Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

The NEW Priority Club, Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The NEW Priority Club, Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
What happens when you get upgraded like this after the beginning of your Ambassador year?

I was downgraded from RA to Plat with circa 45 nights total with 30+ IC nights and 2 brands (since I only really like to stay at IC's and the odd CP where I know they are decent. I broadly try to avoid HI's etc. like the plague). Nonetheless I spent over $25k on the stays I did have so feel rather aggrieved.

Due to Big Win I will be staying at a few HI's just for the sake of triggering the bonuses and getting the Big Win total. This is likely to push me North of 60 nights and >31 IC nights at more than 10 different IC's within the calendar year but my Ambassador year runs from October.

I really like IC's but Plat Ambassador benefits are pretty weak compared to SPG Plat and Hilton Diamond. It seems crazy to me that the only certain way to get a renewal is to spend $450 on a RA referral from ebay rather than spending North of $25k actually in IC properties.

Even if you fail to requalify as RA, and get gratis soft letdown to Plain ambassador, IHG still monitors your stay counts over a rolling 365 days.

So If you had stays of 60+ days in last 12 months, although only reached 2 months into your downgraded Ambassador year (2 months after RA renewal was not qualified) IHG should auto promote you to RA until end of your new Ambassador year with no prompting needed by you.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Even if you fail to requalify as RA, and get gratis soft letdown to Plain ambassador, IHG still monitors your stay counts over a rolling 365 days.

So If you had stays of 60+ days in last 12 months, although only reached 2 months into your downgraded Ambassador year (2 months after RA renewal was not qualified) IHG should auto promote you to RA until end of your new Ambassador year with no prompting needed by you.
But you get a diminishing period of RA I assume? If my year ends in September being upgraded to RA in February would suck, given that I would potentially only get 6 months or so of RA. If I didn't have RA my stays at IC's would also start to diminish since it becomes more appealing to stay at Starwoods or Hiltons than IC's without RA benefits.

I will use a referral from a friend if I don't get upgraded in the next few days. I still find it very strange though that since Ambassador is effectively an IC scheme why lots of nights at crappy HI's and HIX's in the middle of nowhere should trump considerable spend at IC's.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:30 am

But you get a diminishing period of RA I assume? If my year ends in September being upgraded to RA in February would suck, given that I would potentially only get 6 months or so of RA. If I didn't have RA my stays at IC's would also start to diminish since it becomes more appealing to stay at Starwoods or Hiltons than IC's without RA benefits.

I will use a referral from a friend if I don't get upgraded in the next few days. I still find it very strange though that since Ambassador is effectively an IC scheme why lots of nights at crappy HI's and HIX's in the middle of nowhere should trump considerable spend at IC's.

Well if one was just a few night short of requal as RA and got the free Ambassador downgrade, but had very few (or zero) stays in the first 4-6 weeks of ones past RA year, the opportunity is always there to book a few cheap HIX nights, checkin+leave but not sleep there, instead of buying on ebay or swapping in coupon connection.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: ICHotels, Qantas FF, Enrich
Hi,

Does anyone know when the RA Renewal will occur for 2014? My Ambassador status will expire on 31 Dec 2013, and, hopefully it still is, my Ambassador renewal will be included as a part of the RA renewal.

Cheers
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:09 pm

What happens when you get upgraded like this after the beginning of your Ambassador year?

I was downgraded from RA to Plat with circa 45 nights total with 30+ IC nights and 2 brands (since I only really like to stay at IC's and the odd CP where I know they are decent. I broadly try to avoid HI's etc. like the plague). Nonetheless I spent over $25k on the stays I did have so feel rather aggrieved.

Due to Big Win I will be staying at a few HI's just for the sake of triggering the bonuses and getting the Big Win total. This is likely to push me North of 60 nights and >31 IC nights at more than 10 different IC's within the calendar year but my Ambassador year runs from October.

I really like IC's but Plat Ambassador benefits are pretty weak compared to SPG Plat and Hilton Diamond. It seems crazy to me that the only certain way to get a renewal is to spend $450 on a RA referral from ebay rather than spending North of $25k actually in IC properties.
I guess since I dont stay at SPG and I moved from Hilton/Marriott to IHG, I don't get what benefits are being lost? I get free breakfast @ my IC, a free movie, a pretty awesome suite, and now free mini-bar. I sometimes miss the happy hour/free appetizers that come with a club room, but to me I get the free mini bar, I just miss the free appetizers. Since 100% of my stays I am on business, that isn't a big deal since my meals are business expenses. The points I have racked up in IHG have gone a lot farther for me than Marriott/Hilton (which was the main reason I moved) ---- so what am I missing @ SPG/others at IC's or IHG?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
I just received a RA referral cert, I'm currently plat. My question is that should I join the ambassador first, then mail in the cert, or just do it all in one step? If I choose option 1, what should I do about the payment section of the RA cert? Just ignore it since I'm already ambassador? Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
join ambassador first, get your BOGO and 5K code, then send in the RA after you receive your ambassador pack, and get your BOGO and 5 or 10k code with your RA pack

Originally Posted by rdchen
I just received a RA referral cert, I'm currently plat. My question is that should I join the ambassador first, then mail in the cert, or just do it all in one step? If I choose option 1, what should I do about the payment section of the RA cert? Just ignore it since I'm already ambassador? Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Thanks, how about the payment part on the RA cert? Should I just ignore it if I'm already ambassador?

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
join ambassador first, get your BOGO and 5K code, then send in the RA after you receive your ambassador pack, and get your BOGO and 5 or 10k code with your RA pack
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:47 am

yes no need for further payment

Originally Posted by rdchen
Thanks, how about the payment part on the RA cert? Should I just ignore it if I'm already ambassador?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Is it true that when they consider RA requalification that they take into account non paid stays?

ie. points nights, brgs, 241 nights etc?

I am showing 14 elite qualifying nights, but have had a lot of points stays etc
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Geoggy
Is it true that when they consider RA requalification that they take into account non paid stays?

ie. points nights, brgs, 241 nights etc?

I am showing 14 elite qualifying nights, but have had a lot of points stays etc
Definitely no credit for Award nights whether IC's or the other IHG Brands towards RA requal (or promotion from Ambassador to RA).

I know for definite, as in July/August, when I was checking if I'd requalified as RA after 11months, I was told by Ambassador Helpdesk, not quite as they see me as having enough IC stay nights in my total, but only 59 Total IHG nights and I needed 60.

On top of those 59 nights I had 20nights in IC's, CP's HI's as I burnt up lots of saved points summer 2012 due to report about account thefts points into emailed amazon vouchers.

So proven there is no RA credit for Award nights.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:47 pm

before the recent change, the consensus i believe was theat award nights didn't count towards RA but that the counted for number of IC's, for example, if you had paid nights at two IC's and award night/s at a third, that it would satisfy the three IC minimum

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Definitely no credit for Award nights whether IC's or the other IHG Brands towards RA requal (or promotion from Ambassador to RA).

I know for definite, as in July/August, when I was checking if I'd requalified as RA after 11months, I was told by Ambassador Helpdesk, not quite as they see me as having enough IC stay nights in my total, but only 59 Total IHG nights and I needed 60.

On top of those 59 nights I had 20nights in IC's, CP's HI's as I burnt up lots of saved points summer 2012 due to report about account thefts points into emailed amazon vouchers.

So proven there is no RA credit for Award nights.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
How long should it take to process a RA referral certificate at the moment (assume sent next day UPS)?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
How long should it take to process a RA referral certificate at the moment (assume sent next day UPS)?
My last two (June and Sep) took 6-8 weeks each from the date they got it. But from reading this thread that is on the higher side.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:35 pm

It was 7-10 work days after post received at Salt Lake for an IHG account to reflect the new RA status. The RA pack with card etc then arrives 4+ weeks later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.