Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

The NEW Priority Club, Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Master Thread

The NEW Priority Club, Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Master Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scubaccr
It was 7-10 work days after post received at Salt Lake for an IHG account to reflect the new RA status. The RA pack with card etc then arrives 4+ weeks later.
Thanks, I need to dig out the receipt and check the delivery tracking.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:17 pm
HxK

My RA status will expire in the next days, as I did not re-qualify.

If my understanding is right, I will automatically get a 'soft landing' towards the normal Ambassador status, or do I need to do anything particular for that? And, would that bring a me another BOGO Weekend night voucher?

Any ideas how I could extend my RA status - without paying hundreds of $$$ on ebay for a referral?

Rgds,
HxK
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by HxK

If my understanding is right, I will automatically get a 'soft landing' towards the normal Ambassador status, or do I need to do anything particular for that? And, would that bring a me another BOGO Weekend night voucher?

Any ideas how I could extend my RA status - without paying hundreds of $$$ on ebay for a referral?

Rgds,
HxK
yes you'll get a BOGO with your Ambassador pack, you cld always attempt to trade something on Coupon Connection for a RA referral
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HxK

Rgds,
HxK
1)auto soft landing to Ambassador (no actions needed by you) + pack with keyfob, bogo (no 5k points though)

2)Only way to get RA is to either i)earn on stays ii)use a referral

3)Don't know if of any comfort/help, but based on my requal Aug2013, you need i)total IHG Branded Qual Nights of 60+ ii)of which 30 need be IC hotels iii)3x Different IC hotels stayed at
(Award nights at any brand have no weighting for nights count (even if post July2013 nights), although some believe an IC award night might help with 3x IC's requirememt)

Your IC, IHG Brand Stays nights in last 365 rolling stays are still monitored, so even if you miss the RA re-qual at 12months, depending on how many nights drop off in first 1-8 weeks of new Ambassador year, a bunch of stays could mean you hit the target needed to re-earn RA shortly after your downgrade!
SO... if you stayed a fair few IC, and CP/HI/HIE etc nights, and are only a few nights short, and did not stay any/many nights the first, say 8weeks of your previous RA year, you could stay in those 8weeks , so that your rolling 12months/365 days triggers RA renewal , albeit upto 8 weeks late meaning you get RA for just 10months.

If you think you were close, tally up your IC + other IHG brand nights by calendar month, as if you 30+ IC nights, then you could matress run some local cheap HIE, checkin+leave, to hit the IHG Total stays.
Also if close, ring Amb Line, check with a Supervisor how many nights he sees, Supervisor can see your last 365 IC/non-IC nights totals which may help you decide if it is worth investing in a HIE mattress run.

PS
Expect eg Ebay Referrals to increase in price (and risk of it) .. AS ... since October2013, IHG is enforcing rule that "Referred RA's may not refer even if they accidentally come into pocession of a referral cert" and IHG quietly updated T+C's with text to this effect. (So will be less referral certs around, and earned RA's getting a 2nd refera cert can not hand on to anyone to use any more)

Last edited by scubaccr; Nov 19, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm in the same situation that I think I will very, very likley loose my RA due to less stays this year (less attractive promos, new rules, etc.).

Normally I would have gotten the information about the soft landing to Amb by now (8 days till my RA expires), but nothing yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does happen as it is nice to at least save the 150 or 200 US$ Amb renewal fee.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by demue
I'm in the same situation that I think I will very, very likley loose my RA due to less stays this year (less attractive promos, new rules, etc.).

Normally I would have gotten the information about the soft landing to Amb by now (8 days till my RA expires), but nothing yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does happen as it is nice to at least save the 150 or 200 US$ Amb renewal fee.
Beause a few of nights were manually adjusted by amb helpdesk, the RA tracking ignored a few of my qualifying nights, leaving me one night short instead of 4-5 over.

So you will probably see same as I saw ....
As such my Platinum Royal Ambassador Counted down from 60 to 0 days, on the -1 day, account display changed from Plat RA Aug 2013 0 days --> Ambassador Aug2014 with no countdown

Then on Sept 2nd i had Amb Helpdesk check, and they manually made me RA again which appeared 5minutes later.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Renewal of the Ambassador Membership

When I renewed my membership, earlier this year, I was offered at least 2 choices:
- $150 for the basic renewal, which includes a BOGO certificate and, I believe, 5000 pts.
- $200 for an improved membership, with the same BOGO certificate, a 10% refund on reward stays and, I believe, 10,000 pts.

When I received the offer, I called the Ambassador desk to find out if the offer of the 10% refund on reward stays was in conflict with the same offer that Chase Priority Club Visa has. I was told that the 2 were independant and that I would get both refund if I was to choose the $200 renewal offer.

I completed 2 reward nights beginning of October at an IC property and received 10,000 pts back from Chase. Today, I called again the Ambassador desk to find out when I would get the 10,000 pts from IHG.
The agent of that center in Asia kept giving me replies that were unrelated to my concern, so I asked her if she could transfer me to a supervisor.
The supervisor advised me that the policy was to grant a 10% refund on the reward nights booked prior to the renewal of the membership, even if these nights were spent after the renewal of the Ambassador status (which does not make a lot of sense, as, when aware of that policy, one could very well cancel the reward bookings and book the nights again after the renewal).
I asked the supervisor to indicate where I could see that policy that I had not seen at the time of the renewal or on the email confirming the renewal.
She spent some time looking for it on the website, but concluded that it was not there.
After lengthy discussions, she offered to credit only one night out of the two (10% on 50,000 instead of 100,000), as a "courtesy". I thanked her for it, but asked to speak to her supervisor, with whom she had spoken earlier, to check what she could do and to expose the unfairness (if not illegality) of a rule that is not listed anywhere, prior to the purchase of the membership.
This supervisor confirmed the 5,000 pts but would not grant me the ones expected, even though she could not, as weill, indicate where that rule could be found.

Any lawyer looking for a class action lawsuit?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by UASPG
When I renewed my membership, earlier this year, I was offered at least 2 choices:
- $150 for the basic renewal, which includes a BOGO certificate and, I believe, 5000 pts.
- $200 for an improved membership, with the same BOGO certificate, a 10% refund on reward stays and, I believe, 10,000 pts.

When I received the offer, I called the Ambassador desk to find out if the offer of the 10% refund on reward stays was in conflict with the same offer that Chase Priority Club Visa has. I was told that the 2 were independant and that I would get both refund if I was to choose the $200 renewal offer.

I completed 2 reward nights beginning of October at an IC property and received 10,000 pts back from Chase. Today, I called again the Ambassador desk to find out when I would get the 10,000 pts from IHG.
The agent of that center in Asia kept giving me replies that were unrelated to my concern, so I asked her if she could transfer me to a supervisor.
The supervisor advised me that the policy was to grant a 10% refund on the reward nights booked prior to the renewal of the membership, even if these nights were spent after the renewal of the Ambassador status (which does not make a lot of sense, as, when aware of that policy, one could very well cancel the reward bookings and book the nights again after the renewal).
I asked the supervisor to indicate where I could see that policy that I had not seen at the time of the renewal or on the email confirming the renewal.
She spent some time looking for it on the website, but concluded that it was not there.
After lengthy discussions, she offered to credit only one night out of the two (10% on 50,000 instead of 100,000), as a "courtesy". I thanked her for it, but asked to speak to her supervisor, with whom she had spoken earlier, to check what she could do and to expose the unfairness (if not illegality) of a rule that is not listed anywhere, prior to the purchase of the membership.
This supervisor confirmed the 5,000 pts but would not grant me the ones expected, even though she could not, as weill, indicate where that rule could be found.

Any lawyer looking for a class action lawsuit?

Seems the wrong way round here based on FTer posts by those with Amb 10% refund of award points.

If you buy the $200 Ambassador with 10% Points rebate, it was stated only Award nights booked whilst you were in that newly purchased year get a 10% refund, ++ any award nights booked earlier, before purchase of new and current rebatable year get nothing back.

The advice in FT forum here is, after signing up for the points rebatable Ambassador Year,
a)Rebook all your original Award nights booked earlier (that are still available)
b)Cancel the original Award nights you just rebooked

Alas if Award nights are not rebooked, then no 10% rebate occurs.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Seems the wrong way round here based on FTer posts by those with Amb 10% refund of award points.

If you buy the $200 Ambassador with 10% Points rebate, it was stated only Award nights booked whilst you were in that newly purchased year get a 10% refund, ++ any award nights booked earlier, before purchase of new and current rebatable year get nothing back.

The advice in FT forum here is, after signing up for the points rebatable Ambassador Year,
a)Rebook all your original Award nights booked earlier (that are still available)
b)Cancel the original Award nights you just rebooked

Alas if Award nights are not rebooked, then no 10% rebate occurs.
I check several boards on FT, but, unfortunately, not this one. If I was, I probably would have gotten the warning.

I guess that I figured this out after my phone with the Ambassador desk ("which does not make a lot of sense, as, when aware of that policy, one could very well cancel the reward bookings and book the nights again after the renewal").

This being said, I don't think that it is right that the policy cannot be found anywhere or that it is not stated on the email confirmation, after the sign up, to be reviewed afterwards (unless it is actually somewhere - besides FT - and the supervisor was misinformed).

Last edited by UASPG; Nov 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Did I just get a really nice gift from IHG?

When the RA calendar changed this past year, my requal went from Jun 2012 - May 2013 and thus I missed my RA requal. Wasn't happy but a mostly-conscious decision as I added Hyatt Diamond to the list of shiny cards.

In May I got my downgrade letter that included soft landing to Amb. Given most of the year I was requalifying for Hilton/Hyatt, I had very few stays at IHG.

Recently been staying more, but only have around 20 nights for the year. I keep plat with the IHG Visa.

Anyway, I get an AMB packet in the mail the other day saying congratulations on being upgraded from Gold Ambassador to Platinum Ambassador. New shiny card says expiration of status May 2015. Account online says May 2014 still.

This happen to anyone else? What is my real Amb expiration? It seems like when I crossed 60K elite qualifying points it triggered this. Is this just good fortune?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was 7-10 work days after post received at Salt Lake for an IHG account to reflect the new RA status. The RA pack with card etc then arrives 4+ weeks later.
I sent my voucher on the 7th.

It was signed for on the 12th and my account still hasn't upgraded

I want to book some IC stays but am reluctant to do so until my RA status is recognised?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I sent my voucher on the 7th.

It was signed for on the 12th and my account still hasn't upgraded

I want to book some IC stays but am reluctant to do so until my RA status is recognised?
OK, excluding day signed for, that is only 8 working days now, I hope you see something soon, certainly by end of week.

It is status at time of stay that counts, so if stays are more than 7days away I would risk bookng now,

Make sure your referreer is an "Earned RA" as in October2013 IHG changed t+c's to say referred RA's can not refer other Ambassadors (even if they come into pocession of a refferal cert)

No point really calling Phillippines Ambassador desk on this issue, but you can email " [email protected]" right away, asking and saying you need to book stays, and should get reply within 3days.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Beause a few of nights were manually adjusted by amb helpdesk, the RA tracking ignored a few of my qualifying nights, leaving me one night short instead of 4-5 over.

So you will probably see same as I saw ....
As such my Platinum Royal Ambassador Counted down from 60 to 0 days, on the -1 day, account display changed from Plat RA Aug 2013 0 days --> Ambassador Aug2014 with no countdown

Then on Sept 2nd i had Amb Helpdesk check, and they manually made me RA again which appeared 5minutes later.
Thanks. so I guess I will wait till it goes to 0 or negative days and see if it turns over then. I got two more IC nights on the last 2 days of the validity of RA, but I'm quite confident I will lose it as I burned a lot of points instead of spending and hence won't have enough paid stays.

That's alright though, but I wouldn't mind the free Amb soft-landing.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, excluding day signed for, that is only 8 working days now, I hope you see something soon, certainly by end of week.

It is status at time of stay that counts, so if stays are more than 7days away I would risk bookng now,

Make sure your referreer is an "Earned RA" as in October2013 IHG changed t+c's to say referred RA's can not refer other Ambassadors (even if they come into pocession of a refferal cert)

No point really calling Phillippines Ambassador desk on this issue, but you can email " [email protected]" right away, asking and saying you need to book stays, and should get reply within 3days.
Isn't it more effective calling the US number? I have found them much more helpful than the Philippines folks I get when using the UK number?

The RA who referred me was definitely earned RA, the irony is that I am now very close to a proper RA qualification too I think I am at 58 nights now this year with over 30 IC.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Isn't it more effective calling the US number? I have found them much more helpful than the Philippines folks I get when using the UK number?

The RA who referred me was definitely earned RA, the irony is that I am now very close to a proper RA qualification too I think I am at 58 nights now this year with over 30 IC.
To best of my knowledge both UK + USA numbers route to Manila Philippines call center.

I always use USA number though as it is freephone 0800 so can use Skype and avoid a bill, but end up with Manila operators. Some of them have really excellent English language skills, no American accents though, which gives the game away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.