Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Singapore Master Thread [merged] - after Jan 01, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Originally Posted by ffay005
The auto-reply to my email enquiry: "Greetings from InterContinental Singapore! We had received high volume of request at InterContinental Singapore In-house reservation team that unfortunately experiencing an extended response times. Please be rest assure that your emails will be attended to as soon as possible."

Really? When did they stop speaking (or writing) English? Sounds like something you could expect from a three-star hotel in Chongqing, or whatever.

I hope the hotel is as I remember it. I will be staying this week. Breakfast is reportedly served at Ash & Elm, so even if it might be closed in the evening, it should be open for breakfast. Would anyone know if the buffet selection is as varied as pre-covid?

Moreover, the swimming pool reportedly needs to be prebooked. Are timeslots easily available?
The email they sent me stated that time slots for the pool can only be booked after checking in. I’m staying in 4 weeks and would be interested to hear your views on how it is now. I last stayed in February 2020, just before lockdowns were imposed and I’m really looking forward to going back.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I'll let you know! I'm flying tomorrow.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Thanks, have a great trip!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
a bunch of lurkers are counting on you to provide some details

My question is if breakfast is back to its full former glory at Ash and Elm - I enjoy sampling from all the stations
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
a bunch of lurkers are counting on you to provide some details

My question is if breakfast is back to its full former glory at Ash and Elm - I enjoy sampling from all the stations
That's my biggest question, too. I know it's served at the Ash & Elm, but I'm afraid it's still "assisted", which I don't like at all since that often means it's a bit laborious to get exactly what you want. And I also fear the spread might be reduced. Let's hope I'm wrong.

2.5 hours from SIN now... When I finally get there, I'll probably go straight to bed, but tomorrow, I'll let you know!
uastarflyer, Exsilver and schlegfr like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I am now at the property, A very poor experience as an Ambassador. Upon check in a young chap was checking us in. I made 2 consecutive reservations each for 2 nights as I had to use the free night cert on the last night which falls on a weekend.

As he was processing us for check in he asked for our pp's, mine was in my suitcase as we moved from another hotel into the IC. I said I can show that to you later and that if he could use my Canadian Ontario ID, he said no.
I then asked him as to which room did we get an upgrade to which and his response was there is not upgrade from a Junior suite for Ambassadors or Royal Ambassador's. In order to get an upgrade we had to book a corner room or another room type that he mentioned which I did not remember. He said we would get either 10000 points or $70 voucher. At this point I asked to speak with a manager and he said that he was the manager. So I asked who did he report to and he then referred us to another Manager.
So I asked as to why this policy was not mentioned on the website so that I would not have booked with the IC or renewed my membership.
She then said she can offer us the Heritage suite. I have 2 knee replacements and the suite she showed us was on the 2nd floor but you have to go down a flight of steps to get to it.

I went back to the lobby and told her we have decided to cancel our last 2 nights.
She then proceeded to say she has the Executive room for us if we would like to see it.
We did see it and said yes this would be ok and then she surprises us with an additional $300, that is $100 for the 3 nights and no additional charge for the last night which was booked with a cert.

I am really disappointed with the overall experience. Will not be returning to this property. I need to find out if the Bali IC is doing the same, if yes then I will not renew my membership .
The property is empty, lounge is empty, but yet you still do not want to treat your Ambassadors well.

So folks no upgrades beyond the Junior Suite with Lounge access that we booked.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I am now at the property, A very poor experience as an Ambassador. Upon check in a young chap was checking us in. I made 2 consecutive reservations each for 2 nights as I had to use the free night cert on the last night which falls on a weekend.

As he was processing us for check in he asked for our pp's, mine was in my suitcase as we moved from another hotel into the IC. I said I can show that to you later and that if he could use my Canadian Ontario ID, he said no.
I then asked him as to which room did we get an upgrade to which and his response was there is not upgrade from a Junior suite for Ambassadors or Royal Ambassador's. In order to get an upgrade we had to book a corner room or another room type that he mentioned which I did not remember. He said we would get either 10000 points or $70 voucher. At this point I asked to speak with a manager and he said that he was the manager. So I asked who did he report to and he then referred us to another Manager.
So I asked as to why this policy was not mentioned on the website so that I would not have booked with the IC or renewed my membership.
She then said she can offer us the Heritage suite. I have 2 knee replacements and the suite she showed us was on the 2nd floor but you have to go down a flight of steps to get to it.

I went back to the lobby and told her we have decided to cancel our last 2 nights.
She then proceeded to say she has the Executive room for us if we would like to see it.
We did see it and said yes this would be ok and then she surprises us with an additional $300, that is $100 for the 3 nights and no additional charge for the last night which was booked with a cert.

I am really disappointed with the overall experience. Will not be returning to this property. I need to find out if the Bali IC is doing the same, if yes then I will not renew my membership .
The property is empty, lounge is empty, but yet you still do not want to treat your Ambassadors well.

Sad to hear
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:40 pm

Annnnnd.... that is why I booked elsewhere. Same response about lack of upgrades and demands for paid upsells.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:38 pm

Greetings from Singapore.

On arrival, they give you a paper with a QR code that you need to use to book the swimming pool and breakfast time slots via the internet. The system accepts bookings for the next three days.

As for the pool, they can accommodate 35 people in the pool area at any one time, and I don't think I've ever seen so many people there at once, so that should not be a problem. You just pick any time you like. Yesterday evening when I went for a swim, there was nobody there to check any reservations. The pool is availabe 7 am to 10 pm.

Brekafast is at Ash & Elm and is now served from 7 to 11. Used to be from 6 am. I did not know you need to book a time slot, and was surprised to find only three times available (7, 8:15 9:30). Those same slots were available for each day, which was peculiar, so I asked at reception and they said that those are the only slots they publish and I should just pick the one that is closest to my desired time and then go whenever I like. Okay...

Moreover, you can also go down for breakfast without booking anything and they will accommodate you if they have tables available. The receptionist said that the hotel is far from full during the week, but staycationers fill it up on the weekends. We'll see.

The breakfast was "assisted buffet", and this morning at 7, it was relatively busy but there were enough servers so there was no wait. Fruit was limited to melon only + a few unpeeled pears and bananas. I miss the pineapple! Otherwise, the spread was more or less as I remember it, even Port Salut available again (they had some cheaper copy in between). Juices are available in small bottles. The egg station does not make eggs Benedict, but the omelette was good.

The fitted carpets are even more worn out than last time (2018, I think) and downright filthy at places. The rooms are cleaned every three days, or on request.
Exsilver likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
1). Thanks to both for your detailed reviews

2) Sigh…..

Well that confirms I will use a Chase capped free night cert at this property and spend $ elsewhere.

I was there many days in 2019 and quite liked it. Stupid COVID
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by djjaguar64

Sorry to hear this, just wondering what "Executive" is supposed to be? The suite above Heritage Suite meaning Premium Suite?

Actually, if you check under current Ambassador T&Cs here: https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...tes-exclusions then IC SIN only excludes upgrades to Ambassador Suite or higher so the part about not going beyond Jr Suite in is BS in my book.

The Heritage Suite would be the appropriate 1-Level upgrade from your booked room category though, so declining it (while understandable with your medical condition) "kind of absolves" them to do more. Having said that, a compromise may have been found with a bit more willingness by the hotel.

I'm not sure how much longer they will do so well on weekends with local staycationers, as now, with travel opening up, why would I want to stay in a hotel in my hometown when I can head abroad?

For IC Bali, not sure what room you booked, but as per the same suite exclusion list I linked above, they do not have to upgrade you beyond what used to be called a Club Duplex Suite. So it is best to book just a Clubroom and usually one would get the (former) Club Duplex suite, but given that is a two level suite with steepish stairs - with your hips - you would need to try to ask for the one level Club Suite which is only marginally more expensive, but officially excluded. Better reach out proactively to have clarity and ability to negotiate.

YMMV.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by demue
I'm not sure how much longer they will do so well on weekends with local staycationers, as now, with travel opening up, why would I want to stay in a hotel in my hometown when I can head abroad?
Honestly the pure leisure short regional trip which would be the main alternative to staycations is probably the slowest to recover. These are my subjective opinions but I think these sentiments are fairly widespread. Short trips to Thailand/Indonesia are still considerably more hassle/expensive than pre covid due to all the testing/insurance/forms required and there is still some uncertainty on whether the current quarantine free travel regimes will continue if there is a new variant. Vietnam/Malaysia/Cambodia are somewhat easier but still not as easy as before and are smaller leisure destinations from Singapore (excluding VFR which is big to Malaysia). International travel in most of Southeast Asia is still down 80% or more from 2019 in the last numbers I saw and Singapore is only hoping to get to half of 2019 levels by the end of the year. For longer trips or destinations in US/Europe/Australia this is less of a problem. Thus, I personally expect staycation business to stay decent for at least a few more months if not longer.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by quant88
Honestly the pure leisure short regional trip which would be the main alternative to staycations is probably the slowest to recover. These are my subjective opinions but I think these sentiments are fairly widespread. Short trips to Thailand/Indonesia are still considerably more hassle/expensive than pre covid due to all the testing/insurance/forms required and there is still some uncertainty on whether the current quarantine free travel regimes will continue if there is a new variant. Vietnam/Malaysia/Cambodia are somewhat easier but still not as easy as before and are smaller leisure destinations from Singapore (excluding VFR which is big to Malaysia). International travel in most of Southeast Asia is still down 80% or more from 2019 in the last numbers I saw and Singapore is only hoping to get to half of 2019 levels by the end of the year. For longer trips or destinations in US/Europe/Australia this is less of a problem. Thus, I personally expect staycation business to stay decent for at least a few more months if not longer.
Possibly, we are both here in SIN, so I guess we will see firsthand how things develop. Just from recent conversations, most of my colleagues are now saving (leave time & $$$) for trips abroad expecting things to get even easier around May and especially when school holiday period comes around. Local staycations they won't spend on any longer unless they still got some previously bought vouchers or credits to burn or so. YMMV.

​​​​​
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by demue
I feared the place would be a zoo due to all the staycationers over the weekend, but no, it wasn't busy at all. No problems booking times slots for breakfast or the pool, and no more than a dozen people in the pool area at any given time.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I looked online at what the Executive suite is and its actually the premium suite. The lounge is dead. No more dress code, flip flops and shorts allowed as well as screaming kids. The lounge staff was great, excellent service. So guess what. Upon checkout the $300 they charged me was refunded with an apology. The GM also responded. So basically, as an Ambassador or RA. you will get an upgrade to the Junior suite if you book the corner room or he mentioned another room type which I cannot remember.

What I disliked was the check in agent not the Front Office Manager who checked us in. When I asked who the manager was he used a hand gesture to his name and said that he was the manager, very condescending attitude.
Best staff and kudos go to the Lounge staff. Next stay will be at the Fullerton or the Kempinski next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.