Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by judyush
Or would it be more helpful if i rang Ambassador line to book?
Actually it would be best to ring the hotel directly. They are VERY experienced with Amb's and RA's here and will tell you right away how your upgrade will work.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Booked AMB weekend in Jan 14 with a Deluxe room and was upgraded to Club room

How far is the hotel away fro MBK centre!!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Rusell
I usually walk there. Maybe 15-20 minutes. It is a long walk, but always interesting.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite close to MBK. You have two ways of getting there from the IC:
1: Walk on the overhead walkways to Paragon, from there cut over the Siam Square- which then connects with a glass bridge to the Discovery centre on level 4- exit out of Discovery Centre on level 3 in the direction of the signs for the BTS (Skytrain) and then follow the overhead walkway into MBK. This is often the fastest and I find the easiest if you don't mind a walk of about 15 minutes (of which 7 are air conditioned and 8 are outside but on the overhead walkways).

2: Take the BTS to Siam, Change at Siam to National Station- at National Station walk out and follow the signs to MBK (clearly marked). While this option sounds easier it is not because changing at Siam will be very busy indeed usually.

I would take option 1 unless the rain was torrential as you are covered almost the entire way anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Quite close to MBK. You have two ways of getting there from the IC:
1: Walk on the overhead walkways to Paragon, from there cut over the Siam Square- which then connects with a glass bridge to the Discovery centre on level 4- exit out of Discovery Centre on level 3 in the direction of the signs for the BTS (Skytrain) and then follow the overhead walkway into MBK. This is often the fastest and I find the easiest if you don't mind a walk of about 15 minutes (of which 7 are air conditioned and 8 are outside but on the overhead walkways).

2: Take the BTS to Siam, Change at Siam to National Station- at National Station walk out and follow the signs to MBK (clearly marked). While this option sounds easier it is not because changing at Siam will be very busy indeed usually.

I would take option 1 unless the rain was torrential as you are covered almost the entire way anyway.
Thanks guys...the rest of my party are staying at Pathunwan Princess so i need an easy way getting there.

Is the IC strict on club access as some of my party want to join me for evening canopes.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks guys...the rest of my party are staying at Pathunwan Princess so i need an easy way getting there.

Is the IC strict on club access as some of my party want to join me for evening canopes.
I am quite sure you will have to pay for their access- with all the great places to eat and drink in Bangkok (and there are thousands) don't do it- just go somewhere "outside" the hotel. The Pathunwan Princess I have one more little shortcut which will save you 2 or 3 minutes I would take- when heading from Discovery Centre to MBK- instead of continuing to walk inside to MBK (it is directly connected to the overhead walkway)- walk down the steps and past the McDonalds (you will see it), and into the front entrance of the hotel. MBK is quite mad (in terms of the size and density of the crowds) on some days.

Interesting I did stay once at the Pathunwan Princess about a year ago and it wasn't too bad of a hotel at all really. Much better than I expected and very nice staff and newly renovated rooms with free wifi.

But it is certainly not the IC....
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I am quite sure you will have to pay for their access- with all the great places to eat and drink in Bangkok (and there are thousands) don't do it- just go somewhere "outside" the hotel. The Pathunwan Princess I have one more little shortcut which will save you 2 or 3 minutes I would take- when heading from Discovery Centre to MBK- instead of continuing to walk inside to MBK (it is directly connected to the overhead walkway)- walk down the steps and past the McDonalds (you will see it), and into the front entrance of the hotel. MBK is quite mad (in terms of the size and density of the crowds) on some days.

Interesting I did stay once at the Pathunwan Princess about a year ago and it wasn't too bad of a hotel at all really. Much better than I expected and very nice staff and newly renovated rooms with free wifi.

But it is certainly not the IC....
Thanks for the extra walk savings.

I stayed at the Pathunwan 6 yrs ago and it was a nice hotel back then, so convienent as you can walk straight into MBK.

So the IC is better huh?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I stayed at the Pathunwan 6 yrs ago and it was a nice hotel back then, so convienent as you can walk straight into MBK.

So the IC is better huh?
is that a rhetoric question? aehm yes it is by far
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q

So the IC is better huh?
Bit like comparing MBK to say..the Paragon
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by demue
is that a rhetoric question? aehm yes it is by far
haha just checking.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Stayed here for 3 nights last week on a negotiated corp (group?) rate. Was supposedly upgraded to a Deluxe room on 26th Floor but the room smelled a bit musty (maybe too close to shared HVAC with smoking floors 24/25) so I requested a move and ended up with a nice room on the 31st floor. Fairly spacious and the bathroom was large as well with lots of counter space. That being said the property is definitely inferior to the newer St. Regis where I stayed earlier in the week. WiFi was pretty good throughout hotel. Did not miss the lounge as the breakfast buffet was massive - as a Plat also received free local calls and 2 piece of laundry (per stay). Strangely the restaurant at the HI next door had a better lunch buffet than the IC - go figure.

The location is good - just across from a skyway station and with 7-11 and starbucks across the street if you want to stock up on cokes, snacks, etc. Do not make the mistake of taking a taxi at rush hour - took me almost an hour to take a roundabout route up Sukhumvit that was only 10m on BTS. For those looking for no-fee ATMs, there is an Aeon ATM on the 2nd floor of the mall just up the street.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
First time staying here - and so far it's impressed. Received 2 welcome drinks as Gold, chocolates and apples in room as welcome gift, International newspaper, and 2pm late checkout, 6 free water bottles daily and free fast internet. Well appointed, comfy bed, nicely working AC and nice work desk with actual office chair. Plenty of Int'l outlets, safe and iron/board. DVD player and large screen TV with HBO. Very friendly service, decent size rooms and wonderful rainfall shower. Perfect location right across from BTS and walking distance to Central World. Decent price too - about the same as the Starwood properties I generally stay at.

Only poor part so far has been the food. Buffet lunch was very poor quality and lacking in seafood and veggie options.

Also there is an Indian restaurant downstairs (Bawarchi) which was absolutely terrible. And the worst service ever - I think the staff is paid not to smile. Don't even think of going there.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Can't vouch for the buffet lunch but the buffet breakfast we had for 3 days over New Years period was pretty good including very decent coffee which is not a given.

BTW, the Indian restaurant and all the others downstairs (e.g. the bl**dy shark fin place) do not belong to the hotel, but are tenants of the President's Arcade. So you can't blame the IC for that.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
I usually walk there. Maybe 15-20 minutes. It is a long walk, but always interesting.
And it can be hot and sticky, I'd rather take a taxi even if it is stuck in traffic as it is so cheap.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sweets61250
If you are an Amb, and you book Executive, you will get Club with Club access.
This is good to know. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.