.
hailstorm and Mizunara like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.