Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by stimpy
I was there a week.......my silk pants
I was sorry to hear about your incident.

One day I am hoping to bump into you and buy you a drink, but I have no idea what you look like.

Now I'll be looking for a gentleman in Bangkok wearing stained silk pants. On my last visit I recall seeing more than one person fitting this description in one establishments I visited.

Last edited by midnight; Apr 14, 2013 at 8:57 pm
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: IHG
Deleted

Last edited by midnight; Apr 14, 2013 at 12:11 pm Reason: Posted twice in error
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I was there a week ago or so and got the usual card from the GM and saw the same old staff as always. However I had an incident with a new server in the club who spilled some coffee creme on my silk pants. The hotel doesn't seem to want to reimburse me, instead offering a suite on my next stay or a limo. I said neither has much value to me, and certainly nowhere near the value of the pants. Plus I have no idea of when I will be back. So basically zero compensation for ruining an expensive pair of pants.
I don't even have silk pajama's let alone silk pants. What colour are those pants?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: TK E+
To me, IC BKK have gradually decreased in quality over the last year or so. It used to be a really nice property, but lately I think it have sunk to a level where it's not worth the relatively high price.

In addition to some minor effects due to cost savings (like buffet quality in the Club), the main problem to me seems to be the lack of proper training of the staff. If somethings goes wrong, and it very often do now at this hotel, it's often very difficult to find anyone that takes responsibility and seem genuine interested in helping you out. I have had issues with everything from lost laundry, wrong food delivered by room service, hotel change booking without reason or notice to heavily overcharging of my CC. I don't know why it is like this here now, it didn't use to be like that, but the fact is that I'm taking my 40 or so BKK nights elsewhere in 2013 because of the way I was treated here in 2012.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by aulrik
To me, IC BKK have gradually decreased in quality over the last year or so. It used to be a really nice property, but lately I think it have sunk to a level where it's not worth the relatively high price.
That are my feelings as well, I got thanked a lot for being an RA. She thanked me for being an RA and than told me my minibar charges, now basic training should have catched that.

Out of interest which property will you move to?

I can't make up my mind and I have 5 nights coming very shortly.

All I want is good room service, good Internet and a very comfy bed with a room that allows me to work and sleep.

After 10 years in the IC it is time to change, the value for money and frustration is too high.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sven60035
That are my feelings as well, I got thanked a lot for being an RA. She thanked me for being an RA and than told me my minibar charges, now basic training should have catched that.

All I want is good room service, good Internet and a very comfy bed with a room that allows me to work and sleep.

After 10 years in the IC it is time to change, the value for money and frustration is too high.
The front desk agent who doesn't know about RA mini-bar can and does happen all over the world. And similar issues with all the hotel chains. There is just too much turnover with front desk agents. That said I had no problems with the club agents on my recent stay and all was well other than the spillage. There are several other properties nearby that are at the same class, such as the Grand Hyatt, Sofitel, JW, Conrad, Sheraton and Westin. So lots of choices. But as long as I have RA status I will probably stay at the IC BKK.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:45 pm

I also was fairly unhappy with my last stays at the IC Bangkok.
It is the multitude of issues at the hotel, the lack of training, not enough staff, long waits etc. All of us know that things can go wrong occasionally. But if the go wrong constantly it becomes an issue.

I will try out the new Crowne Plaza on Sukumvit (just a few stops down the road on the skytrain) next week.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:54 pm

I also was fairly unhappy with my last stays at the IC Bangkok.
It is the multitude of issues at the hotel, the lack of training, not enough staff, long waits etc. All of us know that things can go wrong occasionally. But if the go wrong constantly it becomes an issue.

I will try out the new Crowne Plaza on Sukumvit (just a few stops down the road on the skytrain) next week.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Unterwegs

It's a nice enough hotel, in a location I prefer to the IC's. Not so far from the price of the IC, but some way off in quality.

The few stops involve a change, or a hike to Ratchadamri. And if you use a taxi to get to the hotel, beware some drivers STILL recognise it as the Pan Pacific.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's a nice enough hotel, in a location I prefer to the IC's. Not so far from the price of the IC, but some way off in quality.

The few stops involve a change, or a hike to Ratchadamri. And if you use a taxi to get to the hotel, beware some drivers STILL recognise it as the Pan Pacific.
Thank you for the information.

What about the new Holiday Inn? Seems to be a new hotel, was not able to find much about it. The rate is less than half of the IC and seems to be in a fairly good location. Tripadvisor has only 2 reviews, both excellent.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sven60035

Suggest the Four Seasons just down the street- for room service and comfy bed it is the best hotel in Bangkok. Internet is just OK. Best Internet FYI I have found in Bangkok is the aLoft on S11 where not only is it free but is consistently 10 mbps.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
I stayed here for 4 days a couple of weeks ago and was largely satisfied. Had requested a club upgrade in advance, but on checkin downstairs (around midnight), found out that they'd upgraded me to a suite without club access. A quick word with the duty manager and she offered to let me have both the suite and club as an exception. Good service recovery ^

I didn't find the club food lacking at all. There was plenty at both breakfast and evening canapes. But the reduction of lounge staff was glaring and the few that are left are really overworked, often by over-entitled middle-eastern guests.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Suggest the Four Seasons just down the street- for room service and comfy bed it is the best hotel in Bangkok. Internet is just OK. Best Internet FYI I have found in Bangkok is the aLoft on S11 where not only is it free but is consistently 10 mbps.
Well we are talking about a completely different price range here, and I have to disagree in that the Oriental is by far the best hotel in Bangkok, and indeed all of Asia. It is generally voted the best hotel in the world by most surveys. After I checked out of the IC and finished my business, I moved over to the Oriental for some real luxury. ^
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Savage25
I stayed here for 4 days a couple of weeks ago and was largely satisfied. Had requested a club upgrade in advance, but on checkin downstairs (around midnight), found out that they'd upgraded me to a suite without club access. A quick word with the duty manager and she offered to let me have both the suite and club as an exception. Good service recovery ^

I didn't find the club food lacking at all. There was plenty at both breakfast and evening canapes. But the reduction of lounge staff was glaring and the few that are left are really overworked, often by over-entitled middle-eastern guests.
I never make advanced requests and always get Club. And I agree that the food was fine. One of the regular girls in the club who I have seen for at least 3 years at this hotel told me she is almost finished with school and will soon transfer to the IC Miami, at least for a while.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well we are talking about a completely different price range here, and I have to disagree in that the Oriental is by far the best hotel in Bangkok, and indeed all of Asia. It is generally voted the best hotel in the world by most surveys. After I checked out of the IC and finished my business, I moved over to the Oriental for some real luxury. ^
To be clear- I was writing for:
1) Room Service
and
2) Comfortable Bed

My opinion for these particular two criteria is that the Four Seasons is the best hotel in Bangkok. I won't start a debate about the Oriental- it is a wonderful hotel to be sure.

It seems strange to me that the IC has gone downhill- especially given all the new competition in and around Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.