Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:54 pm

I was able to score the Hibiki Harmony Master’s Select Limited Edition packaging at Hong Kong International Airport yesterday for 1590 HKD. Seemed like they had quite a few stock in multiple duty free shops, but they were flying off the shelves real quick.

I plan to go to the Yamazaki distillery in a few days and was wondering if the gift shops accept credit card since the tasting room only accepts cash. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kenshinxl85
I was able to score the Hibiki Harmony Master’s Select Limited Edition packaging at Hong Kong International Airport yesterday for 1590 HKD. Seemed like they had quite a few stock in multiple duty free shops, but they were flying off the shelves real quick.

Good datapoint. It's a nice looking presentation, but reviews seem to suggest it's not a better dram than Harmony.

I plan to go to the Yamazaki distillery in a few days and was wondering if the gift shops accept credit card since the tasting room only accepts cash. Thanks in advance.
Gift shop takes credit card, but tax free is not available.

Last edited by jashsu; Sep 12, 2019 at 6:07 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
For everyone's information, this can be had for far cheaper at Changi -- around SGD 200 when I passed through in February.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Yes, they do.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:19 pm

Was able to get a bottle of Moon Glow 2018 LE for Y8500, Nikka Tailored for Y3200, and Yoichi Salt & Peaty for Y7600 online in Japan. Wasn't sure about Moon Glow 2018 but at that price I thought why not. Now I have been doing whisky hunt online instead of hopping from store to store... A lot times I was able to find the NAS on sale at lower than MSRP online!
Waiting on the next limited release of Suntory products. Haven't heard anything about any new releases yet...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Back in Tokyo for the first time in a couple of years and Shinjuku is pretty dried up. Over the past two days I went to BIC, Isetan, YaMaYa, Don Quixote, and Liquor Mountain coming up completely empty on anything age stated from any brand. To make matters worse, apparently the Park Hyatt stopped carrying the Hibiki 17 mini bottles in the minibar...

Picked up some American export exclusives at Shinanoya (which had better prices than anything on amazon.jp) and picked up some stock at this small liquor store right next to Liquor Mountain. I was able to grab the following;

Nikka 12 @ 7800Y
Nikka from the Barrell @ 3500Y
The Blend of Nikka @ 7800Y
Nikka Whisky The Blend @ 7800Y

I'm not too familiar with the Blend of Nikka's but figured for 7800Y, might as well give it a try.

Was able to grab IW Harper 12 @ 4700 Y and Wild Turkey 13 @ 4000 Y at Shinanoya.

Hopefully I'm able to report back with better news from Osaka.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by esquesk
To make matters worse, apparently the Park Hyatt stopped carrying the Hibiki 17 mini bottles in the minibar...
They still have them. Call housekeeping.

You can also pickup Nikka 12 at the airport for ¥5400.
gobi likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by invalyd

I pre-ordered mine here earlier this month for NRT:

https://www.fasola-shop.com/products...IKKA-12Y-700ML
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by invalyd

Thanks for this - I ended up grabbing 6 Hibiki 17 minis from them. I also have orders for 2 bottles of Nikka 12 at the airport (1 each with S/O) but was looking to scoop as many as I could find.

Today I went to Liquors Hasegawa and they had Y12 at 25K and Y18 at 75K. Ended up going the amazon.jp route and picked up some bottles;
Hibiki BC - 10K yen
Hibiki 21 - 54K yen
3x Nikka from the Barrel - 2.5K yen

Not too thrilled with the price on the H21 but I've come to the realization that I wasn't likely going to do better.
7473chad likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by esquesk
Thanks for this - I ended up grabbing 6 Hibiki 17 minis from them.
No problem. They have updated my room preferences at this point so when I arrive all whisky in the minibar is only Hibiki 17. Now that's Japanese hospitality
jashsu, antebellum and 7473chad like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:31 pm

The Mars Komagatake LE 2019 is out. It is around 8200 yen a bottle. Just put in an order. I suspect it probably taste similar to 2018 LE.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by james21_h
The Mars Komagatake LE 2019 is out. It is around 8200 yen a bottle. Just put in an order. I suspect it probably taste similar to 2018 LE.
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I found the 2018 LE to be nothing special and very young tasting. Mars is attempting to ride the premium Japanese Whiskey wave (and probably succeeding) but the quality of the liquid is not good. For $70-80 USD I could find many whiskeys that are far superior with similar finishing.
7473chad likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Pureboy
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I found the 2018 LE to be nothing special and very young tasting. Mars is attempting to ride the premium Japanese Whiskey wave (and probably succeeding) but the quality of the liquid is not good. For $70-80 USD I could find many whiskeys that are far superior with similar finishing.
Dramtastic seems to agree.
Buying Japanese Whisky in Japan 2019 Report | The Japanese Whisky Review
Pureboy and 7473chad like this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:28 am

Yes I do agree to that. It's a meh whisky but since my second son was born this year I figured having at least one LE 2019 bottling would be great. Hope this year's LE tastes better than last year. I don't hate the 2018 but don't like it much!
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Totally agree. Not a brand I am buying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.