Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:49 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by shoven
Have any RA stayed yet? Curious to know what the upgrade situation is like.

I'm booked next week and the room categories are limited that can be booked. I have booked the base room as no point me booking a club room which is the only other type coming up.

The Kimpton gave me a couple of the best upgrades I have had when I stayed in BKK Nov/ Dec so hoping the IC remembers how many nights I was doing there before it closed or it may be a short lived return.
​​​As HadesNL mentioned, best to check with the hotel in your case as I think you may be better off at Kimpton for good upgrades. A colleague stayed just a week ago and he was saying no suites ready yet - though I can't swear by it.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:38 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by demue
​​​As HadesNL mentioned, best to check with the hotel in your case as I think you may be better off at Kimpton for good upgrades. A colleague stayed just a week ago and he was saying no suites ready yet - though I can't swear by it.
Thanks for the information, this is annoying: I hope that they finish at least the junior suites until my planned stay in early August.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:56 pm

Trying to decide between the Kimpton Maa Lai, Intercontinental, and Conrad.

Any thoughts? They all seem to be priced about the same, Kimpton seems to have the most favorable reviews. Any location advantages of them? I don't care about upgrades or anything like that.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Trying to decide between the Kimpton Maa Lai, Intercontinental, and Conrad.

Any thoughts? They all seem to be priced about the same, Kimpton seems to have the most favorable reviews. Any location advantages of them? I don't care about upgrades or anything like that.
This hotel is connected to the Skywalk and BTS. Kimpton is tucked in a residential area. Kimpton is probably a lot quieter due to its residential location while all floors of the IC probably hear the BTS stopping.
Sandeep1 likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 28, 2023 at 4:27 pm
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It really depends on the vibe you want. Kimpton Maa Lai has a very hiso young thai attendance. Crowd is 25-35 with a mix of families and single friends. It has a nice rooftop with several restaurants. The rooms and pool area are quiet but the main floor will be full of people but not crowded. The area has several restaurants from a couple other hotels as well as a nice upscale “mall” of sorts. It’s a 15 minute walk to the nearest BTS and a 15 min walk to Lumpini. For me it’s perfect as I’ve been to bangkok many times. Note that the base rooms are quite large.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:04 pm

I am only familiar with the Kimpton and the IC - both this year.

The IC has the far better location for restaurants, shopping etc. There is Centralworld, Big C and a few others within a few minutes, often connected via pedestrian bridges and there is a BTS station direct in front, but it can be a bit noisy especially on the lower floors.
The Kimpton is the far better and nicer hotel (even after the IC renovation), but it is a bit isolated in a more green and more quiet area and it requires more walking, Taxi, Grab,,,,.
The IC has a club lounge, the Kimpton has not.
Breakfast at the Kimpton is far, far superior compared to the IC.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I am only familiar with the Kimpton and the IC - both this year.

The IC has the far better location for restaurants, shopping etc. There is Centralworld, Big C and a few others within a few minutes, often connected via pedestrian bridges and there is a BTS station direct in front, but it can be a bit noisy especially on the lower floors.
The Kimpton is the far better and nicer hotel (even after the IC renovation), but it is a bit isolated in a more green and more quiet area and it requires more walking, Taxi, Grab,,,,.
The IC has a club lounge, the Kimpton has not.
Breakfast at the Kimpton is far, far superior compared to the IC.
Kimpton it is Thank you!
Old Jul 30, 2023, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

After a few nights at the IC Bangkok my observations: I am currently at the IC Saigon and was staying at the Kimpton in Bangkok earlier this year and I am using them as reference points:
- They are not selling suites yet, but have several levels of what seems to be the same room (just different floors etc), which makes guranteed upgrades potentially meaningless. (The Kimpton was upgrading me to a real suite, same for the IC Saigon as Diamond Ambassador)
- The renovated rooms are nice, especially the bathrooms. But there are problems. One example is the light switch. They installed some kind of intelligent system where the same button switches on all the lights, a second press switches off a few of the lights, a third press switches off more lights and the forth everything on again - except that some random lights seem to stay on. It will take a while to get the room dark at night. (This in addition to all the lights coming on randomly, that problem went away after a technician resetted the system
- They replaced the workdesk with a round table which is less good for working. In theory you could use this as a dining table, but there is no second chair high enough for the table.

It's actually terrible for working on. It's pretty shocking that this Classic High Floor room is 9720 THB++.

The suites are still in some order of renovation and still not for sale (during my end of July stay).

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 30, 2023 at 7:46 pm
Old Jul 30, 2023, 7:33 pm

After a few nights at the IC Bangkok my observations: I am currently at the IC Saigon and was staying at the Kimpton in Bangkok earlier this year and I am using them as reference points:
- They are not selling suites yet, but have several levels of what seems to be the same room (just different floors etc), which makes guranteed upgrades potentially meaningless. (The Kimpton was upgrading me to a real suite, same for the IC Saigon as Diamond Ambassador)
- The renovated rooms are nice, especially the bathrooms. But there are problems. One example is the light switch. They installed some kind of intelligent system where the same button switches on all the lights, a second press switches off a few of the lights, a third press switches off more lights and the forth everything on again - except that some random lights seem to stay on. It will take a while to get the room dark at night. (This in addition to all the lights coming on randomly, that problem went away after a technician resetted the system - and no, it is not a Microsoft product)
- Nice very big intelligent TV, except that it was coming on in full brightness by itself at night. Disconnecting all the cables on the back helped.
- They replaced the workdesk with a round table which is less good for working. In theory you could use this as a dining table, but there is no second chair high enough for the table.
- Club lounge is renovated, more airy, more seats. Food presentation is very nice, but quality and selection leaves a lot to desire. They seem to try to get away with the absolute minimum required by the brand standards and use much cheaper items than before. Also very limited selection. Compared to the offerings at the IC Saigon this is very sparse.
- AC in the club lounge was not working well. One day it was very sticky and humid, the next day a Polar bear would have complained that it is too cold.
- Breakfast downstairs: Same: nice presentation, but less choices, lower quality and cheaper ingridients. Compared to the Kimpton or IC Saigon this feels more like what you would expect in a 3 star hotel.
- Staff is friendly, nice, helpful, sometimes not very experienced or efficient.

I would give them a few month to debug the hotel. But if they don't change the offering I think they should charge only at the lower end of other 5 star hotels in Bangkok.
had a bad experience with ic Saigon. No suite upgrade (okay I am not expecting) ambassador upgrade was a corner room (but not a true corner room, just a base room on higher level)

Booked Ic Bangkok premium room at end aug. Was already pre upgraded to a jnr suite (ambassador one level).

Kimpton maa Lai suite is basically used to be called a premium room. (Probably renamed to a suite as their basic essential rooms are already huge, just to charge more)
Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:12 am

Programs: Spire Ambassdor

Breakfast @ Club Intercontinental. Steak come back.
kevino, demue, nicolas75 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by taecu

Breakfast @ Club Intercontinental. Steak come back.
All they need now is the roast beef back on a Friday with evening drinks and things will definitely be looking up
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: Life
Originally Posted by shoven
All they need now is the roast beef back on a Friday with evening drinks and things will definitely be looking up
For the $300 they want a night one could probably buy an entire cow in Thailand...unbelievable pricing for the offerings.
kevino likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Has anyone been able to use their food and beverage rewards here? Any hassle using the Annual Lounge Membership or getting Ambassador benefits here? Do they still allow a total of 3 people in the lounge? Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:41 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by kevino
Has anyone been able to use their food and beverage rewards here? Any hassle using the Annual Lounge Membership or getting Ambassador benefits here? Do they still allow a total of 3 people in the lounge? Thanks!
Food and beverage rewards worked fine for me in July.
kevino likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:20 pm

Against my own advice I was staying there again several days ago - i had to leave a suitcase in Bangkok.

Again, was woken up in the middle of the night.
First was by the TV coming on full force. Looks like they know about the problem with the TVs, but seem not to know how to solve the issue.
Second was somebody ringing at the door in the middle of the night. At first tried to ignore. It kept ringing and ringing. Finally got up. There was housekeeping at the door trying to deliver an extra blanket.

I also noticed more issues with the room. I don't think the renovation was well thought out. Several issues. One is the light system. There is no light switch at the door, only the slot where you put the keycard in. If you already have the card in you can find the light in the bathroom, but for the main light you need to go to the bed and find the correct switch. You could pull the keycard out and in, but that would reset airconditioning to antarctic mode.
Also the light switches are strange. The same button at first press switches all lights on, second switches some off, third some more (sometimes all) and forth all on again.

And just as an example for how bad the breakfast is: Here is a picture of the cheese section. They have a big shelf just for cheeses. But there are only 4 different (mediocre) ones taking up all the space. They make it look impressive, but the substance is missing.
Also other items are substandard. They have a big noodle soup station. My broth was far to salty, the meedballs were cold and the noodles completely undercooked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.