Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

The NEW Priority Club, Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The NEW Priority Club, Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by alantraveler
I called IHG three times over the past 3 weeks to find out about upgrading my status from Platinum Ambassador to RA.
Originally Posted by paul.goffin
If your not staying in IC Properties why would you want RA Status?
Why would you even want to pay for Ambassador status if you never stay at IC hotels?

Your other IHG nights don't matter at all. This is why I'm dropping IHG and moving to Hilton/Marriott properties.
Again, I'm not sure what you are getting upset about? With your travel profile your program is Priority Club, not ambassador. And you have reached the highest level there. So why would you now want to drop it completely? (And have you looked at the average price difference between HI/HIX and Marriot/Hilton?)

But it would make sense to move at least some stays every year to another program. Getting Gold at Hilton for instance can seriously improve your travel experience.

Last edited by Koby; Jul 25, 2011 at 11:58 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Koby
But it would make sense to move at least some stays every year to another program. Getting Gold at Hilton for instance can seriously improve your travel experience.
Agree, what with the bonus's and the amount of night you use - it would be quite easy to keep plat and also get elite status with other programs.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:42 pm

1. They told me 60-80 nights on 3 separate occasions. I'm just repeating what they said for everyone else, but you're welcome to call them and ask. Maybe they lied to me...
2. RA is worth between $500-$1,000 if you sell the referral certificate. It'd be worth it to me just for that, but I do stay at IC hotels when I go on vacation, just not 60+ nights a year. If I got the benefits of RA for those nights that I do stay at IC hotels (probably about 10-15/year), RA would be worth it.
3. You're right though: I just hit Diamond with Hilton and it's so much more valuable than my PC platinum!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:44 pm

3. You're right though: I just hit Diamond with Hilton and it's so much more valuable than my PC platinum!
I should have looked at your profile...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: FB Gold (ST Elite+), AZ Freccia Alata (ST Elite+), CI Gold (ST Elite), TK M&M Silver (*A Silver)
Question

Hi all,

Can I just ask another question here: my Ambassador membership year runs from June to June and I was referred and upgraded to Royal Ambassador in May (after renewing my regular Ambassador membership until 2012).

I just received another RA portfolio which has a letter in it stating that they are "delighted to extend complimentary renewal of my Royal Ambassador status for another year". The accompanying RA card has an expiry date of 09/2012, so I'm a bit confused here...

A) why am I getting this portfolio /renewal letter and
B) if it is correct, how come the expiration date is 09/2012?
C) is my membership now indeed valid until 09/2012 or (if I don't re qualify) does it end on 06/2012?

The Ambassador member services desk doesn't seem to have a straight answer to these questions, so maybe someone here have had a same /similar situation and could share their experiences here...

Looking forward to hearing from you guys...
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
BTW, handing out the royal ambassador vouchers is a very, very clever incentive from priorityclub to gain revenue. once a voucher recipient gets all the perks, he wants to retain the status and tries to stay as many times in IC properties to requalify for another year. that's at least with all the people I know who became royal ambassadors the referral way.

I also stayed at IHG properties whenever I needed a hotel within the last qualification period and spent much more money (booking just qualifying room rates) instead of choosing the cheapest option.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
Gratis Platinum Ambassador

Hello all. I usually stay in Hilton and Marriotts but i have a few stays coming up in Intercontinentals so i emailed customer services asking for a status match to tempt me to move to the Intercontinental brand. They promptly gave me Platinum Ambassador status. Is this normal?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Welcome to FT ^

I'd say you've done very well to get free Ambassador. Platinum is easy to get matched to - but I've not heard of a match to Plat Amb before. Hope you enjoy it
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by markdg
Welcome to FT ^

I'd say you've done very well to get free Ambassador. Platinum is easy to get matched to - but I've not heard of a match to Plat Amb before. Hope you enjoy it
Thanks Mark. I assume it was probably a clerical error, i'll keep quiet!!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by baakhtar
Hello all. I usually stay in Hilton and Marriotts but i have a few stays coming up in Intercontinentals so i emailed customer services asking for a status match to tempt me to move to the Intercontinental brand. They promptly gave me Platinum Ambassador status. Is this normal?
Aside from enrollment bonuses I don't see much value to PL AMB over regular PL. I've had it for two years and probably won't renew it next year.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: priority club, aeroplan, air miles
We have Platinum Status and will have some future trips that will include IC hotels. How does one use points to buy status? I couldn't find a link on the Ambassador website. Do they upgrade on reward stays? Thank you.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire
Originally Posted by slovak1
We have Platinum Status and will have some future trips that will include IC hotels. How does one use points to buy status? I couldn't find a link on the Ambassador website. Do they upgrade on reward stays? Thank you.
If you are logged in to the PC site just click on the link to the Ambassador website from your account status page. Then click on the Upgrade now link and it gives you the option to buy for 200 USD or 32K points.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Do you get full RA benefits on F&F rates?

Do Royal ambassadors get full RA benefits on Friends and Family rates? Or does it depend on the property.

There was a semi-recent post I searched on flyertalk stating that any revenue based booking(ie. not award bookings) should incur full RA benefits, but there was no follow up posting on it on that thread.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by allensun
Do Royal ambassadors get full RA benefits on Friends and Family rates? Or does it depend on the property.

There was a semi-recent post I searched on flyertalk stating that any revenue based booking(ie. not award bookings) should incur full RA benefits, but there was no follow up posting on it on that thread.
Nope. Some properties might but as a general rule nope.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by lallyr
Nope. Some properties might but as a general rule nope.
Thanks for the information! I did some more research on this and it turns out that no RA benefits are guaranteed for:

1) Award Bookings (any including points+cash)
2) F&F Rates

(of course, some properties will give some benefits; depends, but IHG does not mandate that the hotel require RA benefits to be provided).

However, some interesting information I found was that RA benefits are indeed guaranteed for:

1) Rooms booked at 3rd party websites (orbitz, expedia, etc.). This one completely surprised me.
2) BOGO rates
3) Advanced purchase
4) Corporate rates
5) Rates from BRG (Best Rate Guarantee)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.